8th Generation NUC's announced

Hi @Henry_McLeod

I have been running the NUC7i7DN with the Latest BIO and all it’s needed it’s to impose legacy boot in the BIOS setup. It’s an option in the BIOS. It comes with it off but I have turned on Legacy only and it all worked perfectly.

Thanks
Pedro

2 Likes

Same for me - no issues with the latest BIOS update for my 8th Gen NUC7i7DNHE running RoonOS

2 Likes

That is good to hear. Is it worth detailing how you get legacy boot back as someone on another thread seemed to think he was unable to get it back.

unknown, but it is not supported at the moment.

2 Likes

Danny,

Before I invest in Windows, do you have a time frame when it will be available for the NUC8I7BEH?

we don’t do timeframes.

1 Like

Has anyone tried yet to install Rock on the NUC8I7BEH? Any luck in getting it to work?

It only started arriving at people’s doors this past week I believe.

Even IF it does work with ROCK for now, since it’s unsupported it’s a bit risky for the price in my opinion since it may break with a future RoonOS update. Unless you’re a risk taker :grin:

Edit: I see you also mentioned Windows in a post above. Roon and Roon Server are obviously supported on Windows…

Hi @Henry_McLeod, ok. I will try to write it down later on.

I tried to install Rock on the new 8th generation that just came out. No luck - didn’t have network drivers. So, I am using windows.

If you use a usb ethernet adaptor it might work I’m sure someone else ran into this on the MOCK thread

I did. Plugable USB3-E1000 works OK.

My first thought was it was you Henry but chickens out quoting you.

did you boot? i thought these NUCs disabled legacy boot in later BIOS versions

Danny,

They allow legacy boot. However, when I tried to run ROCK it told me it could not find any ethernet drivers. So, I gave up and installed windows. I should mention that when I installed windows I also did not have any network connectivity. I had to download the LAN drivers from Intel.

What Ethernet controller did they switch to?

i219V.
i219V.

Interesting. Introduced 2Q15, drivers have been around for a while. I can understand ROCK not having them, but you’d think a current Windows installer would have them out of the box.

Basically the low-power consumer 1G Ethernet controller from Intel. I suppose that makes sense considering one of the driving factors for NUCs is low-power…

same thing here. bought NUC8I7BEH and it boots ROCK just fine but no network drivers. Keeps searching for an IP address. Would prefer to use it’s onboard Ethernet instead of buying an USB adapter. Any plans?

can anyone could tell me if this StarTech USB to Fiber will work with ROCK (NUC8th) ??? thanks