1.8 - what is the thing you most hope for?

This for sure. Kind of weird that the slider doesn’t work that way already.

I’d like to see more stable remote application on iPhone and iPad. The application on these devices regularly closes and requires a device restart (restarting the app isn’t sufficient). I’d also love to see support for other HD streaming providers such as Amazon. I realize Roon can’t partner with every one out there, but the HD services should be part of their strategic plan.

3 Likes

What they ought to do, that would solve these problems and perhaps many others would be to add shairport-sync to the Roon Core. So you could airplay to your core, and then output that stream in all the normal ways, basically an airplay radio station. Its technically quite simple, and would add a whole bunch of functionality with limited effort.

They wouldn’t need to deal with indexing, third party apis, etc etc etc. Just a new stream of data, one simple button and tada.

You could send a podcast to a Roon endpoint/group, or stream Spotify, or anything else, even YouTube.

2 Likes

Agreed, but (…)

Simple but not-so-simple, because, to take a basic example, where do I stream my AirPlay to - my core or my ShairPlay-enabled endpoint ? And whose responsibility is it if I pick the endpoint and it doesn’t gracefully switch from Step by Step to Arashi’s All the best 1999-2019, RoonLabs’ or whomever made the enpoint software’s ? What about volume ? Etc, etc, etc…

“inputs” has been a platinum-member feature for a long time. For us normal people, there’s even a community solution with extensions thanks to the hard work of @Jan_Koudijs and others.

1 Like

If you already have airplay enabled endpoints, you can use them. Sending to the core, would allow that stream to take advantage of Roon’s DSP. Volume would have to be set to max on the sending device, which might make it more a tinkering feature as everyone might not remember that.

Edit. It would likely be a feature that wasn’t on by default, like several other “advanced” settings. But for the power user trying to fill a gap, its high value for effort.

Edit2. Doubtless the same can be done for android users with casting.

1 Like

It seems like there are protentional workarounds. I get that I could just send a podcast from my phone to an Airport endpoint Roon might be using. But it gets a bit tedious. Also misses that I might be controlling from my computer, but then controlling from my phone later.

What I’d like is:
Listening to Minor Threat in the Kitchen and Living Room from Roon.
Click podcase tab in Roon and now I’m listening The Daily in those same rooms.

That the arrival of v1.8 once and for all ends the speculation of what will be in v1.8.

9 Likes

Well, I want to know what’s in 1.9… :rofl:

4 Likes

Definitely. I should have had that in my list. Roon seems very twitchy when it comes to even a few hundred millisecond dropouts on WiFi.

In the early evening I often sit on my rear balcony to enjoy the sunset listening to music with my iPhone as the endpoint and playing through Bluetooth headphones. My balcony gets its WiFi via a mesh repeater and everything is perfect with no dropouts until I get up to go to the kitchen to get another beer (they evaporate in the sunshine) at which point it does a mesh transfer to my main mesh device (Amplifi HD) and 9 times out of 10 the Roon connection can’t survive that and disconnects from my iPhone as the endpoint. Simply going into the Roon app on my iPhone and re-selecting my iPhone as the endpoint and pressing play fixes it but it’s frustrating that the connection isn’t robust enough to handle a mesh handoff especially when the endpoint that the Roon Core is streaming to is also a Roon app so presumably fairly modest extra buffering and some retry logic should be able to skate over such a brief loss of network connectivity.

2 Likes

Stupid question, where is the focus button?

Much as I would love to see a bunch of new features, I would just like the current stuff to work in a more stable fashion, no need for resets, no need for clearing out image cache, rock solid performance combined with reworked interfaces where things are too difficult. Actual new features are icing on the cake!

6 Likes

Phone’s hard buttons Volume up/down to control the volume of currently selected zone. Push both to mute…but I’d be happy with just volume up/down.

2 Likes
  • Vertical scrolling
  • iPad portrait mode
  • Copy text to clipboard
9 Likes

Just curious, what would you use this for?

Try Soundiiz

Googling album/artist… etc. The “share” screen is a picture, I can’t copy/paste text from it.

2 Likes

If you go to Albums/ Artists etc, you find focus at the top.

1 Like

A better implementation of Tidal, especially for toptracks.
Better integration and sync (Qobuz, Tidal) for playlists.

1 Like

Better Andoid support is my top hope for this release… I have to search for my Roon core using IP adress almost every time I open Roon, although I hardly do anymore as I loose connection and have dropouts all the damn time… Same mesh-wifi as my ipad, laptop and PC with no connectivity issues at all.

Also Roon Mobile of course, but I’m not getting my hopes up for that before the call it Roon 2.0

Other than that - more and better metadata providers, always! How about Discogs? :smiley:

2 Likes

I was surprised to see that Roon runs without a hitch on GrapheneOS. To me, not seeing a ton of Google dependencies and what have you is a rather good sign of things having been done with care, but maybe I’m mistaken.

1 Like