Will they ever properly fix iPhone iOS scrolling issues?

How long now have these iOS scrolling fits been going on. Seems like years with still no fix for all pages. If anything it keeps getting worse. In release notes for updates I see fixes to scrolling mentioned but I don’t see any of this in reality. It’s pretty dreadful most of the the time on my iPhone 13 at the moment. If it’s fresh starting it’s fine but as you use it more, switch apps a few times when on pages with more info such as the album info it just becomes jumpy as hell. A restart and it’s fixed for a while. Another memory leak ?Surely they can’t be happy with how this works it’s not hard to discover it.

https://1drv.ms/v/s!AgHQUEVFVR_ngY_sC9oT2aXdYqngAnk

4 Likes

It’s not that bad on a “ProMotion” display, perhaps its something to do with the 60hz refresh?

But you don’t get these issues on Android nor with other apps.

1 Like

It’s shocking on my iPhone 14 pro with promotion

Edit: in fact it is better if I turn the high frame rate mode off in iOS Settings and let it run at 60Hz

I was going to suggest getting an Android phone and keeping the iPhone for iMessage, but I didn’t want to sound like that person. Glad I didn’t do that :roll_eyes:

We need to bring our quiet again friend @RBO into this conversation, I believe he has thoughts and feelings about this that he occasionally needs to get off his chest

Same here. iPhone 12, and I can repeat the scroll → crash over and over. What frustrates me is natively written apps like games and the like never have this issue. Wish Roon would just hire a competent iPhone developer.

4 Likes

The request by Roon support in the longstanding thread was for affected people to open a new Support thread and include videos to be shot with a second device to include the precise finger movement. As they can’t seem to fix it consistently so far for whatever reasons, I suppose affected people have to deliver that, for better or worse:

I’m still waiting on my iPhone 15 Pro Max and then will join the fun, maybe. However, I can’t really see an actual issue on my iPad Pro M2 12.9, except a little Iess than silky-smooth scrolling if I scroll at speeds I usually don’t use in practice, personally. I suppose this might be what people are complaining about, and I’m sure it’s not doing the iPad justice and the device can do better (but to me it doesn’t appear worse than the Samsung Galaxy A 10.1, either. Though the iPad has way more power and admittedly should do better than the middle class Galaxy). But if that’s it and I’m not seeing worse on the iPhone, I’ll leave it to more sensitive people and won’t bother, myself.

1 Like

It would also be nice if tapping the top of the screen brings it up completely like any iOS app.

1 Like

It will probably never be good if they keep using the current codebase. Difference with Arc (flutter) is night and day.

What a great ideas to put in more tickets into a system that’s already broken and way over capacity. How about they just get each current model of iPhone and use them in a way a user would in every day life. That means doing other things on it with Roon open you will see the issues after about 5-10 mins of regular device use, it’s not particularly hard to get it to do it.

1 Like

Android has its fair share of issues for the same reasons. The apps just too bloated for its own good.

1 Like

You get other issues on Android, I only switched back to iPhone last summer as I had so many Android Roon issues in a vain attempt to improve things. It just runs badly on any platform unfortunately as a remote so wrong I was to switch.

I think what you are saying it it’s just Roon and this is how Roon rolls.

Roon has always been a memory intensive app and when I got a phone with 16GB and the ability to lock Roon in memory, that was the day I stopped having non bug issues with Roon.

Can’t see how this bug is related to that though, and the fact that it works perfectly for some on the same hardware is more than a little bit strange.

I don’t get any specific issues on my Android phone outside of phone limited functionality issues.

The old thread is toxic and people posted lots of unrelated stuff. Some was fixed, and nobody knows what’s what anymore.

One problem seems to be that users’ swipe motions differ, and their sensibilities. So videos are needed. One person’s verbal description of hellish horrors may be my not experiencing or just not seeing the problem. (And I am not saying who’s right)

Not on my iPad. I believe part of the difficulty in fixing this is that everyone thinks that the issue they are experiencing is bloody obvious when it might not be.

I have to correct after testing this after my post: It is way better on the iPad (as it should be, but I suppose not as good as it could be). As a point of comparison, it’s not better for in the Qobuz app on the same device, FWIW.

All I do is look at an album or artist page and scroll up or down, don’t do any fancy gestures. Basic simple control as in any app.

Was not my experience at all on Google’s own hardware.

Yeah, and at least with the iPad it is just not happening for me, I suppose, at least not in a way that I see as terrible or even particularly problematic :man_shrugging: It may just be because I am insensitive to it, who knows.
Maybe I’ll change my mind and become very upset once I have the 15 Pro Max :slight_smile:

The thing with the gestures is that not everyone swipes the same even for simple gestures. One can scroll with thumb or e.g. index finger, in straight lines or more curved, with different angles of the finger tip toward the surface, etc. I mean, even in official Apple apps I experience one way to be very reliably interpreted and another less so. (Then I try to adapt to what works, but that’s me. It’s certainly also OK to complain if a common way fails)

It seems that one issue that was fixed was stuttering when doing a more curved swipe, i.e., with more lateral movement included in the up/down scroll. But well possible that this was not a complete fix.

IMHO if there are still issues and a developer says “I need to see a video of what you are doing that includes your finger, so that I can see exactly the actions and the finger movement”, then I would deliver that, if I wanted to get it fixed, whether I agree with the developer or not. At the very least, if I deliver, there are no excuses anymore.

1 Like

Ah I’m on Samsung s21.

I haven’t seen any OS- or hardware-specific issues on Fairphone 4 with Android 12 either, just the known Roon issues that I don’t have to elaborate