Zones disappearing after initial setup

Core Machine (Operating system/System info/Roon build number)

Windows 10 Ver 1903 Build 18362.476 Intel i5 8400 16gb Ram Samsung EVO SSD 256gb and Seagate Cloud 4TB hard drive connect by USB to PC

Network Details (Including networking gear model/manufacturer and if on WiFi/Ethernet)

All connected by ethernet cat 6. PC via Source 60GB up and download speeds to HUB to Asus RT AC68U and Apple Time Capsule

PC to Headphones USB and 3.5mm
Chord Mojo via PC USB to Marantz SR6013 by RCA or headphones direct
Fiio M9 via PC USB to Marantz SR6013 by RCA or headphones direct
Airplay to Marantz SR6013
Chromecast to 2 Sony X8500 TV’s

Description Of Problem
On installation Roon picks up all the above and works correctly.

As soon as you close Roon and reopen the Marantz and TVs Zones are still OK but no PC Zones are available nor the Fiio M9 or Chord Mojo, nor do they appear on a new search via settings.

All was OK for many months. Have reinstalled Room many times, each time all is ok until the first close and reopen.

I also have extremely frequent cut-offs when playing music which do not seem to occur after first set up Again Roon was stable for months before this started.

Do you have any RealTek drivers loaded?

Hi @Colin_Wilby,

Welcome to the forum. This sounds to me like it could be a firewall-related issue, can I please ask that you check this aspect?

Since you are using a Windows PC, I would verify that both Roon.exe and RAATServer.exe have been added as exceptions to your Windows firewall.

You can use these instructions to add the exceptions and the executables themselves would be located in your Database Location/Application folder path. I would also add these exceptions to any Antivirus or other Firewall blocking applications you may have.

I have already checked this. Just to make sure I turned off Windows Firewall (Defender) uninstalled Roon and its databases, reinstalled and the problem still exists.

Yes Digital and Speakers. On a new install and before closing Roon all these show-up and I can use output from front and rear headphone jacks and USB output. As soon as I close and reopen these do not appear in audio zones or get picked up in an search.

RealTek drivers can cause a lot of issues. I uninstalled the drivers and just use the Microsoft HD Audio drivers instead. Never had an issue since.

But, first I’d suggest getting the absolute latest Realtek drivers, what is the make/model of your computer or computer motherboard?

ROG Strix Z790E Gaming Rdc 1.xx

All my Realtek drivers are up-to date and Roon worked properly for many months with these drivers before this problem occurred. I suspect it is a Windows update that has caused this. I can try reinstalling Windows but it is a lot of work and means I cannot update without the same worry in future.

Just tried installing Core on another PC with different spec but same version and build of Windows 10 and this problem does not occur. I assume this rules out Windows update causing the problem. Hope this helps.

Hmm. a gaming laptop. Do you game with it or are you dedicating it to running Roon? Some gaming audio software, can interfere with Roon’s communication to the device’s audio.

You might review this thread and see if it helps:

It seems that this is the problem. I disabled all occurrences of Nahimic running in the background in task manager, reinstalled and when exiting and reloading Roon the PC linked devices still show in Audio zones. Just need to work out how to stop these staring when rebooting the PC. Cannot see how in Task Manager/Startup. Thank you so much so far, please let me know how to do this as I will have a go in the morning it is late in Bali, Indonesia.

You should be able to select an application in the Task Manager Startup window, and disable it by clicking the “Disable” button in the bottom right of the window.

Sure, if you go to task manager first make sure you have clicked More Details, then there are a row of Tabs at the top. One is called Startup. Go to that tab, look for NahimicAPI and Change them to disabled so it will not restart on a reboot. Then go to the Processes Tab and look for any currently running NahimicAPI processes and End Them.

1 Like

Thank you once again, all working now I am very happy.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.