You have £20,000 (or your equivalent currency) to spend on your hi-fi, what do you buy?

Does it register on a seismograph?

YES. Having heard a pair I can confirm it is “da bass goes boom” CERTIFIED :smiley:

$15,000 on professionally installed room treatments, $3000 on speakers and $2000 on electronics.

Of course, that assumes you own your place, have a dedicated room and are planning on staying there for good. Which is usually not the case for anyone who’s not retired, and if you are retired, your hearing is not so good any more, so there is that. Maybe the money should be spent on headphones instead. I wonder if anyone has ever done a set up with a crossover feeding headphones and a subwoofer (so you get the body slam of bass headphones can’t reproduce).

This isn’t exactly what you wrote but gives some body slam and has been around since ~ 2015… I’ve tried it and it’s interesting.

1 Like

Totaldac, Riviera AIC amplifier, Cube Audio speakers. I would have to get a loan from the bank first, though.

That’s really interesting, thanks. I take it it’s something you fit like a pad in a chair, not something you strap on? Or maybe both, the product photos are a bit ambiguous.

Does it generate audible noise like a subwoofer would, or is it only the wearer who can hear it? If so, that would be great for not disturbing others when quiet is required.

There’s heaps of YouTube vids that answer all your questions and do overall review.

A couple I quickly found (note these are old models, you can probably find newer reviews of new models which probably perform better now):

20% room treatment. 22,5% speakers. 20% amp. 12,5% pre-amp. 25% turntable, pickup, phono pre-amp

Good speakers stand the test of time and since my room may change and they eliminate amps as well:

BAREFOOT SOUND MICROMAIN27 GEN2 3.5-WAY ACTIVE STUDIO MONITOR

Vinyl, Vinyl and more vinyl for my HiFi.

2 Likes

Hi fi food!

I’ve got one, with the Premier power base. Fantastic!

Did you compare with the standard power option?

It’s my dream (unlikely to be anything but) to have the Dutch & Dutch 8C’s, the are a ridiculously whopping 19,900 Australian rip off dollars (although I have seen them advertised for $16,000). So I would definitely purchased them.

If there was any change it would go towards a pair of KEF LS50 Wireless II’s

Well many are not really answering the OPs question so here’s my take.

Speakers: Harbeth Monitor 30XD
Amp: Benchmark AHB2 (2 in bridges mono mode)
DAC and Roon Core: Mytek Manhattan Bridge.

These are all companies that supply the pro market as well so know what they are doing in their respective areas and they will last for a long time. The Manhattan Bridge includes an integral Roon core so you are set in that front, however it is not available just yet

This should be less than GBP20000 so spend the rest on room treatments. You can do it without spending the sums some have mentioned here but its well worthwhile. Also some good quality but not expensive cables are worthwhile. Go balanced from the Mytek to the Benchmark. I think both companies sell very reasonably priced balanced cables…

If you do need to spend more on room treatment go with a single Benchmark Amp you won’t loose much and Room treatment will likely make a lot greater difference.

This is very similar to my current system and I have no plans to change anything which is saying something after 40 years in this hobby.

I wouldn’t do anything different to what I have now probably. At list + tax it comes to about $30,000 Canadian, which is about £18,000, leaving something for room treatment.

2018 Mac mini for Roon core
Lumin T2
Hegel H390
Dynaudio Contour 30s
Audio Sensibility speaker and XLR cables

These components integrate really well together, with great synergy, and the resulting sound quality is just excellent. I think I’d have to spend substantially more to get a significant improvement in SQ - and were I to do that I’d probably start with speakers.

1 Like

I would only buy a headphone amp. Does anyone have a $20k headphone amp recommendation? I have everything for both ends of the headphone amp. It has to drive my Focal Utopia headphones that I’ve upgraded with Transparent balanced cables. My source equipment is a dCS Vivaldi DAC, clock and upsampler that are connected with Transparent Magnum Opus cables, so it needs to be an amazing headphone amp. Any suggestions?

Cheers,
Thyce

Professional design of my media room, and maybe if enough funds upgrade my Klipsch LaScala to Klipsch Horns (used okay). :blush:

McIntosh MA12000 and a pair of nice speakers.

A used Devialet 220, a small ROON server, Silversmith audio Fidelium speaker cables and the best Wilsons I can afford with the leftover money (about 13K).