WiFi Router Recommendations?

In FRITZ!Box 7590 - FRITZ!OS: 7.50 I have this setting (default):

I have not been using ARC for some time. But I had many dropouts today. After disenabling “Layer 2 acceleration” they are gone.

I don’t know if that was the cause for the dropouts?

Torben

Alright, I missed that one.
No, throughput was as advertised before I changed these settings earlier today. I didn’t run any speed test yet, but my daughter happily streams videos in the living room atm while I listen to radio paradise in roon, so whatever the current speed is, it’s enough for now.

I rented a 7590, there’s no cable internet where I live. Maybe it has to do with that.
But let’s not derail this thread further. My original point was that if you use a fritzbox, it may be worth checking the settings, as the defaults were different for me than what your screenshots showed.

Oh, and, I’m sorry, I was wrong earlier on, I’m on fritz os 7.50, too, just like @Torben_Rick . Got my version numbers mixed up.

1 Like

Same experience, I set aside the Spectrum supplied router/Wi-Fi and installed TP-Link Deco mesh system. Routinely I’m seeing 550mbs on a 400mbs plan. The mesh modules supply three Ethernet ports each, working really well I’m quite impressed with it.

Count me in as one who is happy with the Eero mesh system. It has worked great for more than a year. In the last couple of weeks, my ISP (Comcast, basically the only game in town) offered me a “6” modem/router for no extra charge. I am now getting almost (974) a gig of download. I expect to upgrade my Eero to a “6” in a couple of weeks. Best thing : the older generation of Eero pucks is completely backward compatible with the three new “6” devices I will be adding to my system. And I trust Amazon to make-right any problems I have with the hardware.

1 Like

So a new coax modem for mode 6? I perhaps should inquire about this, mode 6 on my iPad was no impression good or bad honestly but perhaps a modem upgrade is needed. Thanks for the idea :bulb:

Then apparently the DSL Fritzboxes have a different OS version and different defaults. Anyway, if you don’t have Roon issues with these settings, then there is even more reason to rethink the years-old recommendation on the Roon help page.

This isn’t derailing the thread, the recommendation of models and their settings is the very topic of the thread

I use xfinity and have never used their routers and have never had a problem getting max speed through my selection without any throttling. They even have a list of what non xfinity routers are supported. If they are telling you that you have to use theirs, you’re not talking to the right person.

2 Likes

I know that, that we could have the Asus as the main router by having it ‘provisioned’ by Xfinity. As it is, with everything else going on, it was easiest to just run the one we had (long story why I won’t go into) as an AP. Yeah, one does have to talk to the right person at that company. My wife finally had to literally shout at someone over the phone today in order to finally get the service cut off at our old place after two weeks of asking (they kept trying to get her to ‘come back’ at our new address, even after explaining we still have Xfinity, just in a different account name now). And FTR, it’s only the wifi portion of their router that is throttling - I get full speeds via LAN out to both a Cisco 2960 1GB switch in the office and to the Asus router.

Yes, I am aware, and my Eero system takes the place of the router if I put the xfinity device into Bridge Mode. I am going to try it both ways when I have alll the devices in hand. I know I can purchase a separate modem as well, but a well respected one that also delivers the xfinity VOIP is about $350.

You can’t shut Wi-Fi off in their routers also, so if you have your own Wi-Fi access point setup - which I do with ubiquity - using the Xfinity router would just mess things up. And I hate paying the monthly cost for their router also.

Router is free - I would never pay a rental fee on any electronic device!

The free one provided by the ISP is often crap though

Yep, which is why we have the Asus as a separate access point. But that shouldn’t have to be - the provider should be giving out routers that go to the limit of the service one is paying for. Not everybody just happens to have a spare high end router laying around.

Just a WAG on my part I suppose but just because it’s not a separate line item on the invoice does not make it “free” Somebody’s paying for it.

Clever marketing 101 :wink:

A very good router with cababilities of a much higher priced equipment is MikroTik hAP ac

MikroTik Routers and Wireless - Products: hAP ac

Its running “RouterOS” and there not much you CANT do with this router… it needs you to have some extended knowlege in network protocols and different services, it is very simple to setup up for a novice person in there “Quick Set” menu but if you want to do more advanced setup there is “almost NO limit” of what you can do with it… there are newer ones also but this cover all my needs and ALOT more…

For you who want to know more about “Router OS” Getting started - RouterOS - MikroTik Documentation

Now when i did some reading i will buy there new version :slight_smile:
MikroTik Routers and Wireless - Products: hAP ax³

ASUS Zen AX Mesh Wifi. Great stable mesh router but you have to be careful with the firmware. Asus often breaks the performance with the firmware updates. I am on an old version (1 year old) and it is rock solid.

If you’re stuck being an Xfinity customer (like me), I highly recommend abandoning their Modem/Router combo box and purchasing a new router. I’ve been a fan of Asus routers for years. But also, for those that are Xfinity customers you most likely have coaxial cable lines in multiple rooms of your home/apt. One of the best ways to get rock solid wifi is to add in Moca boxes and add in an Access Point by using the coax that exists already in whichever room you have the access point located in. We have two Asus routers in the mix- one as the router in the front of our flat (RT-AX58U) and another in the back (RT-AC3100) in Access Point mode.The two are connected through Moca boxes (Actiontec ECB6200) which allow for nearly identical download and upload speeds with either router. The Moca boxes also allow for hard wire ethernet connections in the back of our flat as well as the front. My Roon Core is on an older PC and is running wirelessly to a Wiim Pro (hard wired) and two Wiim Mini’s (wifi). I have zero issues streaming full Hi Res audio to any of the Wiims.

1 Like

Thanks for the recommendation. Yes, we have coax going to some of the rooms. But for now, nobody’s complaining, not even my gaming 13 year old, so will leave for a future project. Far too many other gremlins in the new house to spend money on. And being a wood house, it was easy enough to cut holes to run ethernet cable on the outside, so my entire office setup (hifi, NAS, computer etc) is hardwired via a Cisco 2960 1gb switch.

Unifi in two homes - both large-ish. One is in a fairly dense neighborhood, the other is spread out over a few acres and linked by fiber running between two houses and a barn.

If I were setting up Wi-Fi that had to be solid for a technophobic friend I would set up a Unifi UDM Pro, an 8-port switch, and a handful of Unifi APs. And I would administer it remotely using the fabulous apps / browser apps. If the friend were ambitious I’d teach them how to do a number of tasks.

If i were technophobic myself but wanted rock solid I would buy Amplifi Alien gear.

1 Like

I’d like to second @Johnny_Ooooops said. I have a 3500 sqft home and Unify access points and switches. I do find that they have lost their way with routing, so I use a protectli box running OPNSense instead of his recommendation of the UDMPro.

I hope the UDMPro gets a bit more stable and then I’d highly recommend the whole system.

The unifi access points and switches have been bulletproof for me. wifi streaming, even with roon’s microscopic sized buffer is reliable too.

Sheldon

1 Like