Windows Tablet as Roon Remote

Okay, I asksed online tech chat support at the Microsoft Store: that Asus Flip model DOES NOT support OpenGL 3, so it’s a no go as a Roon control point.

Danny, thanks. I am leaning toward Surface Pro 3 (128GB) since it’s only $100 more than non-pro same-size version right now. It can double as much more than iPad when not Roon-ing.

I may bite the bullet and install WS2012 R2 (with Media pack add ons needed) on another partition of my music server (currently R1 and no Roonserver compatibility).

As I documented elsewhere, I got WS 2012 R2 running roonserver. Yeah! Well, the bigger surprise was that I was able to get Roon running as a remote on my cheap-arse 8" Android tablet I bought at CES last year for like $50. I was amazed that it would support “OpenGL 3.0” (I say that like I know what I;m talking about). I simply tried to install it from GooglePlay app store and was successful. Go Figure.

Question: as I walk the halls of the 2016 CES (beginning Wed) what are the telltale signs that a tablet can run Roon remote (i.e I doubt these vendors will know anything about OpenGL 3.0 support) so are there more basic telltale signs, like ALL ARM 5.1 Android installs? Or Windows tablets that support nnn x zzz resolution?

Unless someone is really skimping or using old inventory, OpenGL 3 has been common for years. Remember, 3 was released as a spec in 2008. 9 versions of OpenGL have been released since then.

It’s not like we are requiring bleeding edge here!

Also, that Asus has a Celeron N3050 – not a great machine, but it should run OpenGL 3 just fine.

The biggest issue I see with it is the low low resolution of 1366x768 – ugh. That may have made sense 7 years ago, but not today.

I realize Open GL 3.0 has been around. My question was simply about how to identify it. My ipad 3 has NOT been around since 2008 and it is not eligible, so 2008 is not a critical date…Anyway, back from CES and no tablet bought (and no reply during that time). I will stick with my cheap 8" Android until I get a surface Pro 3, assuming I do anything.

Isn’t there a surface pro 4 now?

1 Like

Just a side note: Newest version of Roon supports Android tablets with Intel processors, so a large number of additional tablets now work with Roon.

IPads have 64 bit CPU requirement too.

Yes, there is surface pro 4 now; hence the reason to get a surface pro 3 for mostly remote use only ($599). It’s why I asked the question before I went to CES (i.e not planning to spend a lot for mostly Roon remote use). I turned down many Intel Androids, btw, only to now find out they are candidates. Argh! :slight_smile:

2 posts were merged into an existing topic: X86 Android support

I currently use a iPad mini2 as my remote for Roon who’s core is located on a win 10 pro (64 bit) i7 computer, I was thinking of getting a larger tablet to use with roon and discovered a lot of $200 tablets that seem to have the right specs but do not know if they support OpenGL3.

Here’s a tablet I have been looking at https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01C713YCA?psc=1 it is a Dragon Touch i10X running windows 10 (32 bit I believe), It uses a quad core intel atom processor at 1.83 Ghz, has 2 Gb ram and a screen resolution of 1280x800 on a 10.1" IPS screen. Based on the specs I believe it should run Roon as a remote but, I believe, it has the 32 bit version of win 10 and I run the 64 bit of win 10 as my core will this pose a problem? I can also find no information on the web if this supports openGL3.

Does anyone have any experience with this tablet/notebook or know if it would work as a remote?

Running a 64 bit core and a 32 bit remote will not be a problem. Can’t help with the other questions sorry.

I’ve used a Toshiba Win10 Tablet with Intel Atom Z3740 1.33GHz CPU and running Roon Remote on it is not an issue, beside the known problem of reviving a minimized Roon window will be blank black screen. You can also use the Tablet as another Audio Output.

I use Roon headless server on a PC modified and fairly optimized as a dedicated music server. My Surface Pro 3 works beautifully as a controller. In fact it has plenty of power to multi task if I want to. For example it is controlling the Roon server now while I read the forums. All of the heavy lifting is being done by the server.

I’ve had a similar experience to Randy. Running ROON Remote on a Surface Pro 3 i3 version. The interface is absurdly smooth with zero lag and near instant responsiveness. I have ROON Core running on an Intel NUC. The Surface Pro 3 can be used to multitask with no ill effects on ROON performance. The only downside in my view is that the Pro 3 is a bit heavy – a problem that is partially addressed with the regular Surface 3 (non-pro) and possibly even the newer Pro 4.

How about a Samsung Galaxy Note 7? Is the screen too small? At the moment, I’m using a Galaxy Note 8.0. Works well enough though I could use something more snappy?

hi Al,
I’m reading your post from a year ago about the Microsoft surface but wanted to ask you, since I’ve been asking this question since this morning and yet to get a rely from anybody, basically would like to know if I could use this surface:

Microsoft Surface 3 LC5-00015 Intel Atom x7-Z8700 (1.60 GHz) 4 GB Memory 64 GB SSD 10.8" Touchscreen 1920 x 1280 Tablet Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit as a remote?

Like you, I have ROCK installed on a NUC… would greatly appreciate your response, thanks!

I tried using the same Surface 3 for Roon and other things and quickly moved it along as it really is so under powered to the point of being almost useless. Upgraded my IPad to one that supported Roon which is a great remote to use.

Edit : I used the Surface 3 for remote only - not Roon itself.

It’ll work but it won’t be a great experience… Intel Atom CPUs are pretty weak.

That said, people run all of Roon on Atoms… so just try it out.

@danny - the Surface 3 gives a fine experience as a Remote. I have two Atom-based Windows tablets here; a Surface 3 and a Lenovo ThinkPad 10. They are both very good Remotes (running against ROCK on a NUC)…