1 Box Solution for Passive Speakers

Have you tried Cambridge Audio support, they are generally very quick to respond and are very good as a rule.

What is the track out of interest , and is it Roon .or CA

Unless you have passive speakers already you might consider active ones. Hedd Type 05 MK2 and raspberry pi with Hifiberry DAC2 HD e.g.

1 Like

using Roon? or what app? File format and sample rate?

I have a POWERNODE (newest version) and it’s working well so far. It’s powering a pair of Totem Sky Towers and has more than enough power to blast the family out of the living room.

1 Like

For non critical listening, Bluesound streamers are good enough. I have a Node (2021) in my bedroom system and it sounds pretty good. The Powernode should work really well in an office setup for sure.

Hah, my living room is my non-critical space, so it gets the Powernode. My office is my critical listening space has the better setup with DAC/headphone amp, Power Amp, and better speakers.

1 Like

I’m sure there are plenty of people who would happily critically listen on blue sound or even cheaper. Let’s not be too snobbish about this?

1 Like

Absolutely second the Lyngdorf 1120. It’s one of the most feature-rich and nice sounding amps out there, and it has a HDMI eARC if/when you need it. It’s 60 wpc into 8ohm, but it’s all usable power. Its room correction system is widely recognized as one of the best. I have its big brother, the TDIA-3400, and am planning on getting the 1120 for my second system.

3 Likes

Another vote for the Lyngdorf TDAI 1120. It seems to check all your boxes plus has probably the one of the best room correction software built in. Roon ready and runs waaaaaay cool so you can easily stick in a cabinet. I have the bigger brother, the 3400 and would definitely get the 1120 for a bedroom or office set up. Second on the list for me would be a Naim Uniti Atom. Beautiful looking kit, just not sure how cool it runs and it’s Roon ready.

3 Likes

Yes, using Roon. It’s an ALAC 44.1/16 file that I ripped from CD. Nothing exotic, but does seem to lead to repeatable crashes in a playlist where it is second, coming after a DXD album. It will be interesting to see if playing just the ripped CD leads to a crash.

That sounds like a crash in the endpoint when transitioning from DXD to 44.1kHz. A sample rate change naturally triggers the RAAT implementation to handle that.

I guess that if you use Roon DSP Engine to upsample everything to DXD, then it probably won’t crash.

Did not a Moon device have a similar issue reported recently? Is this a bug in the Roon Ready implementation or something else? Presumably, Roon do not test for this when certifying a device (why not)?

This represents something that the implementation must deal with. I’m sure that is tested for certification. However, if a firmware update involves a regression bug, then that is a different scenario.

I am glad that I logged in as I was having a similar dilemma. Wanting to now try speakers for Roon instead of my home setup which is Mscaler->Hugo2->Cayin C9 ->Meze headphones.

My options initially started with Bluesound PowerNode. Realised it is out of stock so thought of the older 2i and then saw the NAD M10 at the corner of the display rack…

Did some research and realised that the Naim Atom although only 40w was just as good or even better. Unfortunately also out of stock.

There is a used Naim Uniti Star for sale at USD2960 and its 1.5yrs old? Should I get it or wait for the Atom?

Planning to run them with Focal Chora 826 or NEAT Motive SX2.

Thanks for reading and any advise. Cheers!

The Arcam SA30 is a great choice. It even has a Phono stage

I’ve only heard the Naim Uniti Atom with Focal speakers but loved it.

1 Like

How did you work out which was best for you without listening to them?

I tried the M10 with KEF R5 speakers two days ago. Thought it was above what I was comfortable spending as initially was looking at the powernote with the cheaper R3. Since there was no stock for the powernote, I didn’t want to buy a speaker and not listen to it. So left the showroom as wasn’t prepared to spend on the m10.
Yesterday went to Naim dealer and tried the Atom with Focal Chora 826 and NEAT Motive. Somehow my budget automatically goes into the small rabbit hole after listening to the Naim. But the Atom was also out of stock, so my thoughts went the Naim Star as I found one selling used. If the 40W Atom sounded good, I can just imagine the 70W! Now just waiting for the seller to agree on my proposed price.

I used Melody Gardot “Live in Europe” to test these combinations.

I have a LUMIN D2, Rega amp, Neat speakers. The LUMIN, running Roon is a revelation. Closest to analogue I’ve ever heard. If the M1 is a patch on that, it’ll be awesome.

2 Likes

I run a couple of systems in my home office (currently quite open plan with no room issues) one of which is the all in one (ish) solution. I’ve tried a Lyngdorf 2170 (with streamer so not an all in one), Naim Nova and Cary AiOS - and stuck with the Cary, moving the other two on. I’m not sure how useful this ‘shootout’ would be for anyone else as the criteria in such applications tends to be very unique. I didn’t quite gel with Lyngdorf sound, found the Naim a bit awkward in use and the Cary surprisingly strong on the SQ front. It has its own foibles, and certainly isn’t the looker of the group! I haven’t any experience of either but both the Densen Chromecast (limited flexibility) and GoldNote IS-1000 (very flexible) were on my intrigue list. If however my better half ever lets me back in to my very boxy man cave (big nodes) I suspect the RoomPerfect of the 3400 might be a very handy feature indeed.

1 Like