1.8 - what is the thing you most hope for?

Improvements to RAAT that translate to better SQ. Roon is good. I think it could be better sound quality wise.

1 Like

Isnā€™t RAAT lossless? Or bit perfect or whatever?

2 Likes
  1. Rating of individual tracks on a 5* scaleā€¦ Transfer the average rating of the individual tracks to the album level. For example, say that an album has 5 tracks, each rated as follows: 5*, 3*, 1*, 5*, 4*. Then take the average and automatically rate the album as 3.5* =(5+3+1+5+4)/5
  2. Smart playlists based on several criteria (e.g. genre, user rating of tracks etc), that is automatically updated as more tracks satisfy the criteria.
2 Likes

RAAT in a network protocol and delivers your music bit perfect across the network. If the file is lossy, it remains the same.

1 Like

With all due respect, unless 1.8 is planned for June 2023, it may be a bit late to tell Roon what its customers would like to have. Maybe this will help for 1.9 or 2.0ā€¦

4 Likes

HI @Serkan_Kuyumcu, in respect to apple TV App, not sure if you have seen this ā€˜extensionā€™, but it works really well- I would definitely recommend you take a look :+1:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/apple-tv-extension-roon-tv-remote/

3 Likes

Better audio dropout handling.

Iā€™m sure my network is to blame for instability, to a large extent. Mix of wired and WiFi in the house.

But, as long as I havenā€™t pressed ā€˜pauseā€™ I would like for roon to keep trying to resume playback. Currently there might be some stuttering in the flow of music and then roon lays flat on its back until I press ā€˜playā€™ again, upon which music almost always resumes.

For comparison, Spotify is much better at recovering from temporary dropouts.

Better dropuout handling would be very good for internet live radio but also for Tidal playback (my main source).

This is just a minor gripe for an otherwise lovely product.

2 Likes

At least for the sound to be as good as Audirvana or my cd player.
My local Hifi dealer switches to Audirvana when they are demonstrating highend streamers because of lower sq from roonā€¦ John Darko also recon Audirvana sounds better than roonā€¦
This is what we need good quality sound and not stupid toys :muscle:

3 Likes

Good point. But I think the reason some here ask for an apple TV client is more related to use ATV to leverage the HDMI output with full capacity including HiRes and Multichannel output:

I have an Apple TV 4K connected to a surround receiver via hdmi.

With the app MrMc (Kodi compatible) I can play a Flac 6ch audio file on my receiver. The app reads the audio file from my NAS device and generates a PCM multichannel hdmi output on the Apple TV.
I can also play HiRes Audio with 24bit and 48 or 96khz via hdmi to my receiver using the app running on my Apple TV

This proves that it should be possible to create a roon client or a roon bridge as tvOS app supporting RAAT and using hdmi to support 16/24bit and 44,1 48, 96khz PCM audio stereo and multichannel.

1 Like

Roonā€™s a bit perfect transport. I quite like John Darko, heā€™s engaging and enthusiastic, but IMO he believes one or two unlikely things.

2 Likes

Quite right if 1.8 is being Beta Tested it ainā€™t going to change for another year probably ā€¦

With all due respect why do you use Roon if the most important element to you, SQ, is so inferior , I would use Audirvana if its that much better . Cr*p UI and all :smiling_imp:

5 Likes

In this case you use headphones. Ok to wash I grant you a 30 minutes break. That extends the listening period to 331.5 days.

(never trust statistics you did not manipulate yourself)

2 Likes

My requests

1. Automatic back up of music library to another destination. Something similar to Apples time machine ?

2. Airplay 2. Iā€™m being selfish, but have 2 HomePods on either side of my bed. Great to have Roon relayed though these grouped speakers.

There are three kinds of lies, lies ,damned lies, and statistics

Apparently attributed to Disraeli ( Of Gears fame) :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

3 Likes

Iā€™d go for the extra album a day, personal hygiene be damned.

4 Likes

I lost hope long time ago that the many longstanding bugs would ever get fixed. Therefore, my only wish is that they do not break what is already great about the software.

To name some points that make me worried, I would be really ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  of if they touch:

• Big artist images (Artist view, Now playing screen)
  • Genres (mapping and metadata)

Ive spent countless hours customizing both in my library, therefore do not want to lose the work.

I have had this same problem. On my PC I had my music collection seperated in three watched folders. When you use the ā€œinternal storageā€ of ROCK this is not possible so migrating my database to ROCK was a complete mess. This is a very serious shortcoming in ROCK. It can only see the root.

I have managed a workaround by not using the ā€œinternal storageā€. Instead I have made a network share of the internal ssd. This way I have the three main folders again that I can setup as seperate watched folders and the migrated database works again.

I hope it is as free of bugs, glitches, reversions and other unintended ā€˜featuresā€™ as it is possible to make it. Also hoping for an easy and problem free rollout.

3 Likes

The usual demands (so Roon-on-The-Go, Dirac integration, folder browsing, Spotify, and all the others which are currently implemented for platinum-level subscribers only) put aside, that clicking on a name of an artist in an unrecognised song triggers a search instead of bringing up a blank page.

Wild, I knowā€¦

1 Like