Why spend the extra money for a Nucleus rather than a less expensive desktop computer?

No, that is just facile analysis. The Pentium Gold is a T series desktop CPU, not a U series laptop CPU. And it is 30-50 percent faster than the i3 in the Nucleus.

AJ

1 Like

I used a Pentium-based tiny PC for quite a while with zero issues until I moved to an old laptop for unrelated reasons.

I do hate intelā€™s naming schemes. Apologies if that is indeed the case.

One thing is for certain, the M1 performs better than both so performance wise, still doesnā€™t make sense.

It does however make sense price wise.

Given it performs better than the base nucleus, yes it does make sense price wise.

And the Pentium Gold is not ARM, nor does it run macOS, neither of which is optimal for Roon.

AJ

2 Likes

Danny seems to think itā€™s pretty fantastic. The native version is also running on his Mac in beta.

Clearly the windows option makes more sense from a budget perspective. I was not aware that the pentium was better than the i3.

Iā€™d still argue that the M1 mini makes more sense for a non technical user given Apple has physical stores for servicing and typically (but not all), non technical users gravitate towards Apple products.

That does not change macOS, which seems ever increasingly unfriendly to third party and/or non native apps, especially those that overlap with Appleā€™s own apps. Apple Music, iTunes, AirPlay and the walled garden mindset are not exactly conducive to Roon.

AJ

5 Likes

You are indeed right. I stand corrected.

While I donā€™t disagree with you, it is speculation as Roon has yet to encounter serious issues with Apple lockdown.

Also not relevant to someone buying a low effort friendly core.

If this does happen in the future, then Roon could drop support and in that hypothetical fiture, an M1 mini wouldnā€™t make sense.

I would love to have the Nucleus in my system. Sold one, due to network issues (mine). I run a used MacMini stripped down to almost nothing but Roon Core. Honestly, for the price of a new Nucleus I can swap out three used Minis that play just as well.

4 Likes

This is the key point. Whether it is windows or mac, there are solutions that are friendly to non technical users that cost a fraction of the nucleus.

4 Likes

hi, used to use my macbook pro, no problem with this, but i listen to a lot of music, i.e. every time I boot the laptop, it only runs for music, (actually meant for many other things).
With the nucleus, put it on in the morning and off before bed. music all day from the iphone or ipadā€¦

You can do exactly the same with a Mac mini, NUC, PC, or any other device that can run Roon.

2 Likes

Well, yes, but does that matter in an audiophile context? These folks spend oodles of cash on completely pointless and sometimes counter-productive frippery, just because it looks cool.

I got my Nucleus directly from Roon for $1119. It was new but had a blemish I could never find.

I think the question to ask is what a Nucleus can do that a Mac mini canā€™t?

There are many devices you can use to run the Roon core. Each has their pros and cons. Get the one you want. I wanted a Nucleus, so thatā€™s what I got.

2 Likes

Have you tried one of the dummy HDMI plugs to make the Mac Mini think a monitor is attached. These were particularly helpful with older Mac Minis, e.g. to get them to use the GPU even over VNC.

Good luck!

1 Like

Even with an actual monitor, I could not get the Mini M1 going without a keyboard. Once I logged in that way, VNC worked fine until I updated to macOS 12.5, when I had to the whole thing again. Maybe thereā€™s another setting Iā€™m missing, but overall Apple seems to be doing their utmost to make headless use a PITA.