8th Generation NUC's announced

My NUC8I7BEH is now working with ROCK. i’m using an small thunderbolt hub with ethernet. The curious is that the serial # does not show on the webpage of the ROCK.

Which hub are you using?

Adrian, i’m currently using this USB 3.0 hub with Ethernet and it’s working fine.

But will try USC-C with Fiber.

1 Like

Many thanks Flavio

Update the Roon OS to v.1 build 159 and now it’s 100% compatible with the Intel ethernet onboard.

1 Like

Good news, thanks

Seems to have fixed the issue with the i219V on asrock Deskmini 310 as well. THANK you! Running without any additional USB to ethernet adapter now.

Review of NUC8i3BEH/K. According to the review it seems to perform roughly like the 7th gen i7 model.

Just ordered the NUC8i5. I’m wondering if with build 159 the legacy boot issue is still an issue?

Thanks!

Don’t understand what is the meaning of NUC8I7BEH if NUC7I7DN copes with even the most demanding tasks in the Roon (converting to DSD512 with maximum settings). And the advantage of NUC7I7DN is a smaller value of TDP (15W vs 28W) and, accordingly, the ability to use the fanless chassis Akasa Plato . :frowning:

2 Likes

HQPlayer, multiple use device, future proofing, availability and any number of other reasons personal to the user.

That is one great review. For $500, it seems like a worthy competitor to the Mac Mini.

1 Like

Here’s a link to a review the 8i5BEK/H.

TL;DR: the 8i5 NUC is about as fast as the 6i7 Skull Canyon NUC, and substantially faster (in multi-core performance) than the 7i7BNK/H NUC, which was also a 28W TDP quad-core.

1 Like

NuC 7 becoming very rare in the UK.

I’m now using NUC8i7 in bridge mode to my DAC. completely isolated from my network and using Fiber. The results are astonishing. And using the onboard ethernet to control it.

Which models of the 8th gen allow legacy boot to install ROCK?

i’m using NUC8I7BEH.

Not quite:
NUC8i3BEH/K: i3-8109U, Passmark 6248
MacMini 2018: i3-8100, Passmark 8097
Quite a difference. Similar difference for i5 and i7

Oh, interesting! Thanks. Where does this number come from? I hadn’t seen any benchmarks for that machine yet – Ars Technica seems to not be quite sure even what chip is being used.

The i3 8100 is a guess on my part (i3 and 3.6GHz). Could also be an i3 9000 or 9100, but that would not make a huge difference. The performance per core is not really different between 8th gen and 9th gen Intel and the 3.6GHz was stated by Apple, which would point to the i3 8100.
The Passmark score is for the processor, not for the machine. This is of course disregarding any throttling that the machines might have under load.
The main difference is the NUC is using a low TPD CPU, the MacMini a Desktop CPU.

1 Like