Will the Mojo 2 give justice to Hifiman Sundara?

I just bought a pair of Hifiman Sundara.
Never had a planar magnetic headphone before and I’m wondering if the Mojo 2 (which is my only dac/amp at the moment, mainly used as desktop dac paired with the chord poly and connected to the Nucleus over wifi network) is capable to drive this headphone, since I heard these are not the easiest cans and they requires power.

As shown in the manual it should be enough power to drive them:

Passion for Sound claims in his review of the Sundara that 400mW should be more than enough.

Has anyone experience with this combo?

I have two planars (Meze Liric and Audeze LCD 2C) and my trusty Mojo 1 has no issues driving any of them.

But since you already have the Sundara and Mojo, the ultimate question is: how does this combo sound to you? :slight_smile:

1 Like

Thank so much for your post! That’s reassuring! :slightly_smiling_face:

I’m actually not there yet.
They should be delivered within the next couple of days.
I can’t wait to play them and I will surely let you know! :wink:

1 Like

Just don’t expect the Mojo’s battery to last too long when powering planars at high volume :slight_smile:

Enjoy the Sundara :metal: I know @Michael_Harris loves his.

1 Like

Sundara are nice easy listening headphones that I find works nicely.
The Ananda are a better headphone that I enjoy even more, but both are good.

I have found that the Sundara are not that hard to drive, but beyond a mobile phone for sounding good.

2 Likes

You’re now making him want the Anada LOL

3 Likes

I have the Mojo 2 always powered in desktop mode so I don’t have to worry about the battery.

I come from the Beyerdynamic DT 1990 Pro and the Sennheiser HD 660s (and a couple of Grados, which are my favs of them all) and I’m looking for something that’s more fun and easy listening than the DT 1990 Pro.

Ahahahah no worries, I was looking forward to buy the Sundara :laughing:
My next pair of headphone will be the Audeze LCD 2, maybe next year.
I’ve heard they’ve the best and finest bass without being muddy.

2 Likes

Have not heard the LCD 2 but I really enjoy my LCD 2C. Nice warm and relaxing listening experience. They are on the heavy side and will become uncomfortable after a while. Just a heads up :slight_smile:

1 Like

That’s good to know, thank you! :wink:
But what’s the difference between the 2C and the 2?

The LCD 2 are more expensive and I believe it’s mostly because of wood used on the ear cups and fancy travel case they come with. Don’t know any other details I am afraid.

1 Like

Just curious, how is the bass on the LCD Classic?
Btw thanks for the clarification!

1 Like

Bass is excellent without being overpowering. Snappy as it should be with planars.

If you have a hifi shop you can walk in and audition them, I strongly suggest you do this before purchasing.

They are not everyone’s cup of tea given the top end is recessed and have a very warm presentation.

I heard one reviewer refer to their sound signature as being “a warm kiss of death”. He meant this in a positive way of course and loved them.

1 Like

I really like my LCD-XC. While some find them “heavy”; I don’t even notice their weight.

1 Like

Now I’m even more intrigued! :grin:
I will definitely check them out on a store, just to see if they could be a match.

Oh, I didn’t know that! It’s quite true across models? Meaning, is it a planar feature?
If so I’d be really happy to hear that!

And the X weigh more than the 2C. You’re lucky being able to tolerate the weight :slight_smile:

I do need to take mine off for a bit after longer listening sessions. I guess we’re all different when it comes to tolerating headphone weight.

Yes, planar magnetic drivers have the ability to produce better bass. Not bigger bass, but better when it comes to speed, slam and texture.

edit Check Youtube for reviews. There are lots of reviewers talking about the LCD 2C and compare them to other popular brands.

1 Like

Yes, I’ll definitely be checking youtube for reviews and comparisons.

And that slam, speed and texture is what I really want to hear.
As long as it is in a balanced context of course.

The closest I’ve come so far is the Grado SR325x, which isn’t planar but has a lively, rich and energetic feel (and that’s just with the standard Grado Labs f-pads).
The only downside is comfort; Grados are not the most comfortable cans around.

Never heard the Grado but I read many like them.

I would also suggest you consider the LCD X @rugby has. Those are not as dark as the LCD 2C and your Mojo won’t have any issues driving them either. They are a bit more money than the 2 or 2C though but plenty of pre loved ones on eBay.

1 Like

Thank you again for the tip!
I will give them a try as well at some local store here in town.

In the meanwhile I look forward to put my hands on the Sundara and see how planars sound!
So curious! :wink:

2 Likes

The Sundara are your first step into the planar magnetic headphone world. It’s only down the rabbit hole from there.

Your wallet will eventually divorce you :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I hope my wife will still be around by then!
I see her looking around my studio with very suspicious looks everytime I have a new toy/gear :grin:

3 Likes