Windows 11 : Roon client will skip all tracks (output no sound) to System Output with WIndows 11

Roon Core Machine

DELL Windows Server on i3-2100

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Ethernet (cable)

Connected Audio Devices

Alienware Aurora R11 (i7-10700F) with Sound BlasterX G6
Windows 11 Home

Number of Tracks in Library

Description of Issue

Audio Output with ASIO on SBxG6 works as expected
Audio Output with WASAPI on SBxG6 on exclusive mode works as expected
Audio Output with WASAPI on SBxG6 not on exclusive mode does not work (skips all tracks)
Audio Output with System Output does not work (skips all tracks)

Problem appeared after installing WIndows 11

It’s not urgent, but it would be nice to have it fixed

I think if the operating system is set to exclusive mode for the better sound card, of course everything else remains closed, otherwise it wouldn’t be exclusive.

Of course the exclusive mode on the soundcard is “better” (theoritically) but it inhibits any sound notifications (for calls etc), it’s annoying. You can’t even put the music on pause to allow other application to use sounds… In other words, I can’t listen on the desktop unless I stop doing every other activity. :slightly_smiling_face:

Hi @Themis,

Windows 11 is not yet supported yet by Roon, however, I’ve tagged Roon @support so they are aware of this issue.

Thank you, @Carl
WIndows is gradually deployed on (recent) windows PCs by WIndows Update, it is not a big problem at the moment, but (if there’s indeed an issue) it might become shortly.

1 Like

This may be an issue specific to the SBxG6 driver and Windows 11. I’ve got RealTek audio hardware on my Gigabyte Aorus Elite motherboard, and Roon is working properly with it using WASAPI in both non-exclusive and exclusive modes under Windows 11.

Ok, you’re probably right, thank you for the time spent on this issue.

Well, if the problem is the driver, then I’ll have to wait until a new driver is available…

1 Like

A driver update of Creative Command fixed the issue this afternoon.
Btw, the update also fixed the problem where the dac failed to report its capabilities to the system (32bits/384kHz) and was seen by it as a 16/96 card.
Thank you once more @Carl and @Geoff_Coupe :+1:

4 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.