1.8 Leaks significant memory on OSX

1.8 continues to leak memory on OSX - just like it did in 1.7. I used ROON for 9h 34m in the past 4 days (11-14 Feb 2021 inclusive). During that time it grew from 1.66G to 3.45G. It uses about 500M in a 3 hour listening session. It has now got to the point where it frequently “stutters” starting tracks especially when changing stream formats. It never does this after a fresh start. It is also perceptibly slower browsing. Based on the exact same problem in V1.7 I fully expect it will crash or become unusable as it continues to consume memory.

Hardware
iMac 27" Mid 2011 - Mac OSX High Sierra 10.13.6
16G RAM, 256G SSD system disk, 2TB SSHD (internal) for musc storage
3.1G Intel Core i5
3095 Albums, 65K tracks about 35% from Tidal/Quboz
The iMAC is dedicated as a ROON server. It was a fresh install when I joined ROON with no other applications installed.

Music System
Meridian Ultra DAC on cat6 wired network to the iMac server
Naim MuSo Gen 1 (unused with ROON recently)
iPad Pro 12.9" A1584 V14.4 (only runs ROON app - nothing else)
iPad 5th Gen MPGT2B/A V14.4

ROON
V1.8 Build 756
No DSP functions enabled.
Quboz and Tidal subscriptions

1 Like

I too have exactly the same problem. Different hardware but exactly the same experience. Having to re-boot every day to manage the memory problem.

In addition, Roon radio is not working ie it gets to the end of the selection and then says “unexpected error” and stops. Re-boot doesn’t cure this.

I’ll chime in here too on this since I have a related experience. I also am running older Mac hardware, in my case, a 2008 Mac Pro. It’s ancient but an 8 core Xeon, 16 GB of RAM Catalina machine has been enough to run Roon in the past, especially with an SSD boot drive upgrade. The music is stored on a Firewire based Drobo Gen 2 (yes, old too).

My machine does run other things (Plex, HQ Player) but usually not together (except HQPlayer and Roon) which for what I ask isn’t overly stressing it. If anything, asking HQ Player to do too much is usually the problem.

My issue is been with Roon and Tidal. It’s not unusual for Roon to throw an error playing a Tidal track saying that Tidal is loading too slowly mid-song, then skipping to the next song. Sometimes it will play without problems. Other times the song skipping happens all the time. Hard to predict what mood Roon 1.8 will be on a given day.

At some point this machine will be retired for a Mac Mini with whatever higher-specced machine Apple comes out with later versus the 1st M1 from last year. But until then, it would be nice to figure out that Roon/Tidal problem. My Ethernet is gigabit wired, and my connection to Comcast is 1.25 gb/sec via a Unifi UDM-Pro router. In theory, I should have the fastest network performance this side of fiber. But this problem doesn’t make a lot of sense.

Also, so far I haven’t seen the music stuttering or Tidal-like playback issues with local files, but I’ll try to play some more non-streamed music to see if I can replicate it.

EDIT: Got the same problem with local files! Roon complained that the storage device was loading too slowly. I know for a fact that the storage device is only serving music right now and other else (Plex movies are on a different, faster connection).

i just checked my 2012 mac mini upon seeing this post - everything is working fine, low cpu, low mem usage, responsive and fast.

PS: I can see this is really a difficult business for Roon. :frowning: You need to fix all those sorts of issues, even these are not directly related to your own software or releases. I would not definitely want to be in your shoes.

Hi, I haven’t played ROON for the past 3 days. During this time it increased in size from 3.45G to 3.92G. Based on my experience with 1.7 during the past year I suspect that its the number of Tidal and Quboz albums that have been added. It started the year reasonably stable ( a week or two between reboots). By the end of the year it needed to be re-started ahead of any new listening session to avoid the glitches in streaming (and reduction in browsing performance). My local library is probably around 1900 CDs and this hasn’t increased much in the past year. However I have added a lot of alternate versions and new albums from both Tidal and Quboz. If I were looking for a smoking gun this is where I would spend my time.

