5.1 Surround Sound FLAC files stuttering via NUC HDMI output running ROCK

Sorry, but I’m not taking the risk to install a patch designed for a NUC11 unless you confirm is perfectly safe and applicable to NUC10
Besides, it was perfectly working and the only thing changing is Roon updating to new version, no updates or upgrades or setting changes to anything else

I like listening to mch, this is a serious issue

Will check bios version anyway

Hi @noris I am on the same boat. If Roon tests this out and confirms its a BIOS issue on NUC10 then I am willing to give this a try. Can’t be going about speculatively doing stuff at the risk of bricking my NUC.

Hi @Riccardo_Sibilia I set Max sample rate to 48 KHz to get around this issue. I am forcibly down sampling stuff but at least I can enjoy Mch music.

FWIW, I did try the double bios flash on a NUC 11 and it didn’t resolve my specific issue.

Hi
What’s the situation?
Are you investigating the issue?
Timeline?

Hi,
I have the exact same issue since I updated Roon Core as described by the OP with multi channel files. I am using a NUC10i5FNH as ROCK device with HDMI connection to a Denon AVC X-6300H. Please help getting rid of the issue.

I have licensed Roon mainly due to the possibility to play multi channel files.

Thanks for your support!

Hi
Still no news?

No news. I did not attempt to update my NUC10 with the NUC11 BIOS update @noris suggested as I am now using the dedicated HP T630 endpoint as described above and updating the BIOS at this point for me is only a risk since I am no longer using my Core as a zone. Plus @JD_Cincy confirmed above that it did not help with the issue.

It also seems odd to me that all the sudden there would be an issue with the BIOS and Roon when multichannel was was working perfectly for a long time with no changes other than Roon updates.

Hopefully they’ll get this resolved. If/when they do I’ll probably setup my Core as an additional Multichannel zone.

No issue until a couple of months ago, that’s for the last couple of years
I stand my idea: no reason to blame hardware perfectly working when only updates is Roon itself
The silence from support is, anyway, quite loud

Yeah, its a good thing you aren’t seeking troubleshooting help for a pacemaker. Hope you get it fixed.

Hello @noris Please can you provide an update. Even if it says Roon does not care helping resolve this issue which is being reported by multiple users now.

Stgill no news?

News on this issue?

I am also having a stuttering issue with 5.1 files on a NUC/ROCK connected to my AVR via HDMI, but my issue appears with DSD files.

The ROCK is an i5-10210U with 16GB RAM. I’m not doing any DSP on the ROCK, and processing speed never dips below 2.5, so I don’t think it is likely to be a hardware issue.

This has been mentioned on other threads but not sure you’re aware.

Roon won’t play DSD over HDMI and converts the DSD to PMC. The conversion of DSD 5.1 to PCM takes a lot of processing and really puts a strain on the CPU. In my case converting DSD 256 5.1 drags the I7 cpu down to 1x and causes stuttering and skipping.

Playing DSD 5.1 without the conversion to PCM is not an issue.

1 Like

Playing DSD 5.1 converted to PCM 5.1 was no issue until a couple of months ago…

1 Like

Thanks. As far as I can tell, my AVR (NAD T758v3) can’t accept DSD files. I assume you are correct that transcoding on the fly is the problem.

Can anyone recommend a utility that will re-rip those DSD files so I can store them as PCM?

Transcoding is not the issue, at least for me
Of course mch to an AVR should be pcm over hdmi
As said, no issue until a couple of months ago
Same issue for mch flac above 24-96
Computing speed for
mch 24-96 above 100: plays fine
Mch 24-192 around 60: stutters/distortion. never had issue before
Mch Dsd64 around 6: stutters/distortion. never had issue before
At the moment Roon is still analyzing some new files, so real results could be better

1 Like

Dear Roon team,

Would you please provide an update when this issue may be fixed?
I invested mainly due to the ability of Roon to play high-res multi channel files into a Roon license and into an Intel NUC as you recommended. I am starting to get very disappointed with the support attitude that I am experiencing on this issue. Please make me an satisfied customer again as I have been before that problems came up. Thank you so much!

I just discovered a hack that seems to have eliminated the stutter for me (so far). In Settings, Audio, I clicked on setup for my output device, then on Advanced settings. I switched Clock Master Priority to 1 (highest) and maxed out the buffer size (500ms). I’m guessing the buffer change is the big one.

Hey, Roon – maybe give us the option of an even longer buffer…

I had tried increasing priority and buffer size as well, which helped a bit, but did not eliminate the issue with HDMI output on the Core.

My dedicated bridge endpoint described above continues to play flawlessly. A bummer that I had to buy and spin up an additional endpoint but glad I’m not dealing with stutters anymore.