WiFi sonos speakers and network bridges

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
Windows 10.

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)
PS Audio Jr DAC with network bridge.

Description Of Issue
Today I bought a Sonos speaker to extend sound into my screen porch. I now discover Wi-Fi speakers made by Sonos cannot play what is in the wired rooms simultaneously. Drats that is all I want a Wi-Fi speaker to do.

Are there any Wi-Fi speakers that can play what is on the wired system simultaneously? I bought WiFi because I cannot run speaker wires to porch.

Thanks

Hi Ross. If I understand it correctly, you can only group end points that are using the same protocols, and as Sonos has its own that means you can only group a Sonos speaker with another Sonos speaker for example.

If your wired system is a PC, I’m not sure what you could group with that, but others will know I’m sure.

thanks, you understand my situation. It feels like bleeding edge technology if the wired and wifi cannot play the same music at the same time.

Hi @Ross_Reller,

Sonos devices use a different protocol than your wired DAC, PSAudio uses RAAT while Sonos has it’s own protocol. For you to be able to group them, they have to be using the same protocol (as mentioned in our Zone Documentation.

There are quire a few RAAT wireless speakers out there, Bluesound and KEF, B&W are a few popular options for wireless speakers, but you can look over our Partners Page for more detailed info in this regard, or ask in our #roon section of this website for suggestions.

Just as an additional note, while the wireless speakers may work properly in your setup, we would always recommend using Ethernet whenever possible for stability purposes, as this works better for streaming high-resolution audio. Hope this helps!

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.