Windows Server 2012 R2 [Solved]

Hi

I did not have very much time, but i think there’s actually nothing going wrong. One simply can’t fake an OpenGL capable graphics adapter, so no chance to get this running inside a VM or similar. I’t’s certainly possibly to narrow down exactly what DLL’s etc are really needed to get Roon working. But, if it works just fine when the Essentials Media Pack is installed, all good right…?

Best,
Phil

Yep, once Experience, and Media Pack is installed, all is good.

And once I got Roon running, I then ran AO with no bad issues on playback - just improvement in sound quality :smile: - thanks again Phil for your great product(s).

Glad to hear it’s all working great with Roon and AO together, very nice indeed! :smile:

Enjoy it,
Phil

@AudioPhil – actually you can fake it… but we also require the VSYNC, which is much hardware to fake. I guess it could be emulated.

Hi Danny

Well even better then, good to hear.

Thanks,
Phil

Is “Experience” and “Media Pack” separate installs? If so which one first.

Also afterwards I am assuming RDP no longer works and you need another remote program if running headless?

Thanks

It’d be great if Roon could truly run headless and was accessible via some other means post installation on a headless server.

Roon is Client/Server, so out of the box it is accessible. Now it is not accessible using Android or iOS - it is what I “believe” you are referring to.

I am running headless on Win 2012R2 Essentials (NUC) and access via my Windows Laptop or RDP with SplashTop, VNC, MS, etc.

Finally got everything working great for Roon and Server 2012R2 Essentials.

Here is what I run:

Intel NUC 54250 (Headless) - Intel i5 with 8GB Memory - 128SSD - 2012R2 Essentials (Trial Version) - Add Experience - Add Media Pack - Audio Optimizer 1.31B10 - Fidelizer 6.7 - Wadia Di122 DAC (DAC has Wasapi driver). All of this is running in GUI for now. I will try out Core later on now that all is working right in GUI.

FYI I use wired connections to Roon Coor running GB.

Main Issues: Music Stoppage, Roon Clients, RDP Starting up Roon.

Music Stoppage: I had music stop playing every 5-7 minutes. Once I “unchecked” USE EXCLUSIVE MODE in the Audio Setup for my DAC music played fine from Library or Tidal - BTW, the Tidal integration is sweet.

–>> NOTE: For the music stoppage - while unchecking Use Exclusive works for playback, the SQ of the playback is not as good. So waiting for the fix for this (saw other posts about Exclusive and issues) but in the mean time, I can play music and browse.

Roon Clients: In my setup I had to run AO in order for Remote Roon clients to be able to see the Core on 2012R2.

RDP and Startup: For RDP, tried SplashTop which would be able to launch Roon, but it used up 50-60% of CPU on my setup. So then put Roon into Startup Folder and then once Roon launched, I could connect with MS RDP and run Roon on Core via my iPad. Works okay, but will be glad to see the iOS app. I now have Fidelizer 6.7 running and have it launch Roon.

appreciate the detailed response. Thanks

Thanks. Hope it helps you and others…

Ever since the update, I’m no longer able to use Exclusive Mode. Even though my DAC detects the signal/resolution via USB, there is no sound. Any other 2012 users experiencing this? It works without Exclusive Mode, but that’s obviously less than optimal sound quality.

Ok, apparently, enabling Fixed Volume is the problem (for me). Once disabled, I’m able to play in Exclusive Mode (direct to DAC and via JRiver’s WDM). Not sure why it causes the problem since Fixed Volume simply keeps the volume at 100. Anyway, that resolved the problem.

Has anyone been able to run Roon in core mode of Server 2012 R2. I can’t find a way. I have followed the above instructions and have it running in GUI mode and can run Phil’s AO but can’t get it working in Core Mode in Server 2012 R2.

Have you tried with a batch startup script for Roon?
I’ve not tried it as i expect it to fail, but if i would i’d use the batch script.

Can give it a try later this am.

No luck.

After it starts I am getting a whole bunch of memory exception errors.

No issue in GUI mode though

Core mode doesn’t work, I get a pixel format error.

However, the “minimal server” mode does work just fine for me.
I’ve created a roonstart.bat file and set this in the taskscheduler at logon.
:slight_smile: this only works if you don’t run the optimizer. With the optimizer on it kills the task. For now I start it manually, but asked @AudioPhil if he could add Roon as a shell.

For now I start it manually under minimal server, works like a charm.

For those using 2012 R2 with the GUI how would you rate the improvement in sound quality compared to Windows 7 or 8? I know this is very subjective but I am trying to determine if I should upgrade to it. I only use the computer for music playback using Roon.

[quote=“slingshot, post:39, topic:573, full:true”]
For those using 2012 R2 with the GUI how would you rate the improvement in sound quality compared to Windows 7 or 8? I know this is very subjective but I am trying to determine if I should upgrade to it. I only use the computer for music playback using Roon[/quote]
Short Answer: 2012 for me - Computer Audiophile Forum will have more info. Stock was better musically than my tweaked Win 8.1 When you get to Minimal Server or Core in 2012 it improves even more. But…

Best Answer: You can download a 180 day eval right from Microsoft and see/hear for yourself. BTW, Phil’s Audio Optimizer for Windows 2012 is a must if you decide to go that way. I believe he offers a free trial period. Works with Fidelizer too if so inclined.

Phil’s guide for installation of 2012 along with his product settings is great to help you along with a new install.