Why spend the extra money for a Nucleus rather than a less expensive desktop computer?

Once remote access is setup correctly you should not have to connect a K/M/V again, I do this with my mini and screenshare to it for the last year + including setting up a new partition, cloning to it and booting from it and then going to a developer build and running Ventura - so its all doable.

If you dont want to deal with VNC then can also try anydesk.com that is free for personal use and use unattended access

ā€œOnce remote access is setup correctly.ā€ Is there an authoritative source for correct setup? I had set mine up according to various discussions here and elsewhere. Iā€™m pretty familiar with Macs (since 1986) so Iā€™m not a total newbie. What I experienced is that when 12.5 booted on the Mini M1, Screen Sharing would not show the login screen. There might be some magical settings I missed, but it had been working headless until the update.

this is what mine looks like

older MacOS

Grab 2022-08-08 at  11.33.44

internet sharing I turn On/Off as needed but this is my laptop just as a reference

I use a menu app called screensharingmenulet to manage all my local macs

3 Likes

I originally used a Mac mini (Intel i7) but switched to a Nucleus+ The Mac mini was flawless but the Nucleus was just too attractive.

I love it and the industrial design and lack of fan are both good enough reasons to own one if you can afford it.

Just my opinionā€¦

2 Likes

Spent $200 on an old HP8300 SFF, i7, 16GB ram. Runs ROCK flawlessly.
Con - has a fan. Who cares, it can go anywhere in the house.
Pro - had room for a 6TB music drive internally in addition to the required SSD.

2 Likes

I have the Nucleus + and love it. I never have to touch it, look at it or even think about it. And it sounds fantastic. If you want one just do it. Life is short.

4 Likes

Because youā€™ve already bought audiophile power cables and audiophile USB cables and have nothing else to waste money on.

Otherwise, build your own server with a NUC.

Or not a NUC. It doesnā€™t need to be locked down; just set it and forget it.

Did you build your own dishwasher and refrigerator?

Do you buy a computer for every app you need?

I have several computers in several locations whose single job is to manage and process digital audio. Soā€¦

So you can also build your own dishwasher or refrigerator, because itā€™s basically the same thing.

I have created a poll to figure out how many Roon users would be able to use a non-Nucleus for their Roon server, should they choose to.

Roon usersā€™ basic computer literacy - Roon Labs Community

1 Like

Your poll is unrepresentative from the start, most Roon users are here. In addition, there are people who have the skills but would rather use them in more profitable ways than messing around with setting up Roon servers. Some of us like to control all the details of servers we use, but thatā€™s a bug, not a feature :crazy_face:

1 Like

I think itā€™s relevant. Even with a Nucleus, you still have to connect it, configure the network and set up the Roon server. The only difference is that everything is pre-installed. Am I missing something?

1 Like

Hopefully that was tongue in cheek, because I think itā€™s pretty clear what @Fernando_Pereira meant :blush:

If there were apps for refrigeration and dishwashing, I would install both of them on my desktop and save a lot of money. Unfortunately, thatā€™s not a choice. Installing your own Roon on the other hand is a choice available to virtually any person with a computer. Thereā€™s no analogy here.

1 Like

Thanks! Itā€™s shocking, isnā€™t it, the arrogance that most (self-appointed) techies show towards other humans who prefer not to tinker with gear for a variety of good reasons.

3 Likes

How is installing an app ā€œtinkeringā€?

1 Like

Just from memory, Iā€™ve seen a lot more in over 5 years on this forum:

• Windows users struggling with the right settings for audio USB
  • Mac and Windows users getting confused between Roon app and RoonServer
  • Windows and Linux (various distributions) users struggling with automatic RoonServer startup
  • NUCs that for this or that reason donā€™t boot ROCK, UEFI vs BIOS, ā€¦
  • Mac users struggling to run a Mac Mini headless consistently
  • Frequent questions and arguments about minimum specs to run Roon
  • Music play glitching when using the same computer for other tasks
  • Users misunderstanding the special role of the Roon Core vs typical apps
  • ā€¦
2 Likes