YouTube integration

Not sure how it could be integrated into Roon and even less sure Youtube would be interested.

2 Likes

I agree YouTube integration is pretty broad but YouTube music service IMO makes more sense, it is more specific.

1 Like

Another nudge for this request. To be clear, for me this is not about video, it is about the awesome music on YouTube. I am just interested in the audio stream.

Just take yesterdayā€™s https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCg3_C7BwcV0kBlJbBFHTPJQ Global Citizen digital concert. I find that a lot of the live performances do make it to youtube, but not on tidal or qobuz.

If it would be as simple as being able to copy and paste a youtube url into Roon to play it (pause, fast forward, stop, that is pretty much the base requirement). No need for much more to get started. And, to stress again,ā€¦ no video needed.

Of course, I can imagine team Roon to do something much more slick (still without video), but that should not hold back starting a base feature. Like the approach with live radio.

4 Likes

Thatā€™s true if you use Roon in one room. If you have several rooms, itā€™s already complicated to select the fitting endpoints for each room (the endpoint should not cost more than the speakers, it should have an off button or at least boot up quickly and so on). You probably end up with a mixture of endpoints that are all connectec via the Roon app. But not all of them can play everything else, and even if they can, you may need different approaches for each endpoint.

My main reason to license Roon was that it makes my life easier once it runs (I used Raumfeld before in 4 different rooms of my appartment). It would make it easier for me if I could just Chromecast audio content to Roon which is then transmitted by Roon to the endpoints.

+1

Every other item in my Facebook feed is a new YouTube concert I canā€™t listen to on my system.

Prince
A Morrisette
Rock and Roll Hall of Fame
Iggy POP
Etc

All just noticed IN THE LAST FIVE MINUTES!

In this age of no concerts I think this is an important feature to consider.

Michael

3 Likes

+1.

Especially in this new age of abundant YouTube live streams, playing these through my main system via Roon would be a huge plus. (Yes, I know YouTubeā€™s audio bitrate is horrible, but itā€™s about enjoying a communal event not about premium audio quality.)

Thinking this works like internet radio stations in Roon. You paste in the YouTube URL and Roon plays the audio stream. :metal:

2 Likes

Yes please for YouTube Music integration!

3 Likes

+1

/10char

1 Like

Cast or Airplay will get you there. The request is for integration much like Tidal or Qobuz. Unfortunately this requires Alphabet/Google/YouTube to want to do this and share user metrics which history has shown they donā€™t do, share that is.

I am using a Google cast audio puck and itā€™s optical output to scratch my YouTube music itch, and a raspberry pi4 running Ropieeexl USB output as a Roon bridge into our new Klipsch Fives - really happy with the results.

Reviving this Old thread.

Is there any news on this. Being able to push youtube into roon and play it in multi room would be amazing. Even if the core does the processing and streams just the processed audio signal would be a big win.

2 Likes

My guess: Highly unlikely. Doesnt add value either. You just dont get ā€œaudiophileā€ audio quality in Youtube. Why would Roon want to bother?

2 Likes

I completely donā€™t understand discussions like this. Iā€™m running Roon on a Windows desktop machine which can also play Youtube, Soundcloud, Spotify, Deezer, Any website with audio, Plex, Netflix etc etc the list is very long, it even can play CDā€™s and DVDā€™s. Now talking about convenience, and that is just a bog standard Windows machine, nothing special about it. Just donā€™t bury yourself to deep into the Roon universe and you have got the whole world at your fingertips. Many people over here seem to want everything any decent computer can do nowadays but they also seem to be allergic to computers at the same time, strange, very very strange. Donā€™t make it that hard on yourself. Donā€™t let your life depend on Roon alone.

5 Likes

Yep. horses for courses, as they say.

Sure but thereā€™s also a lot of great live content thatā€™s only on youtube. Thereā€™s also old folk music from my fatherā€™s youth and homeland that are seemingly only available on youtube. I donā€™t listen to either critically but I also donā€™t want to sit in my office on my PC when the old man comes over. Rather I would love to be able to sit in the living room and listen to that content through my stereo. Is it going to be ā€œaudiophileā€ quality? No, but thatā€™s not why itā€™s desired. For me youtube integration is desired for content and convenience, and would add a lot of value to Roon.

3 Likes

Thatā€™s exactly what I mean with making it harder on yourself than necessary. Just put a fanless desktop into your audio rack and you can play anything you want, itā€™s that easy. Iā€™m not sitting in my office, I listen to anything I can imagine in my living room via a bog-standard PC. Thatā€™s what I mean with wanting everything a PC can do but refusing to use a PC at the same time, thatā€™s strange, very very strange.

1 Like

Chromecast to your amp/ TV and you can stream YouTube content through the stereo. I do it all the time, as you sayā€¦ there is a lot of great content.
What do you need Roon for?

1 Like

I still want to hear it through my main system in my living room which only has vinyl/phono stage and Roon Bridge/DAC as inputs.

1 Like

Thatā€™s what I mean with not burying yourself to deep in the Roon universe. The world is bigger than Roon, itā€™s just one of the many music sources out there, itā€™s not an all-in-one solution to everything. You obviously want something that can be done very easily but you refuse to use the right tools for it. Itā€™s dead easy to play Youtube or any other music source out there in your listening room, but no, not if you insist on solely using Roon. Itā€™s just a music player donā€™t expect it to solve all of your convenient issues.

2 Likes

The best question of the year!