1.536mhz PCM / DSD1024 support

Currently Roon is only able to play files or output up to 768khz PCM or DSD512.

In Roon’s built in upsampling, the max rate is 768khz.
And if you put a 1.536mhz WAV or DSD1024 file in your library (created by a tool like PGGB or HQPlayer Pro), roon simply does not recognise/add it. So you are not able to play these files with Roon and must use a different player like Foobar or HQPlayer.

There are a few DACs like the Holo Audio or Denafrips lineup that allow for 1.536mhz or DSD1024 input, mostly for use with software like HQPlayer/PGGB. And it would be really ideal if we could have 1.536mhz PCM and DSD1024 output support so that files from PGGB can be played back with roon, and secondly if the upsampling limit in Roon itself could be raised to 1.536mhz for those who do not wish to use HQPlayer.
SoX itself supports this so it hopefully shouldn’t require much in the way of dev work.

95 posts were split to a new topic: 1.536Mhz PCM/DSD 1024 do we need it?

Cleaned this up and moved ALL of the debate style posts to their own new thread where the members can discuss at large without bespoiling a feature request.

Please visit the new thread to carry on the “debate”
Thank you
1.536Mhz PCM/DSD 1024 do we need it? - Roon Software - Roon Labs Community

13 Likes

Thank you very much

Given as there are seemingly going to be more DACs with 1.536mhz support in future such as the upcoming AKM chips, hopefully Roon can look at implementing support.

5 Likes

Really hope this is something Roon can implement.
I can’t imagine it’d take a huge amount of extra development work but would be really nice for PGGB users

3 Likes

PGGB has just released a new version which makes processing WAY faster thanks to new high precision computing libraries from Advanpix.

It’d be really great if Roon could add PCM1.536Mhz support so we can take full advantage of this

4 Likes

simply adding my voice to @GoldenSound’s request — as a paid-up licensee of 3 lifetime roon licenses.

please?

3 Likes

There are Roon DAC’s in the market that can receive 1.536Mhz PCM and/orDSD 1024 as well as online audio stores that offer files at these rates. This get’s my upvote.

5 Likes

When will DSD1024 support be implemented? There are many of us now, who request this update :blush:

4 Likes

Everyone could want a feature and it still might not get implemented. If there are plans to implement this feature, it will be implemented the Roon folks decide to do so. Posts like yours will not expedite it.

I’m new here, and simply asking a question out of curiosity, but with comments and attitudes like that, I’m tempted to find other options…

1 Like

Well, Roon also run the forum and at least encourage a little customer feedback. Nothing wrong with registering an interest. The developers do tend to march to the beat of their own drum though…

2 Likes

The purpose of the these feature requests is to register your interest. And that request is not unreasonable given that increasing numbers of Roon capable devices can do those numbers. If Roon have no intention of doing something they tend to say so. And on this case silence is actually encouraging! Use the vote button and let matters take their course.

3 Likes

The ESS chips are doing DSD 22.4 mhz, Roon where’s the support? My NAS can likely do the conversions, come on, rekindling this thread.

1 Like

I’m just wondering that at which point we are actually listening to music…

Oh, btw it will never end….
One nervosa after another.
Enjoy!

That is DSD512 which Roon already supports

Really hope this can be implemented. Surely this won’t require much dev time (it may even literally just be a config change? Other players have no issue with files of these rates)

2 Likes

This is speculation but I’m not sure it can happen before a new iteration of the Nucleus arrives with the processing power to do those numbers. The product and OS are tied together so it’ll probably be launched with the next generation Nucleus and Roon OS 2.0.

Nucleus will already be able to do this. In terms of processing power there’s almost nothing required and hell I’ve used a raspberry pi as a source for 1.536mhz content for a while.

The only potential holdup I’d imagine would be in compatibility with roon RAAT over the network. But in terms of local playback and/or processing power there would be no challenge there whatsoever. Also other network protocols like HQP NAA work fine for those rates so until someone at Roon explains why this can’t be/isn’t implemented we won’t know for sure

2 Likes