8th Generation NUC's announced

Are the suggested ROCK hardware recommendations still current?

The 8th generation NUCs are widely available. And, Amazon (US) doesn’t stock the NUC7i3BNH system anymore. (So some of the linked page’s urls don’t work - eg. the 1-click link for the 7i3 system with RAM and SSD.)

I’m getting ready to order a system, and I can’t tell if the knowledge-base recommendations are obsolete.

Should I order a 7i7 as recommended, or put together a similar 8i7 system ?

One thing to be aware of with the new 8th gen CPUs found in the NUCs, almost all of them have much higher TDPs than the previous generation, so I’d expect them to run much hotter when running Roon than the 7th gen CPUs. That might also make them noisier and limit their ability to be mounted in a fanless case if that floats your boat.

The i7-8650U looks to be the exception, but is also expensive.

Edit, sorry, that’s already been covered above.

Mine will be in a back office (away from the stereo), in a case with a fan.

Danny

Does Roon Rock support these new 8th generation NUCs?

@brian - any input?

2 Likes

Right, but that was two months ago, and the new generation is now out, with more power, and also higher power usage.

Noted.

For others that may not know, the NUC7i7DN** is part of the 8th Gen line also.

1 Like

There is an issue. Apparently in a recent bios update, the legacy boot option has been removed. If you are on a later bios revision then ROCK will not work as it is unable to run on a UEFI only bios. Note that 8th generation devices are not on the official support list so following the advice of the official guide to update to the latest bios will be counterproductive on these latest devices.

?

The NUC7i7DN** is part of the 8th Gen line also.

Are there plans to support these new 8th generation NUCs? Or, will we have to use Windows?

Hey Steve, see just a few posts up. I shared a link from brian that the NUC7i7DN** (which is 8th Gen…) is supported…

I’m ROCKin one in a fanless case. Very happy with RoonOS performance on this NUC. Should be ‘set it and forget it’ for a few years (I hope).

Hi Sean,

I’m referring to the NUC8I7BEH, which was just released. According to Henry,

“There is an issue. Apparently in a recent bios update, the legacy boot option has been removed. If you are on a later bios revision then ROCK will not work as it is unable to run on a UEFI only bios. Note that 8th generation devices are not on the official support list so following the advice of the official guide to update to the latest bios will be counterproductive on these latest devices.”

I’m asking whether there are plans to support this new model.

Bruce

No worries Bruce,

Putting the model number helps to make it clearer because quite a few people ask if any 8th Gen NUCs will be supported and maybe don’t know that the NUC7i7DN** is 8th Gen and is ROCK supported.

I’ll leave it to Roon to comment if the NUC8I7BEH will be officially supported.

1 Like

Hi @Henry_McLeod

I have been running the NUC7i7DN with the Latest BIO and all it’s needed it’s to impose legacy boot in the BIOS setup. It’s an option in the BIOS. It comes with it off but I have turned on Legacy only and it all worked perfectly.

Thanks
Pedro

2 Likes

Same for me - no issues with the latest BIOS update for my 8th Gen NUC7i7DNHE running RoonOS

2 Likes

That is good to hear. Is it worth detailing how you get legacy boot back as someone on another thread seemed to think he was unable to get it back.

unknown, but it is not supported at the moment.

2 Likes

Danny,

Before I invest in Windows, do you have a time frame when it will be available for the NUC8I7BEH?

we don’t do timeframes.

1 Like