192/24 over HDMI Not Supported on Intel NUC7 series; Can ROCK Help?

I just setup a new NUC7i5BNH as a Roon Endpoint to feed multichannel over HDMI to my Casablanca pre/pro. Everything seemed great until I tried to play tracks at 192/24 resolution. Roon was showing as truncating the word size from 24 to 16 bits. I was pulling my hair out trying to figure out what I had configured incorrectly until I found this thread:

I want to give a shout out to @john from Support for finding this; it definitely saved me a lot of time and aggravation. It seems that the latest Intel HDMI drivers cannot output 192/24 so Roon has to truncate the word length.

Some of the suggestions include installing an older HDMI Display Audio Driver but there are reports of instability with this work-around.

My question is: would installing ROCK on this device allow me to run this NUC as an endpoint and is the HDMI Audio Driver included with ROCK able to handle 192/24 and multi-channel?

TiA!

Hi @John_Winterberg ---- Thank you for the post and my apologies for the slow response here.

In regard to your questions:

1. Yes, if you install ROCK on the mentioned NUC you can use it as an endpoint.

2. Yes, you can output 192/24 multichannel via ROCK as long as the end point accepts the format.

-Eric

1 Like

@eric,

Thanks very much for the response. I was very unhappy with Intel when I found out how they have screwed up their driver. I glad to hear that ROC is done correctly.

Roon support is outstanding. I was very impressed how @john researched the issue and provided the information to the Roon community.

Thanks again!

This topic was automatically closed 36 hours after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.