Why is the play queue in Roon Radio hidden?

Right now you need to ‘like’ or ‘dislike’ a song whether you have heard it or not - you cannot keep your input as ‘neutral’. With a queue you can choose to give positive feedback for some songs, negative for some, and leave the others as is and come back after you have heard them.

To your point on Add / Don’t Add… a better alternative (if the list isn’t possible) is to have a third button that allows you to just cycle to the next song without either liking or disliking.

The other point still stands though - it would be beneficial for anyone to see what are the next 10 songs at a glance and easily remove them / change the order etc without having to cycle songs and give forced feedback one by one…

@mike

How do you reconcile this with what Roon actually promises in the blurb ever since v1.6, namely a personalized radio?

It seems you guys announce to do one thing and then proceed to do the diametral opposite.

This is very baffling behaviour.

You can, just don’t select either option.

2 Likes

@Carl Hi there! I did try to again see if this is possible… and it isn’t. Allow me to clarify - what I meant was in the context of adding songs to the Queue tab which are recommended by Roon Radio. On the main Queue tab, with the Roon Radio vertical tab on the right side you can either add the song (by clicking on ‘Like’) or not add the song (by clicking on 'Dislike). To progress to the next song recommended by Roon Radio you need to click one of these buttons - you cannot progress by ‘not selecting any option’

If I am doing something incorrect please let me know. Anyway, the issue is not a deal breaker, thanks for coming back.

1 Like

ok, I see … in the context of something needs to pressed something to get Roon Radio to select the next track, to circumvent that Roon Radio only select one track at a time.

I guess we have gone full circle with this.

I’m a new Roon user and a better/more personalized radio experience was one of the Primary draws.

The Radio UI though seems very counter intuitive, and misleading.

1. For a song currently playing, you have to click the “forward” button to provide (dislike) feedback. Also there is no way to provide positive feedback? Why not just have a thumbs up/down button that’s more intuitive?

There seems to be no way to “Like” a song. The heart/favorite icon is grayed out. jumping through hoops to add a song to the playlist and then favoriting in the playlist is just bad UX. Also it doesn’t influence the Radio, so ultimately ineffective.

1. There is a thumbs up/down on the “Next” song in the queue. If it’s a Radio, chances are I don’t know the song, so feedback is meaningless. I really want to provide feedback on the currently playing song, not on the next song.

This is also hidden in the queue. Who would imagine that you have to go to the queue to provide feedback

1. When I Radio mode I want to “discover” music. So I agree with the other poster, seeing and editing the queue without necessarily providing feedback is important. Most of the time in Radio mode I actually skip track I really like, because I already know and like the tracks, and want to get to something new to discover. The current interface paradigm conflates the concepts of dislike and skip.

To summarize - favoriting a song, like/dislike to influence radio selections, and skip/edit playlist are all very distinct actions and independent of each other. Trying to reduce these actions into fewer buttons, only serves to make the UI more confusing and convoluted, not less.

2 Likes

2 posts were split to a new topic: Roon Radio - 1 star tracks is there a way so that roon skips them?

Hi @Seabreeze,
Welcome to the Roon Community. Next time you are playing Roon Radio, try this: Where the title of the song is playing on the bottom of the screen, click on it. That will bring up the Now Playing screen, which looks like this:

There, you’ll find a couple of the features you’re looking for. First, you can see the thumbs icons which lets you give feedback on the song that is playing. Second, you’ll see the heart for ‘favoriting’ a song. Note though, you can only favorite a song if you own it. Fortunately, if you don’t own the song there will be a link to let you add the song to your library.
As others have noted, there isn’t a playlist, per se, when in Roon Radio as it is being generated on the fly. You know, of course, you can generate the playlist by repeatedly clicking the thumb icon to build up the queue. But it does seem people want this done for them as a feature.

Hi Scott,

Thanks for the tips, However, it actually it’s quite inconsistent between the iPhone and Windows apps. My earlier comments were based on the iPhone app.

In the Now playing screen on the iPhone app, I get a greyed out “heart” icon, and no thumbs. On the Windows app for the same song, I get “Add Album to Library” and thumbs, but no heart.

If I go to the Queue on the iPhone app, I get the Next song with thumbs. If I go to the queue on Windows, I get the current song no next song and no thumbs.

Also a bug on the Windows app. When I start playing a Roon radio, there are no thumbs. After skipping a song, the thumbs appear

1 Like

Rather than start a new feature request, I’ll add a suggestion to this one:
Could Roon offer the option to list the next N tracks to the queue in Roon Radio upon getting a ‘long thumb’ click? Basically, rather than clicking in twenty thumbs up to load a queue, allow the user to add twenty tracks to the queue list with a ‘click hold’ on the thumbs up feature.

1 Like

This thread has been inactive for a while, but since Roon Radio still has the same flaws that are so clearly highlighted by @ChrisSU, @Poseidon and @Seabreeze, let me just echo their feedback and plea for change. I am a new Roon user (still in 14 day trial period), and I had heard many wonderful things about Roon Radio. But the design is terribly flawed, it turns out. We should be able to both see the next N entries in the queue (for some reasonable N), and be able to provide feedback on the currently playing track using the heart or thumbs-up button. If Roon’s design means that you have to add a song to the library before hearting it, then let the heart button do both at once, as happens in Spotify.

Please. I can see that Roon is overall great software, and I am overall loving it. But Roon Radio is crippled and badly designed, and could easily be improved.

Thanks for listening (if anyone is!),
C

2 Likes

I have to say that I deeply love Roon Radio and yet… and yet… I have to agree it would be a really nice improvement to see the next N upcoming tracks. Even better if you had the ability to knock things off that list.

3 Likes

I agree, not being able to Favorite ANY song at ANY TIME via a single tap on the Now Playing screen is ridiculous (whether it’s from Roon Radio or a Qobuz playlist or whatever – it shouldn’t matter!!! Just silently add it to my consolidated Roon Favorites). The entire point of streaming is to discover new music and favorite it if I like it, which hopefully feeds Roon’s algorithms of my personal music tastes and gives me better recommendations, so I can discover even more new music, creating a positive feedback loop.

I’m still on my 14-day trial and I mostly like the idea of the service, but many of the features have been implemented in completely baffling ways. It seems like the focus is on recycling things that are already in my library, despite the fact that it’s also connected to the millions of streaming tracks available on my Qobuz account.

I’ve used Spotify for 8 years, Apple Music for 2 years, Rdio for 3 years, Slacker for 3 years, Pandora for 3 years, and Tidal and Qobuz for a few weeks and I never had any trouble navigating ANY of those services and doing what I wanted to do. Roon is the befuddling exception. I honestly expected a more intuitive experience from a service that sells itself primarily to the high-end of the market.