Windows 10 is Crashing [Resolved]

You need a ‘Roon Remote’ to control 'Roon Server", true. My point is that, excluding the somewhat obscure (IMHO) reason given by @mike, you don’t need both Roon and Roon Server on the same machine.

It makes Roon into a service for the entire home, as opposed to an app that may or may not be open at any given moment.

If you go on vacation for a week maybe you turn that computer off, but otherwise it’s always on and Roon is available for the iPad in the living room, or the AppleTV in the bedroom, etc. It’s a piece of infrastructure (like ROCK running in the closet), and it’s not going to get messed up because someone closed the app.

Obviously not the most common use case, and not one we spell out in our docs, but not completely unreasonable for situations where people are sharing a computer.

2 Likes

I have Roon and Roon Server running on my machine intentionally. And it is not out of confusion.

2 Likes

The exception that proves there’s a rule.:sunglasses:

But, why? Because of what @mike said?

Sorry, it’s probably my household, but I just don’t see the need for that.

[Added after some needed reflection]
Never mind, I guess I get it. With Roon, in its entirety running, one doesn’t need a separate remote and yet if you don’t want someone messing with it then you drop the interface and just leave the Server running. And by doing it this way, you don’t interrupt any music that’s already playing.

I still stand by my belief that this engineered way of doing things is not why many people have both Roon and Roon Server running on the same machine.

1 Like

Hi @Steve_Mesenbring ----- I just wanted to touch base with you and see how things are going/holding up.

It seems like you have gotten the answer you needed here, but I did not want to close this thread out, before touching base with you first :wink: Let me know and if further assistance is required, I will be glad to lend a hand.

Looking forward to your feedback!
-Eric

Hi @Eric thanks for checking in with me. Over the weekend, I moved the Roon Server from my main PC to my Macbook Air. Everything worked ok, except I was getting some skipping and pausing on DSD256 files when there was a fair amount of other network traffic. So, I hardwired my Macbook Air with a USB to Ethernet port, and put it on the same hub as my NAS. Since then, much less skipping.

My Windows 10 PC still freezes occasionally when playing Roon, but it is not a big deal to reboot and the other Roon endpoints are not impacted at all if it freezes up, which is great.

I have to say I’ve learned alot from these posts - so thanks to everyone involved. And, I am going to make @xxx happy since I’ll now admit that I’m one of the people who were running both Roon and Roon server out of confusion. Or, maybe ignorance? I didn’t think about the advantages of dusting off my old Macbook Air.

Thanks,
Steve

2 Likes