Windows 10 upgrade

Yes Lars, I did try your suggestions. It didn’t work.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Since I have installed Windows 10, Roon’s video scaling seems to be off. The whole window does not fit on the screen – I am unable to minimize, since I can’t view the minimizing feature in the upper right hand corner.

Not having this problem with other programs.

Any suggestions?

One could fudge it by breaking DNS lookups to the update services like so:

Add all the windows update servers in your system32\hosts file and point them to 127.0.0.1

here is the list:

windowsupdate.microsoft.com
download.windowsupdate.com
download.microsoft.com
wustat.windows.com
ntservicepack.microsoft.com

@Mercman – I’m going to send you a PM so we can get some more information about your issue. Obviously something in your environment or install is causing issues that others on Windows 10 aren’t experiencing. Once we get some logs from your install, I’m sure we can figure out the issue, so stand by!

@steveoat87 – the issues you’re describing sound like video issues. Can you confirm what video card you’re using, and check whether updated video drivers are available for Windows 10?

Using NVidia GeoForce Maxwell, using windows 10 driver

Just fixed it using F11.

Sorry,

Bruce

I was able to fix my problem with Roon installing duplicate tracks for titles. I had to uninstall Roon and its settings and start a new installation. Everything is working properly now. It appears that Windows 10 updates from 8.1 might require a new install for some of your folks.

Very True. One could also use the Long Term Branch of Enterprise which will not get any non-security upgrades for 10 years; which is the way I’m probably going to go for my personal gaming and work machines. My other machines which are just used for casual browsing around the house can go with Pro as I don’t care if they get mucked up by an update.

I am always the skeptic on Upgrades in Place. I have done 3 so far with Win 10 and 2 have had issues that needed one or another software (Not Roon at all) re-installed or a replacement needed to be found. I personally always scrub my machine back to metal when loading a new OS. Everything is so much cleaner and you can NOT reinstall stuff you decided was useless.

I agree with you Daniel. But this upgrade was fast and easy with the option to revert to 8.1 up to 60 days. But I was prepared and updated a number of drivers and the computer Bios.

Time will tell.

I am no longer getting the noise when switching between PCM and DSD files as I did with WIndows 8.1. I was getting 2 clicks each time. For that matter, between DSD to PCM as well. WIndows 10 seemed to have solved that issue for me with 1.0 Build 30.

Good to hear you all having a good time with W10 upgrade.

First PC I tried - “Something has happened” !!! and the upgrade window just closed.
That has to be the best(worst) error message I ever saw.

Second PC - 92% complete and just sat there for hours with no clue whatsoever as to what it was trying to do, so I aborted and reverted (at least that worked, albeit not cleanly) What- no timeout with error code - M$ really need to improve on this sort of thing, simply dreadful imho (and I am no habitual hater on M$)

Mighty unimpressive given that this is being rolled out to the general populus most of whom wouldn’t have clue how to recover a PC from a borked upgrade.

Clean installs for me in future.

Hopefully my experiences are not the norm, all I wanted to do was to try W10 with Roon

In the meantime Roon v1.0 has just been a ridiculously good experience for such an early generation product, with barely a wrinkle for me, and support from the Roon folks here is nothing short of exemplary as I am sure many will agree.

1 Like

Thanks @thegruf – very kind of you, and we really appreciate it.

Here is a little tool to help all. It should solve all of the windows 10 “drawbacks” in one fell swoop.

(Edit: deleted by mods)

Yes, I had to clean install on my laptop. That went totally fine. Desktop upgraded smoothly without a clean install.

This is basically malware. The installer forces you to install a browser addition which, it says explicitly (at least to its credit), collects user data, and displays ads!

@sm31 Maybe forum guidelines need to be looked at, I agree with you and feel it should never have been posted.

Russ

Actually, I think threads like this should be in a different category. We are really discussing another software, not, Roon specifically. In fact, all the Roon working in one OS or another should be in this other category as much of the discussion decends into specifics of the OS installation and really has nothing to do with the Roon software directly.

Maybe under Support, Something Called “Installing Roon on different OS’s”? With a different Sub-thread per OS, Windows 7, Window 8.x, Windows 10, Android, IOS, etc etc etc.

Upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10 Pro this weekend and got two issues; one audio and the other visual. The audio issue was that my Integra DHC-80.2 was no longer recognized. This was resolved by setting audio to Use Exclusive Mode.

The visual issue is that Roon just shows me a white blank picture with a small Roon logo in the upper left corner after returning from a minimized window. I am running the onboard Intel HD Graphics 4000 with the latest driver. Anyone having an idea of how this can be resolved.

The current workaround is to close Roon after every artist or play Radio forever…

1 Like

I am also (still) seeing this on my Desktop (core) after updating to Windows 10 Pro, but not on my Surface 3 Pro (remote).
There’s another thread on this here and another one here.

1 Like