WiFi Router Recommendations?

Not sure if I’ve commented on this thread. When using single RAAT’s I never had any real issues. However, grouping 2,3,or 4 together was a nightmare. So I finally bit the bullet and changed everything I had. Probably way over kill but even with 4 zones it never blinks.

Router is a SonicWall Tz 400. Best part is it also has 8 LAN ports so all 4 RAAT’s and the Nucleus + land there. All with static IP’s.

WiFi for everything else runs off an Araknis 310 POE switch to 5 Ruckus Wirless R720 AP’s.

I love, love, love our Asus RT-AX88U. The thing is bullet proof, fast, good security, with strong signal.

We have it in our basement storeroom with wifi available throughout 4500 sqft house.

I think your setup is EdgeRouter X - switch - Roon Core, with the WiFi access point also connected to the switch.

If you do not have the switch and direct connect the Roon Core to the EdgeRouter, only then would your setup be similar to the one my coworker failed to make it work.

Seems there are numerous routers that work well with Roon. Lots of successful setups and recommendations mentioned in this post.

I use the ASUS GT-AC5300 with 8 ports and 3 wireless bands. Centrally located in the house the single unit provides good wireless coverage all around our property. Can’t say if the performance/coverage it is better or worse than others mentioned but it works very well.

I have no switch. It’s router to AP with no switch in between. Works fine

I am currently using an Apple Time Machine router. It provides adequate wi-fi coverage but as I add more and more devices, particularly a new KEF LS50WII with hi-res streaming, I am considering upgrading my router. We have a Ubiquiti access point in an out building that works fine and I have read many good comments about their products. Of particular interest to me is the “Alien” router. It has a similar for factor as the Apple and lacks the hard drive but from what I can determine, offers a stronger coverage and faster speeds than the older Apple. Anyone have any experience good or bad with this router?

I had the amplifi mesh system (the white one) and it was clearly a step up from my time capsule. But I then upgraded to a real unifi system with three wired access points and my signal strength in the house and speeds were much better and more consistent. The amplifi was quite nice, and about 1/3 the price of the current unifi system. I live in a steel framed house that is a wifi nightmare. If I was in a traditional stick-built house, the amplifi system would have been perfectly fine for my needs, My house is two floors and is about 3500 ft^2.

Both the amplifi and the unifi systems were (and are) more trouble-free than the time capsule. Apple’s networking was great at the time, but they dropped it like so many great things (looking at you ClarisCAD and magsafe on the laptops).

The amplifi is super easy and should cover most houshold needs. The unifi is more of a building block sort of system. It’s a lot harder to figure out what you need to buy and how to piece it all together, but the results are a more industrial solution.

Sheldon

1 Like

Just got one of these a couple of weeks ago, and have been most impressed. Very good wi-fi coverage and 8 ethernet ports to boot.

NETGEAR Nighthawk 8-Stream AX8 Wifi 6 Router (RAX80) – AX6000.
53 device connected to my router, restart 1 time for 2 years.
https://www.amazon.com/NETGEAR-Nighthawk-8-Stream-AX6000-Router/dp/B01MQDZXA4/ref=sr_1_2?dchild=1&keywords=netgear+ax80&qid=1603062709&s=electronics&sr=1-2

Google Nest WiFi Pro - Wi-Fi 6E, very user friendly, you can manage it wherever you are, away from home.

Mike, I know I am resurrecting an old post but must comment on the Fritzbox recommendation in the linked page. It is not quite accurate and problematic.

The FRITZ OS 7 update includes a feature called “Software Packet Acceleration” that can cause issues with remote connectivity. We recommend disabling this setting from the FRITZ GUI.

There is not one such setting. At least now, Fritz OS 7.29, this has two related settings and the wording differs. These are the defaults on my privately owned FB:

Layer 2 acceleration maintains its own traffic tables and can increase throughput by avoiding packets having to traverse the full IP stack, but when reading a detailed description on Google I can easily imagine that this can interfere with Roon. It’s also very unlikely to be necessary in a home network. I would leave it off, as by default.

The Hardware Acceleration, however, simply enables, well, hardware acceleration in the Fritzbox and I have never, ever seen any issue. Disabling this makes it run essential code in software and absolutely kills throughput. My 300 Mbps Internet link drops to 75 kbps and wifi performance is seriously hampered as well. That can’t be good for Roon operation.

[Edit: thinking about it, I realize that the Roon help page says “disable software acceleration” which seems to me a different wording for “enable hardware acceleration”. Maybe the AVM guys changed this in later updates of Fritzbox OS 7.x]

The settings are well hidden in the support section and I’d guess for a reason:

1 Like

Here’s an example of how your provider can throttle your actual speed: we just moved to a new house, and pretty much Xfinity insists on using one of their free routers. Our service is rated to 800gbs, but the wifi was only sending out around 400, at peak. So, I just happened to have an Asus gaming router that we hooked up as an access point only, stringing an ethernet cable outside the house from the LAN of the Xfinity. The Asus 5200 gives over 900mbs at peak, more than we are actually paying for! So the provider supplied router was actually throttling speeds through the wifi (not the LAN). The irony: soon after setting up the service, I get an email from Xfinity asking if I’m unhappy with the speed I’m getting and would like to upgrade. Charlatans.

1 Like

Thanks, I didn‘t know about these settings.
On my Fritzbox, the defaults were different, though, Layer2 was active, Hardware was switched off. So it may be worth to take a closer look.

Weird. Fritzbox OS 7.29 as well? And your own Fritzbox (I have my own) or rented from ISP? Maybe you can get a free speed boost by enabling the hardware acceleration :slight_smile:

There won’t be any harm running with Layer 2 acceleration as well, I suppose, as long as Roon has no issues. Perfectly possible that there were bugs when FBOS 7 was released that have since been fixed

Yes, 7.29, but on a rented box.
Didn‘t notice faster speeds yet, though. :wink:

EDIT: I was wrong, I’m on 7.50. Sometimes I’m stupid…

not sure if it is true for me?

i have my own netgear modem instead of the xfinity router, my service is rated at 1gbps, but i always get around 700 gbps to 800 gbps, despite the fact that my netgear modem can deal with 10 gbps. so the isp provided router/modem is not the limiting factor.

What’s your regular ISP connection speed?

250/50, but I understood your remark as a joke. I‘m not expecting that a change of these settings magically makes my internet faster. And I‘m not even sure if I would notice if this were the case. At least as long as isn‘t a significant increase in speed.

Well like I wrote before, I have a 300 Mbps (down) connection, usually I get 325. When I tried the options yesterday, turning off the hardware acceleration immediately reduced the throughout to 75 Mbps, and turning it on again restored it to 325. This was reproducible every time.

So actually I was being serious. I was wondering if your down speed may be at 75 at most, because clearly that is what my FB can handle without hardware acceleration.

Don’t know why you don’t see an effect, but maybe different model (I have the 6690 Cable, the top model, privately owned) or in your rented one the ISP didn’t remove the toggle but in fact it does nothing and hardware acceleration is always enabled regardless