Wireless Roon Headphone Station?

Hi, I’m hoping someone might have a suggestion for me. I’d like to set up a ‘headphone station’ in my living room where I can plug my Focal Clear’s into a box that can act as a wireless Roon endpoint. Any ideas?

1 Like

This looks good but I am having trouble finding dealers in North America.

Yeah they are still looking for one. There is one in Canada though

http://gramophone.ca

1 Like

Chord Mojo and Poly, its wireless Roon Ready companion.

The Focal lineup is so easy to drive. I’ve got a Mojo and Poly for travels, driving my Focal Elex wonderfully.

Poly had a lot of issues for me, until a firmware update a couple months ago. Happy to recommend it now though.

Should be very easy for you to demo in store also, with your own Focal Clears.

2 Likes

I’ve been considering the Bluesound Node 2i for a similar scenario.

I have one of these. I use it mostly for tv use. It has toslink input and output, and analog (3.5 mm) input. $100 USD.

With this device a system would need to output via toslink or analog to the bluetooth transmitter. Quality of sound is good.

Another option might be to use a Raspberry Pi + HifiBerry as endpoint, and connect a headphone amp of your chosing. (Like a DYI Bottlehead Crack :slight_smile: )

3 Likes

How much are you looking to spend?

Raspberry Pi and AudioQuest Cobalt. Nice pairing and not too pricy. With RopieeeXL installed you can also use it for UPnP , airplay and Spotify.

3 Likes

Ipad & audio quest Dragonfly, red or cobalt , plus Apple Camera kit

Doubles up as a remote

1 Like

Ideally under $1000 but definitely under $1500 (Canadian).

I just wonder about the quality of the DAC and amp in the Bluesound. If it was good this would be a great option.

I actually have this setup but Roon gives me error messages about it’s ability to stream to the iPad. I will try to solve this problem - the Cobalt is excellent!

The bluesounds DAC is fine, the headphone side is just ok, nothing amazing, I think when I tried it on mine I found it a little thin.

I use ipad audioquest red with no error messages I wonder why you get errors ?

It’s my sunshine patio headphone set up, South Africa has some advantages , not many mind …

2 Likes

If you’re willing to tinker a bit, the Rasberry Pi is a cheap and very effective solution. I use a Raspberry Pi as a headless client in my bedroom. Currently using Rasplex, but now that I’m using Roon, I’ll install Ropiee on the Pi instead. When I get around to it. You could also use Volumio or probably Rune. It’s conected via USB to a Fiio E10k DAC/Headphone amp. Grado SR80e 'phones. Modest but nice sounding little headphone setup.

Like DeLub said, you can use the Pi as the base client/endpoint and then get whatever actual music playing kit (DAC and headphone amp) that budget/preferences allow. Some combination of a HAT plugged into the PI itself, and/or separate component(s).

Raspberry PI with Ropieee connected to a IDSD headphone dac via USB works.

Same experience here, Node 2i sounds great in my system but the headphone output is meh.

Have a look at the RME ADI-2 DAC I see a lot of good feed back on different forums particularly its versatility for headphone use. Also a number of Roon users here using it. Try search here in the forum a number of threads come up.