Windows Tablet as Roon Remote

thanks for your reply.

thanks Danny!

Thanks! this is very helpful to know. I was wandering because under the recommended hardware, for laptops it says processor should be Intel i3, but under tablets it lists the surface 3 which all Iā€™ve seen come with atom processors

Well, not quite. It doesnā€™t mention laptops per se. The recommended hardware (minimum) list is given for running a full Roon package. In other words Roon with the Core, Control (also known as ā€œRemoteā€) and Output components all being used on the same hardware.

Under Tablets used as Remotes, only the Control and (optionally) the Output functions are being used. These two functions can be handled by the later generations of Atom hardware (e.g. in the Surface 3 or the ThinkPad 10).

great, thanks! this makes it a lot more clear!

Hi Denis,

Sorry about the delayed reply. I second everything that has been said in response to your question. I ended up purchasing a Surface Pro 3, which uses an Intel i3 processor, over the regular Surface 3 because of my concerns with the relatively underpowered Atom processor in the latter. As Danny has mentioned, I think it likely that the experience might not be particularly spectacular ā€“ especially as Roon, grows in sophistication with further development. That said, a Pro 3 functions as a remote, smooth as butter. Hope this helps.

Al

8 posts were split to a new topic: Roon is displaying 2 or 3 copies of each album

I have a Samsung Tab Pro and thatā€™s also a good option. A good and cheap alternative to a MS Surface.

Iā€™ve just taken delivery of a Linx 12v64 Education Windows 10 Pro Surface Pro lookalike. The device was inexpensive (Ā£156+VAT) and can keep up as a Roon remote.

Specs:
Screen: 12.2 " 1920 * 1200
Windows 10 Pro
4GB RAM
64GB storage
Atom x5-Z8300 processor
includes keyboard/mouse
stated 5 hour battery life
purchased from e-buyer - may get another as a holiday laptop

cheers
tom

1 Like

I have used a Surface Pro 3 for a very long time as a remote for Roon. It works amazing, and impressed everyone in our audio club that comes over. My only qualm is that the fans come on randomly and can be distracting.

I fairly recently bought a Surface Pro 6. It works amazingly and no longer uses the fans so it is also very quite. I have an Android tablet and have used an iPad. Neither come close to the Microsoft Surface Pro 6. It is in an entirely different universe!

Hi, stumbled upon this older post & have a genuine question of the original topic. In the past, I often used an 5yrs old Google Pixel phone as my roon remote. Yes, the screen is small but it worked fine in terms of not having any lag. So why will many tablets (which I believe should have much more ram & power than my old phone) not able to function as a decent roon control?
Thx

Iā€™ve never had an issue with a tablet.

1 Like

Why do you believe they will be? Your Google Pixel phone is newer than the original post in this optic (almost 5 years old). The HP Stream 7 in the original post is 6 years old and was a budget low-end device when it was released. Your phone is probably 5x-10x the performance of the HP Stream 7. Tablets you think are better than the Pixel should not be compared to this stuff from 5+ years ago. Itā€™s in a different league.

1 Like

Hi. This conversation you linked seems so be deleted but I am interested in this issue. I couldnā€™t find an answer anywhere else. I find it annoying as well when I switch between apps on my iPad or iPhone and come back to Roon it reloads the app for a second or two. Is this solvable?
Thanks for suggestions.

Its the way itā€™s designed. It goes in to true background mode and needs to re- establish connections etc.

1 Like

And what is a normal and acceptable delay? Does it depend more on local network speed or the remote device? Is there a way to speed it up?
In my case it is mostly around 3 seconds.

It would be ok when the app remembered where I left it. But it does not remember the last screen. Could this be changed please?