Wireless carplay adapter and ARC

I’ve wired Apple car play in my Audi. Works pretty well with ARC. But thinking about a wireless adapter thingy to obviate the need to keep plugging my Iphone 12 in.
Anyone with up to date experience of using ARC over such a setup ? All I’ve found in the Community is that someone had some dropout issues. And, as I basically use m6 phone for music playback - is there any audio degradation compared to running wired ? Thanks

Should be a non issue, as the wireless adapters are just mirroring what is on your phone.

Not carplay but I use an android auto equivalent and it works as well as being wired s far as I can see.

My Audi did not even have AA/CarPlay at all, but an add-on box with wireless AA/CarPlay functionality (I am using WAKAA, but there are quite a few of them out there; although they all seem to come from the same factory anyway) works fine with both wired and wireless connection. Well, as well as ARC works in general anyway.

2 Likes

OK, so functionality should just mimic the Iphone. But what of audio quality ( isn’t Bluetooth inferior to a wired connection ?). The principal use of my phone in the car is ARC which provides CD quality. Don’t really want to lose that. I don’t need so called Hi Res.

In a moving car, I doubt that Bluetooth would be the limiting factor in quality, but if wireless CarPlay is anything like wireless Android Auto, it would use WiFi to move data rather than Bluetooth, so for all practical purposes quality should be the same as with a wired connection.

Agree, sound quality shouldn’t be an issue here.
I’ve used a Carlinkit 3.0 wireless adapter for six months now in my Toyota RAV4 and it’s been flawless. And as mentioned, it uses bluetooth only for the initial connection, then wifi moving data.
I also set up a Magsafe charger for the phone for a clean look, so much easier than pluggin the phone in every time. For shorter rides it just stays in my pocket.

2 Likes

both the Car2Play and MagicLink adapters use bluetooth for audio. I’ve used both, and both work perfectly well, once connected.

in my experience, the MagicLink has proved more reliable in getting connected. I’ve had to reboot the C2P device (unplug/plug) many times when first starting the car.

At least in my Alfa Stevio, which does not have the premium audio package, sound quality if just fine. tbh, road noise would mask any real quality difference in going wired.

FWIW, the carlinkit and magiclink appear to be the exact same device.

looks good; which charger is this?

It’s from ESR Gear.

They have a newer version with qi2 that might be slightly cheaper.

I replaced the vent mount with a fixed ball mount.

1 Like

All the ones I have looked at seem to run Android on the adapter itself and have the ability to install apps from Google Play store. Has anyone tried installing ARC on the adapter itself? If so, how well does it work? Does the Muse parametric EQ work?