Wiring the home with fiber

Not in this guys house. He get’s intermittant signal with gigabit. All depends on the length, and interference. You keep going on and on about the past and present. As I said before when you renovate a home, it’s for the future, not the past. When these datacenter’s upgrade their gear they will replace with fiber, I can assure you of that.

In our next gen gear we’re even using fiber for internal digital board to board connections:

And no we didn’t make this decision because it’s the status quo. We made it because you can’t be a leader and a follower at the same time.

Wow this sure is a bargain. Impressive results!!

How is a $200 Ethernet cable a bargain? And what “results” are you referring to?

I was referring to copper aficionado’s who have a clear bias against superior, lower cost technology may find this cable to be a bargain compared to some of the $1000 per meter alternatives.

A $1000/ft Ethernet cable is functionally identical to the patch cable I made myself yesterday for less than $2 worth of materials. The only difference between the two is that one of them clearly identifies the owner as having far more money than brains.

If all copper ethernet cables are the same, what’s the difference between cat5, cat5e, cat6, cat7, and cat8? Is it all just snake oil?

This is beyond my scope of knowledge, and I try not to let the 5 deadly sins get in the way of better judgement:

1: Confirmation bias: This is probably the most common and the most subliminal, as many people naturally exhibit this bias without even knowing it. Often times called selective search for evidence, confirmation bias occurs when decision makers seek out evidence that confirms their previously held beliefs, while discounting or diminishing the impact of evidence in support of differing conclusions.

2: Anchoring: This is the over-reliance on a single piece of a priori information or experience that affects one’s ability to adjust to new potentially relevant information.

3: Halo effect: This is the distortion of a person’s overt positive or negative characteristics that are amplified and applied to other situations or scenarios. Basically, it is the perception that if someone demonstrates well in a certain area, then they will automatically perform well at something else regardless of how interconnected the tasks are.

4: Overconfidence bias: This is another potentially disruptive personal bias and occurs when a person subjectively overestimates the reliability of their judgments versus an objectively accurate outcome.

5: Groupthink: This is a bias within group decision making that leads the group toward harmony rather than a realistic evaluation of alternatives.

1 Like

If you already came to the clear conclusion that a round wheel rolls smoother than an octagon wheel, are you going to try to improve upon the octagon wheel by slightly rounding over the edges? Or would it be more logical to just use the round wheel?

I can imagine for most people it would all depend on what everyone else is doing. If everyone had cars running octagon wheels, it would be hard to fit in with round wheels. You’d be made fun of. It would be humiliating!

Interesting thread - thank you.

I like the idea of wiring our new house in fibre but I’d prefer to keep the sockets as standard ethernet as it’ll just be less confusing and more useful to the rest of the family. Has anyone come across an “FMC in a wall plate” so I can run fibre in the walls but copper at the point of use?

This is the closest thing I know for an elegant solution for an FMC. You can mount it to the wall just above the fiber wall plate, and run a short little cable to it.

Then in a few years when copper is obsolete, just remove it. Cheap too:

If you use the Ubiquiti FMC they states 16-57vdc on the input terminal will it only pass on PoE if you supply it with 24vdc or more? I dont want power on the ethernet out to my endpoint hence my question regarding it.
And does it work with endpoints that only have 100Mbit ethernet connection, does it autoswitch between 100/1000Mbit out on its ethernet?

It will pass through whatever power you feed it. Yeah I forgot it’s only good if you want PoE. I use them to power, and feed the network to these wifi mesh units:

https://unifi-mesh.ubnt.com

And optical Transciever’s don’t auto switch to different speeds. You choose the Transciever that’s the speed you want.

In my house every device I have is wireless besides my audio gear. And all my audio gear has fiber inputs. So all I ever need is these mesh wifi units and fiber to handle my Ethernet needs.

So I am correct if it does not work with a endpoint that is only 100Mbit ethernet?

Perhaps it will be easier to just use a TP Link converter but the fact that I could run higher DC voltage would fit my needs better right now.

Not this FMC. Gigabit only. If you want support for legacy devices you can get a different FMC with 100mbit Transciever. But make sure you put a 100mbit Transciever in the switch as well.

Also keep in mind you don’t want to feed PoE into a non PoE device unless you want to smell smoke. I forgot this FMC only does PoE. In my application I need the PoE to power the mesh unit.

For multiple endpoints -

Yeah good choice if you only need 8 ports and 1gb max. If you spend $160 more you can get 20 ports as well as 4x 10g ports.

http://www.fs.com/products/66141.html

One might think 10g is overkill, but it really isn’t. For 1 if a switch can handle 10g that means it has a very fast CPU that will handle 1g at lightning speeds. For 2 it won’t be long before 10g fiber is standard from internet service providers. If you buy 10g compatible gear now, you won’t need to upgrade in a couple of years in order to take advantage of it.

Strictly for Roon. Hang it off a switch (or off the core’s NUC), run fiber, convert back at the endpoints. Good to go.

I like the idea of fiber, and I’m actually going to get my house rewired in the next couple of weeks. I’ve asked the electrician for cat 6a cabling (60 ethernet points or so), but we can still change I think. What would I need for fiber 10G throughout my house? I’m a bit confused by all the different specifications and converters and what not.

You clearly know your stuff and that’s great. If only you could present it in a way that’s less pushy, know-all and superior, you’d have far more people interested. I struggle to read this stuff because of the way you write. I’m guessing you write to be read so you should be “bothered”(which you’re clearly not).

4 Likes

[Moderated]

If you don’t like what you read, don’t read it.

If you read through the thread carefully, I already shared all of the required stuff.