5,000 song shuffle limit?

Glad to hear there’s a fix coming. I use shuffle at least 75% of the time. Today I was wondering why I was hearing so much Billy Bragg, Beatles, Carmina Burana and Beck. As everyone has said it’s only shuffling, in my case, the As and Bs in the database.

2 Likes

if some of us were beta testers this won’t happen as the focus issue should not happen either and should be easily detected by a daily user, sometimes I feel like Roon does not use Roon, otherwise I am sure they will notice, do you use foobar2000?

1 Like

My thoughts exactly. Thanks for saying this. Shuffling 300,000 tracks should be possible in 2021, but I fail to understand the practical use case when Roon provides so many more intelligent music discovery tools.

1 Like

I don’t think the 5000 is the issue but that it is not random. It is random from the alphabetical order.

If it took 1000 song sample properly dispersed that would meet most people’s needs.

4 Likes

Hi David,
To each their own. I appreciate that some people want to actively work to discover music. 90% of the time I just want to passively turn on my system for the day and let it shuffle through my entire collection. I hear tracks that I really like that I haven’t heard for a month. 1.7 did that perfectly for me and was fabulous for me adding, and editing my collection. I was 100% delighted with Roon. Now I cannot do the 90% reaon that I bought Roon. Very distressing.

3 Likes

And once again that’s not relevant to this bug at all. [moderated] :thinking:

Hi Jim, When I read your point, I think yeah, that is strange. But that is how I have been listening. I get bored with just one genre. And when a Beethoven organ concerto comes on after AC/DC, my reaction is hey neat I forgot that I had that. Maybe if I took the time to just sit and seriously listen for an hour it would be different. But I like the variety. :grinning:

Sorry Matt, but I think that a discussion of listening preferences explains the need for a full random library option.

3 Likes

I don’t think it does matter. Roon had a bug. They understand shuffle should be random like just about every other piece of music software, whether we use it 100%, just to find a mood, or never at all. Jim came into argue from the get go about a feature he doesn’t use and doesn’t care about. And I’ve seen it all over this forum. It’s bizarre to me.

2 Likes

The 5000 random number in itself is not all that bad, if only Roon would pick those 5000 from anywhere throughout the song collection. Indeed, properly dispersed.
By comparison…The Aurender N100H that i sold recently, played only 2000 songs random, but it picked those songs from anywhere on the hard disk.

Hopefully Roon will come out with a bug fix. Hopefully not a random bug fix :rofl:

3 Likes

Hello David,

What i fail to understand is why Roon put so much emphasis on the Focus part ( who played with whom, and when , in what year, which composer, and so on and so forth ) , and not leave the most important part intact:
Namely, to be able to shuffle through one’s entire collection, and derive great satisfaction from that .
This, I think, is the reason that lots and lots of people like and use Roon.

2 Likes

I overlooked the fact that a fix is on the way.

Thank you Mike Fass

I don’t see how this could be a bug. Someone decided on a very specific number of 5,000 tracks. Then someone said the easiest way is to start at the beginning. I doubt Roon intended it to be released this way, but I don’t doubt that it was programmed this way. Sounds more likely that some alpha code made it into the final release.

I’m just guessing, but I don’t think they meant the 5000, but the fact that it only plays from the beginning of the Alphabet, I can understand the 5000, limit, but it should just pick a random sample of 5000 tracks.

Under JRiver I queued up 25691 tracks for 77.9 Days of Play time, o and by the way JRiver will truly play them in any order I like, straight through or Random and will be happy about it.

I tried to play Tangerine Dream’s new box set of 10 CDs in Roon, I couldn’t do it, I had to cancel out after 5 hours, I couldn’t take it :open_mouth:

1 Like

I’d be happy enough if they ensured the 5000 shuffled tracks were selected from my whole library. But I really enjoyed the quick curation element of building a queue as pointed out by @EclecticallyDistinct earlier in the thread, rather than adding so many tracks at once.

1 Like

I want to shuffle my entire 272k library. For me and my weirdness, it’s great having a Chopin track followed by a Led Zep track, followed by a Bob Marley track, etc.

4 Likes

Why shouldn’t Jim_F contribute? The discussion is open to ALL subscribers. Just because he doesn’t do things my way doesn’t mean I don’t value his way of thinking. I want variety in thinking just as I want variety in my music…a LOT of it!

2 Likes

It’s great shuffling huge libraries. I’m always hearing cuts I’m not familiar with, or hearing a cut that I haven’t heard in ages. And I love the way that scuffling creates strange genre shifts, like classical to hard rock, or folk to jazz, or whatever. Variety IS the musical spice of life!

1 Like

Me too I have an all tracks playlist and I shuffle that.

1 Like

I have over 15,000 tracks beginning with “A”. So when I shuffle, 5000 might get me up to Ahmad Jamal. But it also gets me a heck of a lot of ABBA. Although I love ABBA, there’s so much more in my collection that I love even more that ABBA. Then again, as a kid, I used to DX AM radio, jumping from one station to another. Guess I was born with an innate need for variety.

2 Likes

I put everything under one bookmark, and shuffle from that. I also have my 3200 DSD tracks bookmarked as such, and am currently shuffling that… Dang, they sound so good!!

1 Like