Your favourite 4 ECM albums?

I didn’t imply a sequence.
But I’m not very interested in the old stuff.
When people talk about which is the best decade, I say NOW and the answer has always been NOW.
Americans are Vijay Iyer and Rudresh Mahantappa and Wadada Leo Smith and Marilyn Crispell and Craig Taborn and Tyshawn Sorey and Andrew Cyrille.

2 Likes

Sorry about that, however I quite agree about the current times being very important. There is a local Newark, NJ jazz radio station WBGO, and because there is no full time jazz radio in NYC - the jazz capitol of the world, WBGO is considered by many to be one the premier jazz station in the US, that plays way, way too much “dead people” jazz and no where near enough music by living and young musicians. Sad, very sad.

So while history is important, in order to keep jazz living and growing the younger players need to be heard.

Excellent point. I would only add that the younger players need also to be good.

I respect people’s opinions as a matter of default. But, IMO, if, say, WBGO went to an “all-ECM” format, they’d be dead in six months. To my ear, their offerings are at or near the bleeding edge of music and tough to listen to in volume.

A broad generalization, I know.

Nice list, but very established rather than up-and-coming. Let’s add some (relative) youth to the set: Adam O’Farrill, Quinsin Nachoff, James Brandon Lewis, Marilyn Mazur, Mary Halvorson, María Grand, Allison Miller, Adam Cruz, Walter Smith III, Gerald Clayton, John Escreet, Aaron Parks, … None on ECM AFAIK :confused:

Sure. I think of Smith (78) and Crispell (72) as young and adventurous, just like I think if me…

You’re right, those are all interesting (and thanks, hadn’t heard of O’Farrill and Nachoff).

And the same is true in Europe. I enjoyed the old guard, but then we got Esbjörn Svensson and Bałdych and Wallny and Parisien and Battaglia and Courtois… and even younger guys like Brederode and Woeste…

So much great stuff.

1 Like

2 Likes

1 Like

3 Likes

Hey guys. Nice discussion.
Let me suggest some recent jazz music from Germany, non-ECM. But I put it here because of the discussion about new Jazz music. Maybe you like it and find it inspiring. Lots of good Jazz outside the US;)

Melt Trio - Stroy
Nils Wogram - Root 70
Peter Herbert - B A C H and Toni
Der Rote Bereich - Love me tender
Carlos Bica - Believer
Bernhard Meyer - Murmuration
Etc

1 Like

ECM albums I like, Even though I haven’t heard them in a while:

Abercrombie - Timeless
Abercrombie - Sargasso Sea
Dave Holland - Emerald tears
Dave Holland - Extented Play (most fun and energetic Jazz I know of)

2 Likes

The Extended Play record must have been such an amazing concert at Birdland. I wish I would have been there…

2 Likes

you all should start a New Jazz thread… Released within the last 5 years (or some criteria)!!

Jarrett’s Koln Concert has been nominated several times above. Apologies if it has already been mentioned, but Manuel Barrueco’s guitar transcription of the last movement is well worth a listen. Truly beautiful playing, and the ‘off piste’ section just after 2 minutes is a marvel of playing.

It sounded quite good in dCS’s listening room when I was on a factory visit too!

2 Likes

I’m more of a casual collector, but would be grateful for any recommendations as to ‘must have’ versions.

Whoever gave 3 stars to this masterpiece is out of his wits

3 Likes

What’s the name of the album?
I have a lot of Barrueca, but can’t find the Köln concert.

Anders

I’m not sure if it’s on a specific Barrueco album. I found it on this compilation, which looks a bit naff but is actually really good all the way through (so much so that I bought the CDs). The Koln concert movement is on the last disc I think - if not then definitely towards the end.

Let me know what you think - the more I listen to Barrueco the more I’m convinced he’s one of the best guitarists there is. The bit where he goes ‘off piste’ about 2 minutes in is sublime

2 Likes

The Köln Concerto is also on this album:

RoonShareImage-637123739686825610

2 Likes

6 Likes

Yes, I love Anouar Brahem.

Thomas Morgan has my attention lately:

5 Likes