Would the sound quality on a NUC with Rock be as good as on a Nucleus or an Innuos?

No. Just short CAT6a cables from Amazon.

I just placed my order, it will be almost a month, since they sold all their stock.

How do you have yours setup, I have a Switch to both my Stereo and my NUC, and my stereo is Roon Ready and flows over the Ethernet cables, so I’m trying to figure out how to best hook that up, I guess switch to Aside, then Bside to NUC and Aside to my Stereo, any suggestions?

Internet and server, A side. Streamer B side. If your server is remote then a single A side connection back to your switch and a short B side hop to the server.

@Tim_Skoglund or, you can jump on and slide on down…

I feel compelled to give a dissenting viewpoint, since it seems the usual suspects haven’t bothered.

Many people on this forum will consider uber cables, switches and any Ethernet de-crapifiers to be money wasted on snake oil products.

Much as I usually respect the posts of some in this thread, my counsel is to go easy on all the upgrades, including buying a Nucleus. Judging by your forum join date you haven’t been at this all that long.

First try Roon without all of the extras and should you buy some add-on make sure you can return the product when you find it doesn’t do anything.

Simpler is always better.

I’ve foresworn not to get involved in threads like this, but there it is.

FWIW

8 Likes

Wise counsel, indeed…

Amen to that.

1 Like

It seems the near unanimous verdict on the LS50W is that wirless is a clear step down from wired ethernet. The NUC Core will be near the LS50Ws, about 50 feet in cable length from the router through an exceedingly shallow, inhospitable attic. For this reason, I’d prefer to install just one cable one time with a switch near the Core and LS50W without the potential misery of having to change out cables in the attic. This approach with the switch gives me the greatest flexibility for trying different cables and switches if necessary.

The Uptone isolating switch sounded like a great idea until discovering the $640 price. Maybe that’s the best route in the end, but for now I’d rather start with a decent switch that doesn’t break the bank.

Amazing thread… The OP asks:

is there any significant difference in sound quality with this machine running Roon rock as as opposed to a Nucleus or an Innuous Zen?

To which we all agree, there isn’t… Then a few posts later, Ethernet de-crapifiers and boutique switches are the must have L’accessoire du jour, which shouldn’t make any difference for all the same reasons.

5 Likes

My unmanaged switches cost around €30 each, and I use bog-standard ethernet cabling. I am more than happy with the result.

3 Likes

I think what you intend is entirely sensible, with the one caveat that the ‘verdict’ on the LS50W is often (not always) based on being able to feed them a higher bit rate signal when wired. Depending on your source files, and whether you intend to upsample, that may not be relevant.

Yes, I am the OP and I agree. I am not buying any new interconnects, switches etc. I will focus on system itself. As per @xxx post, I am not going to rush into anything, concentrate on the sound with my current NAS set up and then look at a NUC or a purpose built nucleus clone.

2 Likes

Meanwhile reading this and another similar thread has tipped me over the purchase line. Fanless case and NUC bits ordered…

3 Likes

You won’t find anyone here who did anything differently. Even if their eventual solutions differed.

Well yes and no…ethernet cable connections are not the only story…electrical noise comes in the form of non contact and induced radio frequency and electro magnetic interference too…RFI and EMI respectively.

Well yes and no… and I’m not going to worry about the odd stray neutrino either… :wink:

I swore I would never write another book after Puckoon and this is it

Spike Milligan :face_with_monocle:

Whew, had to Google that.

You’re talking about self-reference, right?

Not sure what that means …

Spike Milligan always claimed he had something that few people had, A piece of paper saying he was sane, after his discharge from a mental hospital…

You must read Puckoon , slightly weird

I don’t have Puckoon, but I do have this. Same effect…