Zone is no longer identified and I-Mac with 4 hard drives isn't recognized

I apologize in advance if this question has already been asked and answered, but I am brand new to Roon. When I loaded Roon on my Mac Mini yesterday it identified my Audioquest Dragonfly vol 1.0 and I was able to listen to music immediately. Everything worked perfectly for the entire day. However, I wasn’t able to get any output through my Dragonfly this morning. I opened up I-Tunes and was able to listen to music indicating that my Dragonfly was still functioning properly. I decided to disable my Dragonfly, logout of Roon, and then open Roon back up and then enable my Dragonfly. Upon opening up the application, my Dragonfly was no longer identified. I have an Apple TV on a system across from this one that I enabled, and is now playing perfectly, but I want to have my Dragonfly system working. Also, in addition to the Apple TVs, and Marantz SR7010 that were identified, I have 4 additional hard drives that are connected to a 24" I-Mac that I connect to my system through Airplay. I would like to know how I can get those files to be loaded into Roon. My I-Mac was also not identified.

Hi @Russell_Katz ---- Thank you for your feedback and sorry for the problem here. I am certain we can get this worked out for you :slight_smile: Let’s Break this down into two sections: Dragonfly DAC and I-Mac w/ Hard Drives.

Dragonfly DAC:
In order to accurately evaluate what may be going on with this DAC, may I ask you to please provide a screen grab of audio tab found in settings as seen below. I am also providing you with a link to our knowledge base with information on ways to setup and identify your DAC in roon.

I-Mac With Hard Drives:
Based on your feedback my assumption is (and please correct me if I am wrong) that your Mac Mini is acting as your core and the I-Mac where the drives are located is acting as a remote. If the I-Mac is indeed acting as a control device you will want to move the drives over to the Mac Mini and have roon identify them as being “watched” to see the content.

-Eric

Hi Eric-I’ve actually cancelled my trial, but am willing to give it another shot if you can help me fix my issues. I was able to find my Dragonfly after restarting my computer a couple of times. Per your suggestion, I moved my 4 additional hard drives over to my Mac Mini and allowed Roon to access all of my files. Here is where my new issues occurred. I had a little over 20,000 albums (329,000 tracks) listed when Roon was finished. When I opened Roon it took about 5 minutes to load. After it loaded it took forever for an album to begin. On more than one occasion an album would start playing with no audio output and it would play about 10 seconds of a song and then move to the next track. It was almost like a tuner scanning for stations on an FM radio. I noticed this occurred for at least one of your other customers. I’d be willing to sign up again if you can resolve the scanning issue, and how long it takes to load my music. I loved having access to all my music in one place (instead of having to open up each individual hard drive to see what was on there), the bio information, and the integration with Tidal, however I can listen to any song I want through I-Tunes instantaneously.
I look forward to seeing your solutions.
Russ

Russ –

That’s a sizable library that will put some strain on your core system. Roon will be able to handle it just fine, given the hardware is up to the task.

What are the mini’s system specs – and does it have a spinning harddrive or an SSD?

Thanks for chiming in @RBM! @Russell_Katz sorry for the issue here, as Rene has suggested, could you please provide some more information about your current setup as seen here. This will make it easier to evaluate what could potentially be causing this problem. Thanks!

-Eric

Here are the specs to my Mac Mini

Mac Mini late 2012
using OS-X El Capitan
The majority of my files have been ripped in either ALAC, or AIFF, with a few MP3 downloads.

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: Mac mini
Model Identifier: Macmini6,2
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 4 GB
Boot ROM Version: MM61.0106.B0A
SMC Version (system): 2.8f1
Hardware UUID: ABCCB798-FE7A-5D0D-B6AD-4BF1FC4FE185

All of my external hard drives are spinning at 7200 RPM.
I now have the following hard drives connected to my Mac Mini:
La Cie-Format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) capacity 4 TB-available 879.08 GB Used (3.12 TB on disk) connected with Lightning connector
G Raid-Format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) capacity 4 TB-available 3.39 TB connected using Firewire 800
G Raid-Format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) capacity 2 TB-available 47.12 GB connected using Firewire 800
Western Digital- Format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) capacity 2 TB available 775.65 GB connected using Firewire 800
La Cie-Format Mac OS Extended (Journaled) Capacity 3 TB available 2.56 TB connected with Lightning connector

I am also using Tidal, although the problem I’m having doesn’t seem to be related to Tidal.

I hope this helps-
Russ

Hi Russ

Most important for this is does your Mac Mini have an SSD if not it would explain all the delays. With that many albums/tracks the mac mini would have to have an SSD as its system drive, the speed of the external drives with the music on is not really relevant.

After cancelling my membership I was charged again for $199. Instead of E-mailing to get a credit on my card, I decided t give Roon one more try. In response to the recommendation from NickB, I went out and purchased a new Macbook Pro with a 1TB SSD to resolve the issue that i had before. I set up Roon, and everything seemed fine the first couple of days. It now is stopping in the middle of every song that I play. The response time is much quicker, but this is driving me crazy. I put in on radio, and it would stop after 10 seconds of some songs, and 50 seconds of other songs. Please help me. I just want to install this and have it work. I don’t have time to continue to mess with this.
Thanks-
Russ

Hey @Russell_Katz – sorry for the trouble. I’m sure we can get this working for you.

Can you give me the details of your setup, especially where you’re storing your music (I’m guessing the internal SSD) and what device you’re playing to? Still the Dragonfly?

Can you also try disabling your OSX firewall, and letting us know if that makes any difference?

Looking forward to getting this resolved for you soon @Russell_Katz!

Hi Mike-
I have changed my set up since adding the MacBook Pro.
I have the following drives attached: an older 2TB G-Raid Drive, 2 Newer and slimmer 2 TB G-Raid Drive, two 4 TB LaCie Drives, a 6TB La Cie Drive, and a 2 TB Western Digital Drive. I am not storing anything on the 1TB internal SSD Drive. I was told that I needed that to handle the amount of data that was being processed (buffering). I’ve been away from this computer for about an hour now, and now everything is playing fine. The Cat Stevens track that would stop 5 times in a row just played all the way through. I also just played an entire Miles Davis album with no problem.The Radio is now playing all of the tracks straight thru. I’m totally perplexed. I no longer have the Dragonfly connected. I have the MacBook Pro connected directly to a Pioneer Elite SC-09 receiver through an HDMI input, but have been listening to it through Blu-Tooth going to a Pro-Ject Maia DS Integrated Amp. I’d prefer to not turn my firewall off permanently. I’m heading out now, but will try it when I get back.