Windows 10 is Crashing [Resolved]

@support

My system: Windows 10 Pro on custom built Intel i7-490K CPU with 16GB RAM. Core resides on Toshiba SSD. Running Roon 1.3 Build 262 (64 bit). Music library of 29,000 tracks (3113 albums) is located on QNAP TS-453A. Network is Google Mesh. Audio output is multizone (Korg DAC to Focal Birds) or (Meridian Explorer2 DAC to Focal Birds) or (HifiBerry DAC+Pro to Focal Super Birds). Control points are usually Main computer, iPAD or Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge.

I leave Roon running on my main computer, which is booted up 24X7. No problems turning on Roon after a reboot and running it from my main computer. I don’t think it has ever crashed doing just that. And, I can always restart my main computer, start Roon and successfully play Roon through a control point in another room to my HifiBerry to Super Bird Zone. The problem almost always occurs the next day. I go to run Roon from a remote control point and it won’t connect. I go to my main computer and Roon is frozen. My main computer is completely unresponsive and there is no way to shut it off or even close Roon or any other program. Only able to shut off by manually turning off power to my main computer. This works everytime and I can restart everything just fine.

Last night, I was playing music via Roon on my iPad as a control point to a remote room (bedroom). I turned off my speakers and went to bed (but left Roon and everything else running). This morning, I woke up and turned on the speakers and the Roon radio was still playing random songs. I picked up my Samsung Galaxy S7, logged on successfully, saw the music playing and went to change to a different album/song and everything froze when I did this, and my Galaxy S7 lost its connection to the core and the music stopped. My main computer and Roon were frozen and I had to reboot.

My main computer almost never, ever crashes with any other program. I ran Roon successfully with this set up for a few weeks / months with no problem. Now, it crashes almost every night. Very frustrating.

Any ideas on what to try?

Thanks,
Steve

well, my first question is have you had a Windows Update recently that coincides with this new issue?

I do not remember implementing a Windows upgrade around the same time. But, there might have been one and I don’t remember However, I recently added new zones and that coincides. Before that, I only had one zone and I don’t ever remember experiencing any crashes ar freeze-ups.

You could try checking your drives for errors?

A post was split to a new topic: OpenGL error on app launch

Hi @Steve_Mesenbring ---- Thank you for the report and sorry to hear of the troubles. A few things, moving forward.

I would definitely recommend taking the advice given by both @Rugby and @Geoff_Coupe (:thumbsup:), as those a good starting point in addressing this behavior. Furthermore, I would like to kindly ask you to clarify something for me. You mentioned the following in your report:

" I picked up my Samsung Galaxy S7, logged on successfully, saw the music playing…"

Are you having to login to Roon from your remote device when you go to use the S7 remote?

-Eric

First, what exactly is your “main computer”? Intel i7-490K isn’t a known model. Maybe you omitted a digit.

Next, it’d be useful to know if Windows is completely dead. In another Windows system or in Android or similar, ping your “main computer.” (You will probably need to know its IP address in advance of failure (bearing in mind that the IP address might change across boots). Does the Windows target respond to ping? That response is fairly low-level, and a response indicates at least some pieces of Windows are working. If you do get a response, you might try Remote Desktop (assuming the target Windows was already set up to accept requests for Remote Desktop): In a command on another Windows system, do: mstsc /v: .

After rebooting the problem Windows system, do you get any notification about a failure? You may have to look in the Event Log (click Windows key; scroll down and click Windows Administrative Tools/Computer Management; click Event Viewer). In Event Viewer, click Windows Logs; search through System; it might help to scroll through Application as well.

I am also having problems with Windows 10. I just downloaded the Roon Core. When I click on the icon on my desktop, nothing happens. I am using a lenovo P50, with an I7 CPU and 32 GB RAM. The laptop has a 500GB SSD where the roon core was installed.

I am unable to open roon core.

I downloaded Roon Remote on my iPhone 6. When I load ROON REMOTE I get a page that says “Where do you keep your music?” It shows me my laptop and Windows. When I click on my Music folder it asks me about TIDAL. When I then try an log on to TIDAL it tells me my password and USERID is invalid.

I am unable to use either ROON or TIDAL.

Do you have any suggestions?

