Would the sound quality on a NUC with Rock be as good as on a Nucleus or an Innuos?

He certainly wrote some weird stuff, the goons sounds normal by comparison …

Hey Wizardofoz, I do have the same NUC and it´be been a problem finding a suitable fanless case for it. Did you go for the Akasa Plato by chance? thanks and regards

I used the Plato X7 yes but I took the risk with the i7 as they said it’s under spec for that cpu…had it running no issues for a few years now. At one point it was then they removed it from the compatibility IIRC. I purchased it from the factory BTW.

If you want to use an Intel NUC with Roon Rock, this video might help you setting it up: https://youtu.be/AtfXsVM9QDE

@HBzThanks Hans - will does this cover the installation of the version of rock released last year ?

The thing I am worried about is the CODEC adjustment - that sounds very complicated and non-intuitive. is there some simple advice if you hit problems with it?

1 Like

It is rather basic as long as you follow the instructions. The codec is a matter of downloading a file, unpacking it and copying the file named ffmpeg (no extension) to the specified map on the NUC. Just watch the videos. And once done, you never have to look at it again. It is self maintaining just as the Nucleus. In fact, the Nucleus just is a NUC motherboard in a housing with passive cooling.

2 Likes

Thanks Hans.

1 Like

I started out two years ago with the core running on my clapped out MBPro. After reading extensively and debating moving the core with a NAS I decided to split the two and went for a supported NUC with the i7. I followed the instructions on the Roon site and a few helpful videos and links I found here on the community pages and goggle. The assembly and software setup was easy and as described in the instructions, including the codec bit.

I couldn’t be happier; such an improvement from my original beginnings. If there is a fan in that NUC I have not heard it yet. I am using an iFi iOne USB as my beginner DAC; it is plugged into the NUC and goes to my A/V receiver. The whole things sounds fantastic and can only get better as the rest of my equipment improves. As HB says, I have to convene more meetings of the luxury budget committee to seek approval for additional gear. For the moment I am delighted - the whole thing set me back just over $1K CDN.

For an added bonus, my core is very portable and runs back and forth from my workplace and my home which is 500 miles away. Two for the price of one.

I have a Innous Zen with 2TB it sounds flawless running JC1 mono blocks and KEF Blade 2 speakers. It has zero noise and works awesome with Roon. zero issues!!! As a computer builder by the time I added all the power supplies etc just very happy with the Innous.

Rob

Innous is good antipodes audio much better, n50

1 Like

It’s the other way around I found.

I compared Innuos ZEN MK3 to Nuc Intel I5 with ROCK. Both directly connected to dac with USB.
The Innuos didn’t have a chance really. It sounded worse in many ways.
A friend compared it to his old Mac mini with similar results.
Very surprising!

Innuos uses a punk Celeron chip for their CPU, so if one has multiple endpoints or does heavy DSP, then that might account for the difference between that and an i5 NUC.

Inexcusable at the price point of even the cheapest Zen server.

2 Likes

I can’t really understand why they don’t use a better chip for their CPU - its is a pricey product and the difference in price for the chips is minimal

1 Like

It is a philosophical choice and that chip is more than good enough for all of the functionality they offer except the running of Roon core. I guess that from their perspective things would be on their head if heat and energy penalties were applied to their many none Roon users. It does strike me that there is some scope for a ‘Roon Core Edition’ device but as their prices are already up there in Nucleus territory it might be tough to market alongside their regular boxes.

I don’t see it as philosophical - wrong word - hard headed market decision. then they shouldn’t market it for use with Roon.i won’t be buying one

No, it is a philosophical one in that there are manufacturers who have chosen low powered CPUs or to massively under-clock higher powered CPU’s because they believe they produce less electrical noise. The bonus is they are easier to cool and case design is less critical.

And most pre-date Roon. The power just wasn’t needed.

my point remains - they market and promote themselves as an excellent product to run Roon on. Secondly they have introduced model upgrades since Roon came about…

And they have a lot of happy customers who are mostly happy to accept the constraints the hardware places on them! So long as they are running Roon I am not too bothered. :nerd_face:

hmm. a lot of comments here and elsewhere about how they can’t run DSP in multiple rooms.

I believe NUC boards are available bare. You may have to look for them a bit.