Will Roon remember my library edits / hidden / grouped if I move my library and/or change folder structure?

Hi-

I spent a bunch of time organizing my library - hiding old MP3 recordings I have of live sets, random partial albums from the Napster days, Identifying hard-to-find albums, grouping recordings where I had both MP3 and FLAC, adding Tidal where I only had MP3 and grouping, etc. The same kind of maintenance anyone has to do when they have 10k albums.

Now I’m interested in moving my library for a couple of reasons:

1. I’d ideally like to buy a USB SSD to plug into my ROCK so that my NAS doesn’t have to wake up all the time (I’d copy the folders from the NAS to the SSD and then keep them up to date with an rsync job, with the NAS as canonical)
  2. I do want to do a little maintenance to the folder structure - I have two folder structures from different points in my life that I’d ideally like to merge

So here’s the question… If I move albums around (either intact folder as in 1, or changing folder structure as in 2), will Roon remember what I’ve done with them - identification, grouping, hiding, etc? Or will I have to re-do all the work I’ve already done? I’m guessing the answer may be a bit nuanced.

Thanks,
John

If you do them in two steps then you would be fine. First move location then once updated do the tidy up - or vice versa.

Copy all your music to the external drive but keep the folder structure the same!!!. Now connect it to your server and edit the path of the watched folder (wich was on the NAS) to the new location (the ssd) As long as all of the subdirectories are the same everything should be just as it was.

Super helpful. There is one complexity, however… and maybe this gets back to what @ged_hickman1 suggested. I’m currently facing a problem where some of my folder/file names have accents, which (1) Roon can recognize when importing the library, but (2) Roon cannot recognize on play, and (3) when I try to copy over to the SSD drive do not arrive - they fail silently.

The write-up is here:

So I think what you’re saying, combining both of your suggestions, is “Fix the darn accent issue in place on the NAS, and once you’re 100% sure that you’re getting a complete and perfect copy, then copy it over and change the directory the library is pointing to”

What do you think? - and thank you thank you!

Yes, fix it first as you don’t want any uncertainty as to whether it was the move that is causing issues.

It should not matter in which order but if you fix it on the NAS first you automatically have a good working backup of all of your music.

1 Like