Your screen resolution is too small to run Roon. Please try to run maximized or full screen

I just upgraded to Windows 10 on my HTPC and Surface. Roon now gives me this error and will only run in full screen mode. My screen resolution is 4096x2160.

1 Like

Hey @cgw – we can take a look at your logs and confirm, but generally speaking, that only happens if Roon doesn’t have enough vertical resolution to display the full interface.

My guess here would be that your graphics card needs some driver upgrades for Windows 10 – can you take a look at Device Manager and/or your graphics card manufacturer’s website, and see if updated drivers are available? And if not, can you let us know what graphics card you’re using?

We’ll figure out what’s going on, but this will be something related to what Roon is getting from your graphics driver in Windows 10. We’ll figure it out, but hopefully it’s just a driver update. Let me know how how it goes and we’ll go from there.

Sorry for the trouble!

Suggestion:

1. Download the latest Windows 10 drivers from the hardware manufacturer website.

2. Also, verify that desktop scaling has not been increased on your HTPC. During the upgrade process, Win 10 had decided to set the scaling on its own (running on a 4k tv) and had set the desktop to scale to 175% of normal during the upgrade process. Scaling it back down to 125% left enough vertical resolution to let Roon run and things big enough for my older eyes to read on screen.

regards
I am experiecing the same on Surface Pro 3 i5 128.

Since its made by Microsift, its unlikely that there would be missing drivers in thw w10 upgrade.

On a S 3 Pro i7 512GB, Windows-10, you can’t really update the drivers “outside” of the Windows Update option - which is probably also true of all other Surface models. Microsoft controls all the drivers as it’s a Microsoft (hardware) product.
On my self-built desktop PC, also with i7, which I use as my core, I’ve updated using the Intel Driver Update Utility which gave me an alternative option (which worked), and when I run Windows-10 Update, it rolls me back to the previous option - which also works.

Maybe a ticket to the Roonies & Microsoft…?

I had a similar problem with my W10 update, though not on an SP3 to be fair.

My Graphics Card was showing up as a Microsoft Basic Display Adapter in Device Manager, Display Adapter.
So I ticked Uninstall the Display Adapter, rebooted and all came good after the next boot cycle.

Others have had similar issue it seems, and it can sometimes take two or three reboots before it gets the correct drivers.

I thinkyou are correct. My SP 3 once uograded to w10 shiws the display as generic

Verified that the font scaling can not be more than 125%. After the upgrade to Windows 10 my font scaling was set to 150% which did not work.

1 Like

With my 4K projector I could bump the font resolution to 250%.

Hi,
after I’ve migrated roon Server from my HTPC W7 64 to a NUC with W8.1 64 I’ve the same problem. Not always, but sometimes roon stopps working with this message.
Actually I’m updating the Drivers as recommendet. Hopefully that helps.
Any further ideas?
Thank you
Armin

It happened exactly same to my Intel NUC with Win 10. I do not think there will be any driver compatibility problem as my NUC is brand new, right?

Mike,

Could you tell me how this was resolved eventually? This evening, I’ve had the exact same problem with a Lenovo Yoga 700 fitted with an Intel HD Graphic 520 card fully up-to-date on Windows 10. The machine is 8GB RAM, 6th generation Core i5 and 1920 x 1080 resolution. The interface takes up the whole screen and obscures the task bar. Alt+Tab does not work; I have to resort to Alt+Ctrl+Del to get to the task manager and that only works intermittently. In addition large portions of the screen will go blank during music play. What might be going wrong here? I’ve run the update function on the card and Windows is happy that its up to date with a date stamp of August 2015.

1 Like

I had to reduce my font size. With 4K screen I tried using 150% and I needed to reduce that before things would world.

Hi @Reg_Basimi ---- Thank you for report and my apologies for the continued troubles. I did some research on your graphics card (HD Graphic 520) and found a driver update for this card on Intel’s website from August 3, 2016. Are you able to confirm that you have this most recent update?

Furthermore, have you tried experimenting with reducing the font size as Chad had suggested? If so, what were the results?

Thanks!
-Eric

Hi Eric,

Thanks for coming back. Decided to send the laptop back and planning to move to a mini PC with 19" touch screen monitor. So, no more interest in this!

Regards

1 Like