Wow - that was too loud

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)
1.7 build 667

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)
Cisco 2960g, sg300-10

note 8: wifi (eero)
roon core: 1GbE

Audio Devices (Specify what device you’re using and its connection type - USB/HDMI/etc.)

Samsung Note 8 (zone ab-note8)
AudioQuest DragonFly Cobalt; USB-C Dragon Tail
IEM: campfire audio andromeda

Description Of Issue

Configured audio to use MQA render (not recognized by default), but also same issue with defaults.

Upon playing music got a lot of static, volume was too loud. Pulled IEMs quickly out of ears. Tried several changes, IEMs out of ears. Also, had loud volume when controlling volume both on device and also via a remote system (using Roon remote function).

Was able to override the locked Roon volume with the pc volume control, controlling the note 8 player.

Does not happen on iPhone, iPad or PC with same dac/IEMs combination.

Btw: checked with campfire they feel the headphones are ok. It was way too loud for my ears though.

Btw: Logging has been turned on, working on separate issue.

Let me know next steps.

Android devices and DACs don’t really work in Roon due to the limitations of Android OS audio stack. The OS just uses basic drivers and how it works with Roon is really up to the Android device itself most won’t work without extra software such as UAPP. In all cases its not bit perfect and Roon won’t identify the DAC or pass through MQA so that’s why it won’t set it. This is most likely an issue with compatibility with the Cobalt and the Samsung rather than Roon itself.

Ok. I did forget to mention that it did work with UAPP.

As this is a known issue beyond what Roon can solve is there anyway you can have the app warn users when the device is plugged in or make this more apparent in your documentation?

Hi @bullclan,

Do you have the latest firmware installed on your Cobalt? If you are using an older firmware version, I would try to update it, it might help.

I would reach out to Audioquest if the firmware update doesn’t help, it seems that there have been reports of similar behavior in other forums as well:

Letting you know that there is no firmware update for the colbalt: https://www.audioquest.com/page/aq-digitalupdates.html

1 Like

Hi @bullclan,

Thanks for confirming, in that case I would reach out to Audioquest directly regarding this behavior.

This topic was automatically closed 365 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.