Windows Server 2012 R2 [Solved]

I found this thread when I found I couldn’t install Roon on my Win 12 Server Essentials. I tried to follow the steps outlined but after I installed the Essential Experience Role, it failed when I tried to run the configuration step. I am running my Win 12 Server as a workgroup box on my home network, so I didn’t want to get into setting up AD or domain servers. Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong? The configuration parameters were pretty straight forward. I entered a fake company name and my workgroup name for the domain name. I then setup a new admin account for the experience role. That was pretty much it, so I don’t know where I went wrong. I installed my server using Audiophile Optimizer, so I’m wondering if there are some other components or services missing that the Experience role needs because of that?

Hi Karl,

Have you installed the media pack ?

Good point @andybob

@Karl_Salnoske Did you also see this thread:

1 Like

andybob, I never got to that step because I couldn’t get the Essentials Experience role configured.

Thanks, Dan. I’m running the Windows updates now (I have 135) and will see if that helps.

Are you using “Audio Optimizer” with 2012R2 Essentials?

Really helps with the Essentials installation, removes extra bloat that is not needed. It also shuts down all unnecessary services, optimizes areas, all by your choice and it is easily reversible. These are OS optimizations only.

Updates: After all updates, don’t forget wsemp.exe as @andybob noted.

I do not remember having to configure Essentials…

Thanks, Dan. I did install Essentials using AO. I did that when I first got my CAPS server. The problem I was having was adding the Essentials Experience role and that is what would fail when I tried to configure it. However, after perusing a couple more related threads, including the one you pointed me to, I removed the Essentials Experience, used Windows Update to add 135 updates, and then did a clean install of RoonServer. I am now happily listening to RoonServer through my main music rig with RoonRemote on my iPad Air. No need to install Experience. I did install the media pack last night when I was fooling around with Experience, so that was already there.

Karl

1 Like

Hi Karl,

Did you get RoonServer working in WS2012 Core mode or no? Quite confusing as to whether Roonserver can be made to work in Core mode with AO optimizations or not.

Thanks!

I haven’t tried running Roon Server in Core mode. It works great in GUI mode with Roon Remote on an iPad as the control point.

Karl

Does not run in Core, but will run in Minimal.

Agree. Miminal mode is all that will work.

IMHO, I have tried multiple variations and while JRiver, from an SQ standpoint, with AO in core on Win 2012R with latest Fidelizer version is my benchmark, Roon in minimal server with Fidelizer is the worst SQ on my system. I really don’t like what Fidelizer does with Roon although it works great with JRiver.

Either Roon alone on Win 2012 R2 GUI OR AO minimal server is the best I have heard ROON and quite frankly Roon alone on Win 2012 sounds almost as good as the most optimized JRiver from my perspective which is currently how I am running it. Tried Roon with Win 10, not long enough to comment.