Larry

1 Like

Hi Eric,

Sorry, I was not clear. I do NOT have to login to Roon each time from my remote devices. I just open the Roon app on my Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge and my iPad air.

Thanks,
Steve

Hi James,

You are correct, I omitted a digit when describing my processor. It is an Intel i7-4790K processor.

When the system crashes, I am completely unable to access it. I have tried accessing using TeamViewer. After rebooting, I get no notification about a failure of any kind. I will have to check the Event Log next time it crashes. Anything in particular I should look for?

Thanks,
Steve

I’m thinking about solving my Windows 10 crashes another way - by moving the Roon core to a different, dedicated PC. I have Mid-2011 Macbook Air, 1.7 GHz Intel Core i5 with 4GB ram and 256GB SSD running OSX. This computer is not in use and collecting dust anyway, so I could set it up as a dedicated Roon Core. My concern is that there is no ethernet port, so if I run the Roon core on a laptop that is on wifi will I have problems? The obvious advantage is that I have a machine dedicated to Roon with no potential conflicts with other programs. But, it is an older, slower, less capable machine. Music library of 29,000 tracks (3000 albums) and growing. Will I be ok with this machine? Should I get a USB to Ethernet connection to hardwire the laptop to the same ethernet hub as my NAS where the music library is stored?

Are you saying the Windows machine was not dedicated to running the Roon Server?

I’ve noticed that, over and over again, people are confused about what they need to run and where. Some putting 'Roon" and 'Roon Server" on the same machine.

It doesn’t help that some old timers (those that have been here since 2015) atavistically refer to ‘Roon’, i.e. control+core+output, as 'Roon Core".

Yes, my Windows machine is doing many, many different things. It is my primary desktop computer. If that is a bad thing, then this gives me even more motivation to move the core from my primary desktop computer to my 2011 Macbook Air, which I could dedicate to the purposes of the Roon Server.

Well, perhaps I’m one of the confused. I’m running the Roon Core software (which I am using the term “Roon Core” interchangeably with “Roon Server” - I hope that is correct) on my primary desktop PC. I also use the Roon Software to playback music from this PC to a Korg DS-DAC-10R DAC. I also play music from this desktop PC to a Meridian Explorer2, at times. My music library resides on the QNAP NAS. I originally thought about locating the server on the NAS, but thought it would be better to run it on my more powerful PC instead.

Based on what I’m learning from this thread, I think I will keep the music library on the NAS, use the PC to play music to one of the DACs, and move the “Roon Core” or Roon Server to the MacBook Air. I hope the i5 4GB MacBook Air with the 256GB SSD is good enough to manage my music library.

Thanks for all of the help!
Steve

There are reasonable cases where you might want this, such as a desktop computer in the living room.

Since it’s always on it’s a good place to run the Core for the entire home, but maybe it also gets used for other things, like for work or the kids’ games or web browsing.

In this configuration, you can close Roon without killing music for the rest of the house, since Roon Server will continue running the Core even without the interface being open.

Sorry, I don’t see the benefit in that. The machine still has to be on. What is served by closing the interface and leaving the server running? Do you mean to prevent kids from screwing it up? OK, I don’t have any rugrats, so I guess that’s reasonable.

Still, I think people have Roon and Server running on the same machine out of confusion, rather than some master plan.

A few ways I could see it as useful is if it was running as a service that could be run while the computer is locked and across users. Or with no one logged in for that matter.

That’s true, but if that’s the way one wants to use it then one doesn’t need Roon, just Roon Server.

Dunno. I think it’s just confusion.

On any reasonably powered machine, especially an i7, multitasking shouldn’t be a problem.

Probable a case of pedantry on my part, but using the terms incorrectly adds to the confusion. So here goes -
Strictly speaking the entity 'Roon Core" doesn’t exist. I go by what’s on the download page. ‘Roon’ is the whole enchilada that lets you fulfill all of Roon’s functionality and control the product and output music to a connected system. ‘Roon Server’ is the functional part and the output part, i.e. everything in 'Roon" but the ability to control Roon from the serving machine. How this relates to your system and whether it’s causing a problem, I don’t know.

Wouldn’t they need Roon and/or ROONremote to control the server by the different users that would then log on. All users of the main computer, along with all the other control devices in the network,. would be using the ROON or ROON remotes to access the “server” that is always running in the background.