1 Like

I’m going to take my complaint off the table since I realized after I wrote it that my Mac server problems were more than just Roon…it was affecting Plex as well. The issue turned out to be a network issue with a bonded Ethernet connection to my Unifi USW-24 Pro switch. It’s working fine now and I can play a Plex movie and stream MQA Tidal content on Roon simultaneously without hiccups as i was able to do before.

1 Like

Hi @Shaun_Moores

I just wanted to let you know our team is investigating this and we’ll be in touch when we have more info. Thanks!

Hi Dylan, thanks for the update. I did sign out of Tidal and Quboz yesterday and used the software for about 2.5 hours. The software started at 1.18G and finished at 1.67G. Hence the streaming services don’t seem to be a factor.

Album Count (no Quboz or Tidal) - 1779 Albums, 40166 Tracks
Album Count (with Quboz and Tidal) - 3105 Albums, 64793 Tracks

Thanks
Shaun

I’m also a Mac user. I was using a 2020 Mac mini (Intel) as my Roon core but recently switched to a Mac mini (M1) due to faster CPU and lower operating temp. I’ve not experienced any of the issues with memory leakage mentioned above. Perhaps it only applies to older Mac units.

Same here. iMac Retina 5K 27", late 2019, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, macos Big Sur. I work also on this machine all day and use Roon most of the time (my rough guess 75% Tidal, 25% local files). Started the machine up yesterday morning with Roon using under 1 gb memory, it’s now Tuesday in the afternoon and Roon is taking 3,85 gb of memory! Fortunately the hardware can handle it, although sometimes the iMac feels a bit “slow”. Still, i think it’s not normal that Roon keeps building up so much memory usage.

Hi Roy, thanks for your input. It reassures me that I am not reporting frivolously. I did restore my ROON installation to a more recent iMac (Retina 4K, 21.5", Late 2015, 3.1G Quad Core i5, 8G RAM with Big Sur 11.2.2). Over 5 days (with 2.5 hours of use on 4 of them) the memory consumption increased from 1.72G to 3.37G. This still seems like a big increase for a very modest amount of use. This was with 3646 Albums and 64760 tracks.

Guys, you are not alone with this issue. There are a lot others. See also this post: Memory leak in Roon?!

There are a douzend threads on Memory leaks. It doesnt just impact OSX but unfortunately virtually any platform, also on NUC.

My Mac mini M1 with 16GB restarts everyday, today only listening to Live Radio, not playing any track from Tidal or own library and it went to 3.88 GB memory usage.

1 Like

Hi Dylan, can you update me on the status here please? The latest version continues to leak memory profusely. This and problems with Tidal skipping tracks is really destroying my faith in ROON delivering a robust music player. I could leave my Sooloos server on for months without it impacting playback.

2 Likes

Ditto,. we need a fix here. I came back to using Roon with my local library and Qobuz , and the memory usage just ticking down by the minute. Reboot the iMac, turn wifi on and off,. no love. Problem persists and badly. Please Fix !!

Same with me. MacBook Air core - can’t get more than a couple of days without memory usage rising from 700kb to 1.5mb with associated drop outs and skipping of tracks.

I have a MacBook Pro M1 16Gb or RAM.
Roon leaks like CRAZY. You gotta do something.
It also leaks like there is no tomorrow on my NAS, Synology.
I had to add a cron job to shut down and restart Roon service every night otherwise it was diligently sucking all memory (and I installed as much memory as I could on that NAS, 8Gb)
There is clearly something wrong with your code because these leaks are consistent, regardless of the platform…

1 Like

Hi Kelsen, thanks for wading in. There are reports all over the forum about memory leaks. Sadly none appear to be getting any traction. It really is very frustrating!

Can confirm, 5.5 GB over here.

Roon Core:
macOS 11.5 (10.16.0 according to roon info)
Roon 1.8 (build 814) stable
2018 mac mini - 32 GB ram - local ssd - intel core i7
23,000 tracks