1.8 - what is the thing you most hope for?

This is likely irrelevant to most users but I would enjoy a large volume control. I use active speakers (KEF LS50W) and I find Roon Remote’s volume control too small. Maybe a larger slider that’s optional but that could really muddy up the UI so just a thought.

4 Likes

I’ve only just started my Roon adventure, but I’d like to see 24-bit depth support for Sonos S2 devices :slight_smile:

This now also, it’s annoyed me plenty but not something I’d have thought of.

2 Likes

I’m not sure I’m up to date here, I’ve only dabbled in Android development. I seem to remember these are difficult to override as they’re dedicated to OS functions. To illustrate, the remote zone isn’t seen as “playing music” by Android, and you’re free to play media locally and control the volume of it. For Roon, the volume controls work for the device’s local zone suggesting this semi-guess is close to the mark still.

Show Tidal top tracks in artist page even if I have that artist in local library.

Tag to listen to later, without adding the artist or album to my library first.

2 Likes

that is of course the focus in your favorite albums. Think it would be awesome to have such a button when searching the Qobuz/Tidal library instantly

For instance, you search for Mahlers 2nd symphony with that filter set at 192 kHz 24 bit, and from those results you pick a famous worldwide orchestra

1 Like

That would surely be a Sonos limitation

Not sure, according to this Sonos KB, Sonos S2 supports 24-bit (44.1kHz/48kHz, FLAC/ALAC) when when streaming from your local music library, Android device, or Internet radio stations.

So it obviously can do it, whether it’s limited to the Sonos app specifically or if Roon would be considered local music I guess is the question.

1 Like

Sonos does it on both Android and iPhone. If you have three zones linked or jus one. To be clear I’m talking about controller, not playing on the phone itself.

What happens if you play something locally on your phone at the same time, or watch YouTube for that matter? Which app wins the volume battle, particularly between a local audio player and Sonos when the phone’s locked? Genuinely curious, not been difficult.

Carl it depends which app is active. If you are inside Sonos app it changes the volume on Sonos.

Mike

I just want the major update released…whatever they call it!

4 Likes

So no control for local background? The “active” app thing is vaguer when the phones locked. Thanks for the info though. I tried a bit of Android development as a hobby project when I bought my first Android phone, a galaxy S3 so a while back :wink: Pretty sure it was impossible then but it’s a lot of confectionery names gone and lots changed. Mostly curious as I’ve not seen any features in the apps I use to suggest it’s changed. USB Audio Player Pro (which drives an external DAC) an the Qobuz app occasionally really fall out with each other over Lock Screen notifications about what’s playing and fight a loop that only power down reliably solves. Even on my shiny newish Pixel 5…

What @Michael_Harris said. Pretty sure nothing if locked. As far as I know on Android, any app that makes sound and has focus is the only that the buttons currently control

Carl just tested it with Sonos playing and YouTube playing on the TV. With the phone off or locked neither changes, but the volume of the podcasy I had been playing went up after I restarted it, even though all three were playing concurrently :grin:

Mike

So it’s possible the behaviour’s still a little tricky then ;). I’d guess all participating programs would have to handle and pass on their events/interrupts cleanly for it all to work properly.

The live experiment is much appreciated BTW Michael.

Cheers,
Carl

Carl I am usually up for a challenge :grin:

I rarely use the Sonos App now so it’s always interesting to go back in and try things out.

For background usage of Roon I normally use it’roXs! as that allows Android 11 to control Roon from the notification menu and it works great.

Mike

1 Like

Unfortunately I’m going to let you down and postpone my participation until tomorrow. That sounds interesting. Thanks again.

Carl

1 Like

when I go back to a playlist it stays on the part of the playlist I was focused on before. Instead of going back to the beginning. Annoying.

1 Like

Bit perfect on Android especially for DAPs and USB DACs. Downloads for offline playback. It’s a bit sad I have to use PlexAmp out of the house…

3 Likes