Your favourite albums?

You summed up my thoughts about this album entirely. It is such a shame that the recording does not shine because the musical performance is excellent. I went to the tour concert at the Locarno in Birmingham, a fantastic gig.

EDIT - This album was originally released on vinyl, and I doubt it was recorded in digital. Digital pop recordings tended to lag behind classical by a few years although there are a few exceptions. When music companies were busy issuing CDs of recent recordings to build up a catalogue, my view is that many did not receive optimum care and attention, the labelsā€™ main concern was to build a big CD catalogue.

2 Likes

Can confirm. My vinyl version sounds good. You would think there is an analog master tape somewhere ā€¦ Maybe it can get some MQA love.

1 Like

@Mark_Johnson thanks! Letā€™s keep this thread going itā€™s a great oneā€¦ love to hear folksā€™s faves

I just realise as Iā€™m singing along to all these tracks how much I like this album and what a wonderful one it is.

http://i.imgur.com/2O0EDtv.png

Even Kevinā€™s atrocious attempt at Gaelic in All in All can be forgiven.
One of those albums perhaps overshadowed by THE BIG HIT but there isnā€™t a dud on this album and itā€™s a joyous album, with a huge nod towards Van but nonetheless with enough originality to make it quite a unique sounding record.

The version on Tidal is a double CD but itā€™s tracks 1-10 CD1 thatā€™s the business.

.sjb

3 Likes

Stunning return after 22 years from the kings of shoegaze!

I would say this is a hot favourite to be my album of the year.

ā€˜Go Get Itā€™ is probably going to be my track of the year as well.

Awesome stuff!

6 Likes

I agree, this has totally surprised me. Iā€™m listening to Slowdive more than anything else at the moment and I was never a big fan.

3 Likes

Boy if any of you like Jazzā€¦then this guy is for you. Not only is it great jazz but is recorded very well! Mostly all instrumentalsā€¦I use a couple of his songs for reference for Bass, Drive and Slam!..did I mention he is fabulously recorded??

6 Likes

@LarryMagoo Well what can I say? Stunning saxophonist. Iā€™m a Grover fan too so explains why I like his style. Futuresoul is a great album and the 1st track ā€œDrumlineā€ gets your body movingā€¦thanks for the heads up Larry and heā€™s already added to my favourites tag!

1 Like

Mark,

You comment gave me a huge SMILE!:laughing: ā€œDrumlineā€ is one on my reference songs! I have 13-14 BJ albums and just love the quality of the recordings!!! I will now seek out some Grover based on your comments!!!

Please let me know if you have any more recommendationsā€¦ I am a huge Smooth Jazz fan as I really enjoy structured Jazz as opposed to the free-form stuff that they could never play the same twice. .

Futuresoul is the only Down-Load I could find from him in High Resā€¦

1 Like

Just finished listening to Futuresoul and heā€™s definitely influenced by the late great Grover Washington Jr. If you like Sax try some Stan Getzā€¦in my opinion the greatest sax player ever!

1 Like

Listening to ā€œBody Languageā€ now and if I was asked whoā€™s playing with only knowing a few Grover tracks, Iā€™d say Grover, but I know all Groverā€™s recordings so it must be? Someone who is definitely influenced by the great man!

3 Likes

Yep got that Album too. I also really like BJā€™s ā€œRideā€ and itā€™s title track!

What GW Jr. albums do you recommend? And yes I do enjoy the mellifluous tones of Stan Getz! His buddy Gilberto as wellā€¦

1 Like

ā€œCome Morningā€ ā€œWinelightā€ and ā€œInside Movesā€ but most are on Tidal

1 Like

Okay Guys & Girlsā€¦This album is superb. Probably one of the finest pianists and Sax players together on this album. Smoochy Stuffā€¦well thatā€™s what I call it. Answers on a postcard to tell me when Stan takes a breathā€¦amazing!

3 Likes

http://i.imgur.com/AIxkIzX.png

Have been listening to this since the mid 80ā€™s. With me every step of the way. Sorely underrated group, who never sold out and remained true to their roots, despite the calling of the West Coast.

3 Likes

@Sloop_John_B

Any chance to change the rules as to the frequency of posting?

1 album per month seems a bit stingy! 1 a day max would be better :slight_smile:

1 Like

I donā€™t think itā€™s a good idea. Only posting once a month did force you to pick the real gems :slight_smile:

There already is a great thread for this :wink:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/what-are-you-listening-to-now/8438/3045

1 Like

http://i.imgur.com/lzy3UU5.png
My first nom, for two reasons. The first is very personal and we probably all have that one album we associate with a place in memory so real that seems to affect all six senses. This is that album for me. I was 13 when it came out and it probably represents a certain awakening to the power of music but for whatever reason, I still canā€™t hear a snippet of Free without being transported. It also marks a bridge and a blueprint from the early British blues of savoy brown and fleetwood mac (yardbirds, bluesbreakers, etcā€¦) to the early 70ā€™s boogie music of humble pie, foghat, bad company, et al. I also think it stands up remarkably well - it would be great album if it came out today.

6 Likes

Yeah, OK! I guess once per day is a BIT much :slight_smile:

But maybe one per week ? :wink: