Windows 10 PC is not compatible with Roon app

Roon Core Machine

Acer aspire R14 laptop, Windows 10.

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Connected Audio Devices

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

I am new to Roon and my laptop, is not compatible with the Roon application and I am unable to open the app. I cannot find any helpful threads by searching the support thread.

Any suggestions on how to remedy this issue?

@Aaron_Bittner, welcome to the Community. Roon is compatible with Windows 10, but there may be something with your install that needs to be reviewed.

What version of Roon for Windows did you download, the Roon application or Roon Server:

https://roon.app/en/downloads

Roon will install everything you need to run Roon on the installed computer, while Roon Server installs the server component without a graphical front-end and needs Roon or Roon Remote to manage most of the functions with a graphical user interface.

Are you getting an error message when opening Roon? If so, what is it? What version of W10 are you using?

To be honest I do not know what I downloaded. I selected windows version and there were two files. I was able to complete the first dowload and the second one failed with the noncompatible warning. I found the roon app icon on my home screen, but nothing happens when I try to open it.

Do you see Roon or Roon Server in your Windows installed apps (either in Windows Settings or on the Start menu)? You want to install the Roon app (which includes Roon Server and is invisible to you) vs. Roon Server. If you have Roon Server installed, uninstall it and download the Windows Roon app from this link:

https://download.roonlabs.net/builds/RoonInstaller64.exe

2 Likes

What exactly was that warning?

How old is the laptop,
Is Windows up to date
Is it Intel Integrated Graphics (eg mine is HD Graphics 630 and is OK)

Which version of Open GL is installed , if it’s a old laptop it my be an old version , it’s a pre-requisite for Roon

The R14 was released in 2015 and has an Intel Core i5-6200U with regular Intel onboard graphics, this should be fine

@Aaron_Bittner - When you say your laptop is “not compatible with the Roon application”, can you give more details about the precise error message that you are getting? Thanks.

Wait, what? There is only one file to download, AFAIK. Once your download completes, open the file and you’ll be presented with the installer program which will install all you need to run Roon.

I have the Roon app on my desktop. I discovered I downloaded the same windows version twice from Roon. The app is installed, but I cannot open the app. No warnings or error messages when attempting to open the app. I restarted my laptop and still no luck with the app.

I reailized I downloaded the same file twice. The Roon app is downloaded on my laptop and the shortcut was created on my desktop. I try to open it and nothing happens. I restarted my laptop and still no luck opening the app. I just get the spinning wheel for a moment and then nothing happens. Not even an error message.

Which shortcut have you got on your Desktop?

Roon 2247

1 Like

The 2nd one.

Windows 10 has a compatability mode outlined below that allows for older applications to run in W10. This sometimes interferes with Roon if Roon is set to this mode. Can you confirm that Roon is not running in compatability mode:

Also, can you confirm that you all of W10 updates and drivers are patched on your PC?

Hey @Aaron_Bittner,

Ben with the support team here, thanks for writing in and for your patience! Sorry to hear you’ve had a rough go at getting Roon setup on your windows device.

I was hoping to get a status update to see how things are going? @Robert_F has outlined a crucial next step in troubleshooting in regards to making sure you have windows compatibility mobe for Roon disabled.

I’ll be on standby for your reply. Thanks! :+1:

1 Like

I reached wits end with getting roon to open up. I read the advice given and i am still clueless as to why it does not open. I was unable to find any correlations with the solutions provided.

I had this problem once. I had to totally delete Roon and install it again. Must have been a corrupted file or something such as that.

Hey @Aaron_Bittner,

Thanks for the update. To confirm, you have disabled windows compatibility mode?

Perhaps @Jim_F has a point in performing a completely fresh install:

1. uninstall Roon through Add/Remove programs.
  2. open your File Explorer and enable the option to show hidden files & folders.
  3. navigate to C:\Users\AppData\Local (or the equivalent on your computer)
  4. delete the folder “Roon”
  5. re-install.

Let me know if you’re still having issues after the above. Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 45 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.