Windows Roon Server not starting after update to build 1324 [Solution - Reinstall Roon from https://roon.app/en/downloads]

You might be experiencing the issue discussed in this thread, with the workaround in this post. Not sure if it has the same issue & workaround with the server:

2 Likes

Having ok’d a Roon update today, the app will not open player.
Please help.

If you’re on Windows, try this -

After a Roon update installed in a Windows 11 machine I see the same issue. When I right click on the Roon icon on the toolbar Roon Status cycles between “started” and “error”.

I have the same issue. No clients see the server. Server boots on Windows 11 NucBox but the Status cycles every few seconds from Started to Error.

Roon Core Machine

Processor|Intel(R) Celeron(R) N5105 @ 2.00GHz 2.00 GHz|
Installed RAM|8.00 GB (7.78 GB usable)|
System type|64-bit operating system, x64-based processor|

Networking Gear & Setup Details

FritzBox - connected directly to Ethernet (via a network switch).

Connected Audio Devices

Windows 11 PC
HomePod Mini
Denon 3600h

Number of Tracks in Library

About 12,000.

Affected Product

Roon

Roon Issue Category

Description of Issue

After the last update, yesterday, Roon does not start.

Roon Core Platform

Windows

Roon Core Specifications

Dell Optiplex 3060, i3-8100T CPU, 8GB RAM, standard disk 250GB, 2 partitions 120GB each, Windows 10.0.19042. It has been working good since we purchased the Roon license. After last update it does not start. I was looking earlier today and found something about removing the file bits, which did not help. Let me know if you have a solution so that the music can low once again. My wired nodes are a Pi4 and BlueSound Node 2i. Sometimes an Apple phone is used to drive wireless spakers, all on the local WiFi network.

Connected Audio Devices

Pi4 with a DigiOne board and Bluesound Node 2

Home Network Details

Wired Gigabit, remote access to the Roon via network. All that works fine, but the Roon software does not start up.

You might be experiencing the issue discussed in this thread, with the workaround in this post. Not sure if it has the same issue & workaround with the server:

Thank you so much for pointing at this. Would not have thought that this might be the issue, but it was.

I put a link to roonserver …1321 on the desktop and start it manually whenever there is a need for.

1 Like

Roon Core Machine

Windows Server 2019 Standard
Xeon E2276G
16G Ram

Networking Gear & Setup Details

Intel(R) I350 Gigabit Network

Connected Audio Devices

DCS Rossini Apex

Number of Tracks in Library

Over 10000

Description of Issue

After Re-install the Roon, it still cannot start, only show the application error in application log.

Thank you for your answers.
But, it seems to me that this is a bug in the update and we shouldn’t have to bypass the shortcut.
Roon must have already been notified of this and I hope they will make the corrections soon!
Mario

1 Like

Of course it is a bug and shouldn’t be necessary, but it happened and until Roon fixes it with another update this seems to be the workaround to get going again.

See the post by Roon’s Vova toward the end of the thread I linked. Quick shortcut:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-fails-to-open-after-latest-update-ref-kytxck/252673/27?u=suedkiez

1 Like

Unfortunately, I tried to fix the problem by completely removing the software and reinstalling it, which caused me to lose but configuration…
From now on, I will wait before doing anything…
THANKS.

If you have a backup (and you always should), you should be able to restore it.
(And when uninstalling on Windows, it should ask whether you want to completely uninstall or leave the configuration and database in place. If you don’t have a backup, choose the option to leave the database)

I implemented the fix with the shortcut for the core (running windows 10) which I worked however ROON ARC cannot find the core nor can the 2nd music server (running windows 10) and I control both zones (servers) with ROON app which cannot find the core on my iPad and iPhone. I imagine that’s due to file not pathways/mapping to the file where the shortcut is. But I don’t know that stuff is way outside of my wheelhouse. So hopefully the fix will happen ASAP.

This just happened to me. I purchases a few tracks from Qobuz. they want you to now try their new installer. I installed it. Not only does Roon not open now, but I got several warnings and blockages from Norton that someone was trying to attack with an .exe file.

I’m seeing the same thing on Windows 11 after updating Roon server.

Not a happy camper.

This provided a fix:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/started-error-loop-after-update/252780/3

I put a link to roonserver …1321 on the desktop and start it manually whenever there is a need for.

1 Like

Thank you @Joachim_Herbert that was it!

Hello all,

We’d like to offer our apologies for the issues with the recent update. We now have the capability to release a build to the user base gradually, to a few percent of our users at a time, so that we can spot issues before they impact everyone, and this was our first exercise of that system.

Unfortunately, this update resulted in some Windows users being unable to start the software after taking the update. This update was made available to only a few percent of our users, and a minority of that few percent were impacted. While we are thankful that this did not have a broader impact, we can certainly understand that those impacted are frustrated.

We halted the rollout on shortly after issue reports started rolling in this weekend. This will give us time to address the underlying issue and re-test everything. We will be conducting a full post-mortem investigation to determine any process changes that are required going forward to prevent a similar incident.

If you were one of those affected by this issue, it is safe to download the current production build from Roon - Downloads and re-install. This should put you back into working order.

Thanks for all of the feedback on this, and again, we’re sorry for the turbulence.

4 Likes