YouTube integration

Just sort a pre amp with enough inputs, that’s easy. Most people do this so I expect Youtube will not be high on their to do list.
I always use my TV’s through my main system anyway. I bought it, I’m gonna use it.

I certainly don’t; the list is long. For me though, there are times I want to consume youtube content, not for the video but for the audio, and I didn’t come here because I refuse to use the right tools. After all, this is Feature Requests, is it not?

4 Likes

It would be nice to.integrate YouTube music as I enjoy the content diversity.

However I now cast to the cheap Google audio puck (sadly discontinued), using the optical input of my active speakers. A compromise, yes, but manageable

2 Likes

That’s what I use, Chromecast into TV the TV to pre amp. Great for Facebook gigs too

1 Like

Has roon ever explained why no youtube integration
With a pink faun server I would like to play some of the high quality classical content but not possible unless I go back to j river or change to euphony
At the price I should not have to add some dongle and optical route to dac

Bandcamp would also be great as a music preview

Thanks
Phil

Integration is the main issue as I see it. Otherwise we dilute the experience.
You tube is easy, cast it to yourTV and have the TV connected to your pre amp. Not sure why or how it could be integrated.

1 Like

I was the original poster. The idea is that there is music on you tube that isn’t available any where else. Concerts are what I’m thinking here.

It would be nice to be able to use Roon’s upsampling/DSP with it and integrate it to the library.

However, I’m using a Chromecast and pulling it into my DAC via toslink, it works ok.

I’m a bit concerned about people coming in and demanding to know why this feature set isn’t available because Roon is expensive. You paid for the current feature set. Sure it would be nice if Roon added this to enhance my music experience, but it is in by no means necessary.

2 Likes

It’s because people want Roon, but they don’t want Roon.

3 Likes

I would just like an answer from roon … is it technical philosophical or laziness

There is no doubt that classical content on you tube is amazing and will continue to increase and if roon pretends they are a serious streaming offer they just need to implement it !
They are conspicuously absent from this thread

This is a modern problem… set up a discussion group where people help each other while roon sit on their arse

It happens over and over in all tech organizations

We are being screwed

P

You just need a preamp input to enjoy Youtube, I don’t see how it could integrate with Roon and not be a second class integration.
I can see you may want to pass it through your Roon DSP engine perhaps, but that’s something else.

I certainly can’t speak for Roon, but my 2 cents:

1. YouTube is for VIDEO. If you want to play something from there in Roon, why not just download it, extract the audio (Downie will do both), and add it to your library?

2. Roon integration requires the host to provide Roon a regular content database of some sort, this has to be licensed, managed and paid for by someone.

4 Likes

I don’t think anyone is being “screwed.” I bought Roon for what it is and what it does, not what someone hopes it might do in the future.

6 Likes

Thanks for your responses … I understand your points.
In the early days of roon there was a very active response to requests by the developers and the promise of continuous improvement.
I was just asking roon for a reason there is no simple access to youtube audio given its rise
For instance it could sit at the side of the platform like jriver
No need for metadata just the stream
My reference to being screwed is more general …all the organizations that set up these community forums and then drop out and retreat behind the castle wall

Just a simple explanation from roon does not appear to have occured on this very long thread … that is all I was after … it it possible or is it never

Cheers
Phil

1 Like

Hi guys. I just setup my first roon server as a docker container on a new unraid server. I love the idea of Roon and am enjoying the trial with my local media collection. However I was surprised to learn YouTube music does not seem to be possible or on the horizon.

I would bite the bullet on a lifetime subscription if I could get this integration in place as I already pay a monthly family plan for YouTube premium. I really don’t like the idea of paying for Tidal or QoBuz just because roon doesn’t support YouTube music.

Can any Roon representatives give some sort of a hint as to whether YouTube music is on the cards any time soon or not. I assume not but hoping to hear otherwise.

1 Like

Roon never comments on their plans.

1 Like

Reviving again, here’s the inescapable reality… a lot of us are music explorers right? The music industry has gone through multiple rounds of disintermediation and disruption right? Roon is going to be in our lives for years to come right? Well then it follows that we’ll not always have a high-res source while exploring especially for live concerts, the source will continue to change as Tidal / Apple Music is not the end state for sourcing and pretty sure the genie is out of the bottle on live streamed events, and Roon Remote casts Roon into the digital equivalent of a preamp to some extent (it wants to be in the stack). I want run youtube, airdrop urls, airdrop files, bandsintown, etc through the same DSP channel with the same audio adjustments. If i can’t do this, Roon isn’t going to be the mass differentiator I hoped, it will be an exploration sidecar that isn’t really “Part of the Stack”, and a wonky experience for doing other things not involving roon. If Roon wants to be “Part of the Stack”, the sourcing needs to become a product priority, else why would I keep it for years to come?

3 Likes

The assumption a lot of posters here are marking is everyone has a preamp. If you don’t own one and you are relying on roon streaming via WiFi to your speakers, it’s a relevant question to ask.

It’s the equivalent of telling someone without a car and licence to ‘just drive there’.

YouTube is no longer for video only, Google Play Music is no more and now instead YouTube Music plays your purchased Google Play tracks, other tracks and the sound from most YouTube music videos, whether they be tracks, concert footage or television appearances etc.

Found and read this entire thread. I concur that some integration with YouTube would be great. But also I am surprised that there has not been a vote for the following so let me cast it. (Correction, there have been very few votes for the following.) Lots of comments that this is only for audio, the video does not matter. For many YouTube tracks, sure. But also there are priceless videos on YouTube where you see the performers performing, and sometimes that yields an amazing experience. For me, sometimes, it can make the connection to the music far more profound. (Like reading the info on an LP - did you know there were once LPs with pictures and liner notes etc :slight_smile:) Isn’t that at least partially why we go/went to concerts, be they classical, jazz, Dead, early rock, or what have you? YouTube can bring that to you. I get the point that you can easily cast these in a room set up for that (but perhaps requiring extra hardware in that room), but it would be very cool to be able to push the video around the house the same way you can push the audio. And have it better organized, in one locale. Hardly a deal breaker for me, but what could be a very cool feature that is missing from Roon.

1 Like

People need to stop using the erroneous term “integration.”

That is not going to happen with Roon and YouTube. Never. Because in Roon context, “integration” of a streaming service requires full access to that service’s database along with regular updates. That is infeasible for the millions or even billions of videos on YouTube now. Not to mention, the lack of recognizable, music centric metadata for all of those videos.

No, what people may request is Roon interconnection with YouTube and possibly other third party sources. That actually could happen, though Roon has declined to offer outside source interconnection thus far.

AJ

1 Like