Xtr Filters - Why do they sound so good?

I had read that poly-sinc-xtr had more than even poly-sinc. Maybe all that ringing gives it that full and euphoric sound quality I like. :blush:

Itā€™s interesting to read the rest of the DAVE review that Andrew linked above. Rob Watts talks about his goal with filtering, which is to enable the most accurate reproduction of transients.

Also Roon user @JOHN_COULSON gets a mention for writing about Stereophile Encore. Nice one John !

I guess no one told him he was suppose to use mp for that. :slight_smile:

1 Like

FWIW I canā€™t hear a great deal of difference in transient reproduction using the mp and lp versions of the xtr filters. I can hear better focussed soundstage with the lp version, so itā€™s now my new fave !

I run the Auto Rate; poly-sinc-xtr-mp-2s, ASDM7, SDM = DSD256.
My little Intel NUC7 i5 (2cores) works at around 50% load. No so bad, still quiet.
So, I donā€™t get why people need super-computers for this?
OK, with DSD512 the i5 (15W TDW) would maybe not enough, but the i7 should be plenty.
Just my 2 cent!

It is mostly when people want to run that with non-2s filter variant. Then it gets heavyā€¦

I got my new DAC a couple days ago. Immediately went DSD128 and poly-sinc-xtr.

Iā€™m now noticing a little too much left and right focus and slightly recessed center image. My new DAC has spectacular specs. That euphoric like widening and richening might no longer be the right choice.

Might have to try poly-sinc-ext again, it worked well with the ridiculously awesome noise and cross talk numbers of the Devialet.

1 Like

EXT doesnā€™t work with the Mirus Pro, a little closed in and too laid back. Now Iā€™m rocking good old regular poly-sinc with DSD7. I find ASDM7 widens and warms things a bit to much, DSD7 is more focused and clear.

Iā€™ve gone back to PCM for a spell. Just upsampling to 352.8 or 384 in Roon with Max PCM (power of 2) with Precise Linear and 7th Order CLANS. Enjoying the weight in the bottom end.

I donā€™t find PCM adds bottom end weight, maybe I have more than enough of it with my Mc gear. :grin: You definately get more attack and precision with PCM.

Interesting how different impressions can be. To me, DSD7 is slightly dark with a deeper stage, whereas ASDM7 is wider and more forwardā€¦but far from warm. Iā€™n back to poly-sinc-short-mp / ASDM7 / DSD256 here. With admittedly no scientific basis to back this up, I feel like XTR brings a noticeable dryness or lack of air to trumpet sounds and other instruments of the same timbre / register. It does sound amazing on the vast majority of material, and the less ā€œaudiophileā€ the more the benefit.

I agree ASDM7 is wider but in achieving that I think it might lose some focus and a bit of attack. So maybe I feel ASDM7 is rounder more so than warmer.

I sometimes wonderā€¦

Before I had Naim SL2 speakers, which need boundary positioning, I would often move my speakers to nullify a deficiency or augment a positivity.
The I just accepted sometimes the music sounds better than others, time of day, electricity usage in the area, how Iā€™m feeling etc.

Then I go HQPLAYER and I could metaphorically move the speakers again and every few days would hear deficiencies and change filter.

Then I went back to presuming Chord know their biscuits and just let the Hugo do what the Hugo does.

The music can still show deficiencies every now and then but I try beer first before I contemplate any further changes and I find this very effective.

.sjb

6 Likes

I donā€™t own a Chord but thought it was general knowledge that itā€™s what you are suppose to do with them. :slightly_smiling_face:

I have new kit so I need to play and get a feel for things again.

With those settings, you might want to give Roonā€™s SRC another try. I was using very similar HQP settings and, with the current state of Roon SRC, came to the conclusion that the difference between my HQP settings and Roon (set to Smooth, Minimum Phase, 7th Order (CLANS), DSD256) was negligible.

I do think HQPā€™s xtr filters sound different from anything Roon can muster, but after listening to them for quite a while, I decided they werenā€™t for me.

I will check it out and report back :slight_smile: I use a Cubox NAA with HQPlayer but also have one set up for RoonBridge. Iā€™m using HQPlayer Embedded on my server though, so the ability to quickly switch between any of Jussiā€™s filters using the web UI from the comfort of my couch does make me lean towards HQP in general!

Definitely an enhancement of the HQP UX. :wink:

1 Like

Yesterday I tried Roonā€™s DSPing to DSD again after reading your post.

Just need to mention with my Ayre Codex & Mcintosh preamp DAC I preferred all HQPlayerā€™s filters to Roonā€™s. Not sure why but Roonā€™s DSD was a little hard sounding on them for lack of a better word. HQPlayer was always richer and smoother no matter the filter.

In comes the new Mirus Pro and itā€™s all changed. The DSD from Roon sounds fantastic. It has to be the new CLANS modulator just agrees with what Resonessence has implemented or something had changed in the last build or two.

DSD128
Linear Phase Smooth
DSD7 (CLANS)

Could have something to do with your Mirus Pro and my exaSound E32 both using the ESS9028PRO (albeit with the exa at a lower price point ā€¦ and fewer chips). Or maybe because they both come from Canada.

That sounds like the reason to me being from Canada. :grinning:

I thought about the Exasound E32 but would have had to pay shipping to try it and shipping back if I didnā€™t like it.

The Mirus Pro is $2500US more expensive listed online. A local dealer had the Mirus Pro to try and it turns out, itā€™s only $1500US more expensive if purchased from a dealer. I donā€™t know how that works, but having to buy online in US dollars from a CAD manufacturer really screws us Canucks. Either way I ended up supporting a Canadian Manufacturer and a local dealer and couldnā€™t be happier.