Yet another.. which device should i buy for roon core

I’m running a Windows 10 desktop PC. i5, quad core with 32GB of memory, and it works great.

I have all my FLAC files on an internal SSD (3Tb drive)

I also use the PC for other stuff. My net cost was the SSD upgrade from a magnetic disk.

I’m sorry, but I need to pester this a little more. Please tell me if a device exist that can do all of the following.

Something with WIFI connection to my router that can stream Tidal (including MQA), Qobuz, and Amazon HD by running the apps for each. Device must have HDMI out to connect to either my Bose system or Oppo 203 which is connected to Bose via HDMI.

Also, it should be Roon ready. Ideally, it could run the Roon core so I don’t need a separate device for that. It should also be Apple Airplay 2 capable.

Lastly, it needs to be controllable using my iPad when using Roon and when not using Roon.

Currently, my Dell laptop will do all this, but is not controllable with an iPad and doesn’t do Airplay.

I would like to free up my laptop and get Roon core onto another device. However, since I don’t want to be locked into Roon, I want something that can run Tidal, Qobuz, and Amazon HD apps. I don’t have an ethernet connection where my music system is, so it needs WIFI. I also need to be able to control it from across the room with an iPad.

Thanks.

You seem to be asking for a lot on one device. Looks like you need a second laptop or a nuc running rock, or windows/linux for the core… cheap endpoint could be chromecast or chromeaudio, you can also use this as a line or optical input to cast from pad, i know this is possible from android as I use it, as roon endpoint and just tidal frome phone… Just check if apple can cast with a chromeaudio…

Forgot to mention, chromecast has an hdmi output and chrome audio which is still available has 3.5 jack or. optical out which a separate £7 cable is requires… for £20. Its worth a test

Chromecast is not going to cut it. Another laptop is not controllable using an iPad. I don’t know if such a device exist. That’s why I asked the question. But, thanks for responding.

Also, if one single device will not do all of this, what two devices would? For instance, a NUC for the Roon core and a streaming device with all the other capabilities. What might that be?

I could get the streaming device first, then add the NUC if I decide to go with Roon.

I guess it’s possible this device could be a stereo receiver??

A excellent streamer that seem to to everything is the bluesound node 2i

I second the Bluesound Node 2i.

It does not quite do everything. It’s a Roon-ready endpoint (a streamer); you cannot run Roon Core on it. Nor can it operate in multiple modes (such as NAA and DLNA) as one of the Sonore Rendus can. So you cannot stream HQPlayer or Audirvana to it. However, it’s much less expensive than the Rendus (esp. when you add power supply cost to the latter). It also has functionality that the Rendus lack (such as physical buttons on the top for volume/track control, or the capability to learn IR remote signals.) It does support MQA. I wouldn’t say the SQ is as good as the Rendus get, but you wouldn’t necessarily notice a big difference (depending on your other gear, music, room, and ears).

As for a device to run the Core, you might want to consider (in addition to a NUC or a Mac Mini) a SonicTransporter i5. The STs are more flexible (and less expensive) than a Nucleus, but more optimized for audio than a typical NUC.

Thanks. I bought a Node 2i and returned it the same day. I need HDMI out, not optical.

Blimey lol, this is tuff, i can’t think of any streamer that has hdmi output except the weird chromecast which you said is a no go… the problem you have is the bose speaker only accepting hdmi, but I may be proven wrong… To go down the music side you may need to start again, with new amp and speakers, have a look into AVR possibly Denon/marantz which has heos streaming. A roon endpoint, tidal, amazon and air play but i don’t think has qobuz… a new amp and speakers would be the best way to add stuff in the future… sorry if i have missed anything else from your earlier posts

Other than that I’m out of ideas, it will be tuff but good luck

Would be nice to hear anyone else’s suggestions…

Thanks for your input. I think a receiver is the answer. My Bose has HDMI ARC which is connected to my TV. It also has HDMI in that can be connected to a receiver. The Bose also has optical but that would force me to unplug the TV HDMI just to listen to music. I also hate optical.

I don’t plan to add speakers right now. Maybe later, but my wife hates speakers. I do plan to purchase a Nucleus to run the Roon core (if I keep Roon). I will just RAAT from that to my Oppo 203 which is connected to my TV using HDMI, then to the Bose via HDMI ARC. That’s what I’m doing now except using RAAT from my Dell laptop to the OPPO. My immediate desire is just to get Roon core off my laptop although it works very well. I should leave well enough for now, actually.

When my Roon trial ends (60 day trial), I will probably pay for one year and purchase a Nucleus in January when I need to make my RMD from IRA’s.

Thanks again.

Here’s one explanation for why more 2-channel audio devices don’t support HDMI:

I am Using A Sonic transporter i5 CDR from Small Green Computer to add a disc to my roon set up I just put it in the transport tray press play and it is added. US$1190 inc 2T storage.