12TB USB drive stopped being recognized by ROCK

I have had my NUC for about 5 or 6 months - it’s worked perfectly. It is connected via CAT6 to an LBS Switch which is connected to a Bricasti M3.

Roon Software Version 2.0 (build 1382) production
Operating System Version 1.0 (build 259) production

I use Roon for streaming Qobuz and for my digital library which is on a 12TB external USB drive. I believe the last updated cause Roon to no longer see the drive. When I disconnect the 12TB drive and connect it to my PC Desktop the drive works perfectly and I can navigate just fine.

If I plug a smaller 100GB external drive into the NUC it sees it just fine.

I have tried changing the USB cable and also tried plugging the cable into different ports - nothing
I also logged into the NUC from my desktop and Rebooted it, Restarted Roon etc.

I went back and tried the 12TB again and it works fine on my desktop but still Roon won’t see it.
Strangely I believe this started with the last Roon update…

Please help…

Sounds like you try to use an NTFS formatted drive with issues together with a device running Roon OS. See here how to resolve this if my guess was right:

1 Like

The drive has worked perfectly and just stopped working.
I am running Roon Rock

Doesn’t tell us its format though. Please give the instructions from the post I linked above a try (chkdsk to identify and correct potential issues with the filesystem, properly ejecting the drive to make it work again with Roon OS if it’s NTFS formated).

3 Likes

ok I ran CHKDSK and the format is NTFS

d:>CHKDSK
The type of the file system is NTFS.
Access is denied.

The volume is in use by another process. Chkdsk
might report errors when no corruption is present.
Volume label is 14TB4.

WARNING! /F parameter not specified.
Running CHKDSK in read-only mode.

Stage 1: Examining basic file system structure …
300544 file records processed.
File verification completed.
Phase duration (File record verification): 11.31 seconds.
40 large file records processed.
Phase duration (Orphan file record recovery): 0.00 milliseconds.
0 bad file records processed.
Phase duration (Bad file record checking): 0.80 milliseconds.

Stage 2: Examining file name linkage …
1108 reparse records processed.
375998 index entries processed.
Index verification completed.
Phase duration (Index verification): 1.65 minutes.
0 unindexed files scanned.
Phase duration (Orphan reconnection): 87.37 milliseconds.
0 unindexed files recovered to lost and found.
Phase duration (Orphan recovery to lost and found): 0.75 milliseconds.
1108 reparse records processed.
Phase duration (Reparse point and Object ID verification): 5.31 milliseconds.

Stage 3: Examining security descriptors …
Security descriptor verification completed.
Phase duration (Security descriptor verification): 29.68 milliseconds.
37728 data files processed.
Phase duration (Data attribute verification): 7.32 milliseconds.
CHKDSK is verifying Usn Journal…
537160 USN bytes processed.
Usn Journal verification completed.
Phase duration (USN journal verification): 27.29 milliseconds.

Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems.
No further action is required.

13351934 MB total disk space.
13318797 MB in 275943 files.
94540 KB in 37729 indexes.
0 KB in bad sectors.
784806 KB in use by the system.
65536 KB occupied by the log file.
33053948 KB available on disk.

4096 bytes in each allocation unit.

3418095355 total allocation units on disk.
8263487 allocation units available on disk.
Total duration: 1.84 minutes (110674 ms).

So it is using NTFS and should be fixable if you properly eject the drive on Windows before plugging it in on the NUC again (see the link to the other thread above). This already has worked for many other users running into the same issue. If it’s not working for you, then you may have to wait until Roon support picks up your case.

How do you properly eject? When looking at this drive in File Explorer / Drive Tools - the eject from the menu is greyed out

I dunno; back in the days when I was still using Windows (7) there was a tiny icon bottom right (left of the clock) that allowed for ejecting removable (default setting for external) drives. Other affected users also often just reformatted the drive with the recommended ExFAT filesystem to avoid this issue.

1 Like

That still applies on Windows 10 and 11 (although the icon has changed - now look like an outline of a USB stick with the USB connector at the top) - unfortunately, I can’t show a screenshot because I don’t have a USB storage device to hand.

Hovering over each of the icons should tell you what it is.

If you really can’t identify the icon, you can always shutdown the windows computer and then remove the USB drive when the computer is turned off.

1 Like

After running CHKDSK, I ejected the drive from the tray on my Desktop PC, Rebooted my Intel NUC, restarted Roon on the NUC and then opened the Roon Software - It still won’t see the drive.

If I buy a new drive - do I format it differently than NTFS?
The drive is 14TB.

Thanks,
Gary

The recommended format for maximum compatibility is, I believe, exFAT.

1 Like

I ordered a new drive and will transfer everything onto it. I’ll try exFAT

Can I have your old drive? :slight_smile:

Full form submission

What’s happening?

I'm having trouble connecting to Roon

What type of connection issue?

Something else

I have had my Intel NUC for about 5 or 6 months - it work perfectly. It is connected via CAT6 to an LBS Switch which is connected to a Bricasti M3 DAC with Built in Network Card

Roon Software Version 2.0 (build 1382) production
Operating System Version 1.0 (build 259) production

I use Roon for streaming Qobuz and for my digital library which is on a 12TB external USB drive. I believe the last updated cause Roon to no longer see the drive. When I disconnect the 12TB drive and connect it to my PC Desktop the drive works perfectly and I can navigate just fine.

If I plug a smaller 100GB external drive into the NUC it sees it just fine.

I have tried changing the USB cable and also tried plugging the cable into different ports - nothing
I also logged into the NUC from my desktop and Rebooted it, Restarted Roon etc.

I went back and tried the 12TB again and it works fine on my desktop but still Roon won’t see it.
Strangely I believe this started with the last Roon update…

Hi @Gary_Zimberg,
Thanks for letting us know about this issue. Please post a screenshot of your settings → storage in your Roon client and we will assist you further.

Pls let me know if this is what you wanted to see

I am sorry I posted twice - I thought it better to post into the support forum and didn’t realize the Mods had moved or merged it.
What I really cannot understand is how the drive would stop being seen by Roon, when it appears to be working fine. What happened in the last Roon update to cause this to stop working, as this is the only variable to have changed.
I understand exFAT is preferred, but this drive formatted as NTFS was working, and works fine from my Desktop PC.
Thx

Gary

Hi @Gary_Zimberg,

Thanks for your patience here. Looking at your chkdisk output, you accidentally omitted the /F

1. Disconnect this drive from ROCK

2. Connect the device back to a Windows machine and re-run chkdsk and rerun with /F in the terminal command

3. Then properly eject the drive from Windows and reconnect to ROCK

Please let us know if this helps.

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.