Would upgrading Nucleus RAM help improve search speed?

I have a Nucleus that is just over four years old. It came with 4gb RAM. I have 3031 Albums and 75,078 Tracks. My system is stable, I use three zones (and only one at a time) and do not use DSP. However, search is often slow and album covers can load slowly.

Here’s my question: would overall processing be faster if I upgraded the RAM to 8gb? Or even 16gb?

I welcome all responses, but would especially like to hear from someone in Roon technical support.

1 Like

With a library that size, yes I believe a RAM upgrade would help with overall performance. While I don’t have a Nucleus, at least 8 GB total should be an improvement. I always take a “more RAM = good” approach, but I have a W11 PC as my Roon server and it has an i5 and 16 GB for 20K tracks and does not have any performance issues; not as large as your library, just some datapoints.

1 Like

100%. RAM is so cheap nowadays that there’s no reason to not throw 16GB into it.

2 Likes

No it wouldn’t. @danny has stated before that more RAM would only help the nucleus prevent from crashing if it has insufficient memory or does nothing otherwise.

1 Like

If the nucleus isn’t crashing, it isn’t running out of memory. Stated many times in the forum if you search. Search performance is largely reliant on Roon.

If the issue is related to Roon the problem would be global or at least regional.
75,000 tracks is a decent sized collection and the way Roon works with its overlay of metadata creating links in your collection then you may be asking a lot from an i3 Nucleus (as opposed to the Nucleus+).
Things I would do,:
Check/eliminate potential network latency.
Make sure the DNS server address is good. Sometimes the given one isn’t as quick as an alternative like the Google DNS addresses. However care should be taken here.
Consider adding memory. It won’t hurt to double the memory. It certainly won’t be expensive. The notion that machine behaviour will be perfect operation until it crashes may be a little misleading. But all of that said, adding memory wouldn’t be a first step.

2 Likes

My experience was that adding memory did not help performance. I have a Nucleus+ Rev A. My library is 1080 artists, 5500 albums and 95,000 tracks. I upgraded from the original 8GB to 32GB and there was no difference in performance. I then upgraded the system SSD from the original Transcend to a Samsung 980 Pro. After that, I noticed some improvement in searching, but overall, Roon is still very slow to search especially in Tracks view.

I think in my case, this is related to the fact that I have a few artists with several thousands of tracks. Roon is apparently investigating this, see: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-painfully-slow-after-update-with-large-library-sizes-roon-investigating/236731/67?u=heavymetaldrummer

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.