A LOT of albums are missing

Hello,

It seems to like ROON can’t do the basics right.
I imported my library from NAS and… there is like 100’s of albums missing!
I ticked on “show hidden albums” and forced to rescan - no luck!
jRiver MC and even iTunes don’t have such a problem.

any advice would be greatly appreciated.

cheers,
Adam

Hi Adam,
Are your music files on a hard drive that is connected over USB to the NAS or stored on an internal bay of it?
Do you know what filesystem your disk with the music files is using?

Hi Hi Hi,

all of my music (mostly tagged WAVs) is on Synology NAS (ex4 file system).

cheers,
A.

Do you know if the missing files are all/mostly WAV files?
I might be wrong on this, but as far as I know there is no standardised method of implementing metadata into wave files.

Also (if you have not done so already) have a look at this and see if it offers any insight.

https://kb.roonlabs.com/FAQ:_Some_of_my_files_aren’t_showing_up_in_Roon

m4a, wav and mp3 files ARE missing.

Some of my WAV albums are included some of them not.
I can’t think of any pattern… I checked tags etc.

that is quite odd.
Maybe someone from the @support team can help or has an idea.

Hello @Adam_Dabrowski,

Can you try the following test to re-confirm the issue:

1. Disable all watched/organized folders you have
  2. Add new local watched folder to Roon (create a folder on the built-in drive of the machine where Roon Core is installed)
  3. Copy one of the missing albums in the folder from step#2
  4. ‘Force rescan’ recently created watched folder
  5. Go to Albums browser and verify that album is missing

Thanks

Thank you @vova

Yes it works. It found this album properly…

any ideas?

Hey @Adam_Dabrowski,

Sorry for slow response here, so there are two options:

1. User error - you just didn’t notice the album among others
  2. They were not picked up from your NAS

For the first case I would suggest the following:

1. Disable the test folder you’ve added
  2. Enable your main folders
  3. Since you already know how Roon identified an album try:
  • to use Search
  • to open Albums browser, press / and type the name of the album

If the album can’t be found using search or focus, or any other method, this must be a second option. At this point try to ‘Force rescan’ the folder, in case it won’t work let us know.

Hi @vova

Re 1. I’m sure i didn’t miss 100+ albums. My library consists over 12k tracks. Only 2k tracks were imported.
Re 2. looks like it

I already tried ‘Force rescan’.

Nothing works.

cheers,
A

@Eric
I think there is a clue in the mention of tagged wav files.
I suggest getting some samples of albums not accepted by Roon.

@ncpl
but I copied 1 wav album to local HDD and everything went well.
also not just WAVs are missing… m4a, mp3 as well.

Just a thought: Could it be that the scanning process is hanging on a bad file and does not resume in scanning the rest…?

Hi @Adam_Dabrowski ----- Thank you for the report and the continued feedback. My apologies for the troubles here. My gut feeling is that something is happening across your network, more specifically when Roon is communicating with your NAS as moving content to internal storage appears to have eliminated the issue.

With that being said, in order accurately evaluate this problem I’d like to gather some more information from you. May I kindly ask you for the following:

1. Could you please provide a detailed description of your current setup, as seen here.

2. Please describe your current network configuration and topology. I would to get an understanding of how your devices are communicating (Wifi, ethernet, or both) and any networking hardware you may be implementing in your setup (routers, repeaters, extenders, switches etc).

3. How are you mounting your NAS in Roon? Can you please provide a screen shot the “Storage” tab found in settings.

The more detailed and specific you can be, in regard to the above, the better :sunglasses:

Thanks!
-Eric

Hi @Eric,

Re 1.
Roon 1.2 build 157

Core: Windows 10 (16gb RAM, i7 4875T)
and Mac Os X El Captain 10.11.6 (8gb RAM, i5)

All music is stored on Synology NAS

Re 2.
Router/Modem—ethernet—>Synology NAS —WiFi (SMB protocol)—> Music Server (Win 10)—WiFi—> MacBook Pro

Re 3.

Hi @Adam_Dabrowski ---- Thank you for the follow about and the feedback. Both are greatly appreciated! I would like to try and test with some of your media in house to see if I can reproduce the issue on our end.

Are you able to provide me a few samples that you’ve have been noticing this issue with via a dropbox link? If you are not a dropbox user, no worries, I can offer another method of upload if need be. Let me know.

Thanks!
-Eric

@Eric I can send you wetranfer link. How to send priv message?
I will include 1 wav, 1 mp3 and 1 m4a.

cheers

1 Like

Awesome, thanks Adam (@Adam_Dabrowski)! All you have to do is click on my name (Eric) and you will see a window appear and “message” will be an option. Drop me a link and I will put this in my testing queue.

Thanks!
-Eric

i feel stupid but i can’t see it.